Author Topic: Where is Caolasraide or Coalasraide, Argyll?  (Read 13232 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Caolasraide or Coalasraide, Argyll?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 August 14 09:59 BST (UK) »
Ian,  here's the local Knapdale website,

http://www.knapdalepeople.com/

Skoosh.

Offline Carl Fletcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 January 15 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Information provided on the history of the Fletcher family as recorded on page 332 of the Heritage of Lobo township says "the Fletcher and Crawford families lived in a little town in Argyleshire 14 miles from Tarbet.  Both families were interested in shipbuilding and carpentry. Archie Fletcher 1807-1882 married Margaret Crawford 1818 -1891 in the Presbyterian church in Cara Argylshire January 16 1838."

sorry to add more confusion to the discussion

1.   If the naming of the town was incorrect and it should be Tarbert not Tarbet then that would support other comments posted re south Knapdale

2.  Is Cara mentioned as in "the Presbyterian church in Cara"  a short form or a misheard or mashed version of the Gaelic for Caolasaraide after being passed down through generations?
3.  Or do they really meant Tarbet  which is located on Loch Lomond also near a narrows between  Loch Lomond and Long Loch meaning there was a cara 14 miles from there.

Would be great to sort this out

carl fletcher

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 January 15 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carl,

Hello from a Scottish born Fletcher living in Canada, who once lived in Tayvallich, North Knapdale, Argyll before immigrating here. My Father and I work together on trying to sort out the various Fletcher lines in the area.
It's definitely Tarbert. As you say, the one without the R is miles away from Knapdale.
Cara is actually a small island off the west coast of Knapdale.

Mary Fletcher Harris
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline iancraw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 January 15 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carl,

I can't answer your questions but I believe the mysterious Caolasraide I am looking for is a village that was near Tarbert.  The area I was raised in Canada included Caradoc and Lobo townships was originally settled by many families from the Knapdale area.  There are still members of the Fletcher family who farm in Lobo township.  It is possible Margaret Crawford is connected to my family but I have no records past my great great grandfather who was born 1801 in South Knapdale.

Ian Crawford

Offline Carl Fletcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 January 15 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mary and Ian

After I made the posting  I found and  downloaded a map from Wikipedia (search Argyll)  of Argyllshire from the 1850's and Loch Lomond is not part of Argyllshire so looks like that supports Tarbert with an R,  Did not see Caolasraide on the map.

Mary - a cousin of mine has our pedigree being Fletcher of Dunan's going back to the chiefs. Not my research so am accepting it at face value.  No question of being from Argyll though as the predominate family names are Archie, Duncan and Donald on this side of the Atlantic!

Ian  Yes I am a Caradoc/Lobo Fletcher descendant although I live on the south edge of St. Thomas now.  Lots of Cousins between Komoka and Poplar Hill

My immigrating ancestors Archibald Fletcher and Margaret Crawford are buried in the Lamont cemetery on the Lamont farm on the caradoc lobo townline (yes it would have a different  road name now).  The Lamonts that own the farm are also fletcher descendants.    My dad tells me that the original Scottish settlers of that immediate area called their community Culloden though it seems no village ever came about for the name to stick to.

Archie ,Margaret , their 2 oldest children immigrated with Margaret's four brothers  Dugald, Malcolm, Archibald, and Dr. Allen Crawford.  The Crawford's father was Malcolm Crawford who immigrated later.  Margaret Crawford Fletcher is my great great grandmother but it seems that the Fletchers have lost Family "consciousness"  of any Crawford cousins.

Carl Archie Fletcher  fletcherfamily@rogers.com

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 January 15 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carl,

