Author Topic: John and Elizabeth Hughes Llansanffraid, Sycharth, Briw, Llangedwyn  (Read 3284 times)

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John and Elizabeth Hughes Llansanffraid, Sycharth, Briw, Llangedwyn
« on: Monday 07 July 14 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm tracing the Hughes line back but have got stuck at John and Elizabeth Hughes around 1810 John was a tenant of Alltgoch on the Llangedwyn Estate 1830 - 1840 in the Township of Trefailew between Llangedwyn and Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant. Tracing baptisms of their children I find what seems a trail:

Census gives John from Llansilin and Elizabeth from Llanrhaiadr (Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant)

Census                1841                Alltgoch, Llangedwyn
Birth of David   04th Oct  1829   Priddbwll, Sycharth
Birth of Thomas   10th Jun   1827   Priddbwll, Sycharth
Birth of Catherine   15th May 1826   Briw, Llangedwyn
Birth of Mary   17th Feb  1821   Briw, Llangedwyn
Birth of Richard   12th Jan  1817   Llansantffraidd
Baptism of John     3rd Oct   1813   Llansantffraidd

I've found a marriage certificate:
Married John Hughes & Elizabeth Morris Llansantffraid 23 Jan 1815
But they're 'both of this parish' so doesn't look as if it's the one.

On the Llansilin side (John Hughes 1841, age 50, 1851 age 61 or 64):
John born to Thomas & Elizabeth, Moelfe,  Aug 1780
John born to