Fascinating! Yes, to go back to the beginning, the Fletchers were originally Irish migrants maybe 5,000 years ago, as were most of the Celts in Argyll. In fact, Argyll is actually Earra-Ghàidheal meaning land of the Gael. The Fletchers were originally MacInleisters. They reportedly first emerged as a clan from the barren looking Glen Orchy where the ruins of their 16th century castle Achallader can be found today. They were cattle people and drove herds back and forth across the highlands, out to green islands to fatten and down to southern markets. Likely around the time of the Union of the Parliaments in 1707, when English markets opened up to Scottish traders, The Fletchers became wealthy. The 9th Chief of Clan Fletcher, Archibald "Gillesbuig Na Crannich" Fletcher, purchased Dunans, a manor house on the Cowal Peninsula, and he and subsequent generations added onto it until it became a castle. The chiefly family lived there until their lines ran out. It is in bad shape (had a fire) and is now in private hands, but the owners are making a great effort to repair and restore it.
As for me, I descend from the 9th Chief's younger brother, John of Inveroran. The 8th Chief, their father, also an Archibald Fletcher, had 2 other sons - Angus and Donald. My father has been trying to piece together our ancestry for many, many years. We believe that a son of John of Iveroran, yet another Archibald Fletcher, was my 5x great grandfather. My particular branch was involved in cattle too, but also in sheep, working as shepherds for many generations right down to my grandfather and father.
My 2x great grandfather, Alexander Fletcher, went to the Isle of Mull in the mid 1800s to work with a cousin at Glen Aros. He married there and had 10 children. Mull has several Fletcher branches, all brought to the good grazing in previous centuries. They all claim to be "different" Fletchers, but my father always believed there is only one (spread out) Fletcher family in Argyll. A Y DNA test done by my father and one of the Mull Fletchers proved that we are indeed related. You will also find traces of Fletchers on islands such as Islay and Jura. I bet grazing is why your Fletcher was on Cara! You will also find Fletchers at points of land where sea crossing was favourable.
Shepherds can be found in multiple locations over the years. Agricultural families might stay "a lease" in a house and find it unsuitable, then move along. My father has letters of recommendation for both his shepherd grandfathers, given as they left their jobs, and it's a big pile of letters!
We have been in touch with 2 branches of Ontario Fletchers since our own arrival from Scotland in 1967. There are the descendants of Alexander "Squire" Fletcher in the Bowmanville area (another DNA match) and Fletchers in Oro Township, Simcoe County, who came here from Islay in the 1820s. We are located in Simcoe County too.

Mary Fletcher Harris scotincanada@gmail.com
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline jrhay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 April 15 05:55 BST (UK) »

My immigrating ancestors Archibald Fletcher and Margaret Crawford are buried in the Lamont cemetery on the Lamont farm on the caradoc lobo townline (yes it would have a different  road name now).  The Lamonts that own the farm are also fletcher descendants.    My dad tells me that the original Scottish settlers of that immediate area called their community Culloden though it seems no village ever came about for the name to stick to.

Archie ,Margaret , their 2 oldest children immigrated with Margaret's four brothers  Dugald, Malcolm, Archibald, and Dr. Allen Crawford.  The Crawford's father was Malcolm Crawford who immigrated later.  Margaret Crawford Fletcher is my great great grandmother but it seems that the Fletchers have lost Family "consciousness"  of any Crawford cousins.

Carl Archie Fletcher  fletcherfamily@rogers.com

Margaret Crawford's brother Archibald married Janet Graham who figures in my family as several of my ancestors settled in Lobo and the surrrounding area.  I would be interesting in at least knowing who were Archibald Fletcher's parents.

As for Caolisraide and Cara I had made enquiry about this back in 2005 and received the following in reply from the Archivist of the Argyll and Bute Council:

"The place name you required about is one of those names for which there is
no standardised spelling.  It can be found as Killislate, Keilslate,
Caolislate, etc.  The name has totally disappeared today, but originally it
was a district lying partly in the Parish of Kilberry and partly in the
Parish of South Knapdale.  Since the boundary change in 1891, however, it
has lain entirely within South Knapdale.

"My suspicion is that the name “Cara” is a misreading for the place name
“CARSE”, in Caolislate and in the Parish of Kilberry in the 1830s.  There is
no Presbyterian Church in the island of Cara.  Kilberry Parish Church,
however, which is Presbyterian, is adjacent to Carse."

This latter makes sense as there is a marriage between Archibald Fletcher and Margaret Crawford on 13 January 1838 in the parish of Kilcalmonell and Kilberry.
Jim.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 April 15 07:18 BST (UK) »
Just curious, but have you looked at this, especially,the map? :-

http://meekwrite.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/autobiography-chapter-6-under_1.html

Regards

Malky

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 April 15 12:43 BST (UK) »
Caolis is just a narrows Malky, there are a lot of them about.

Skoosh.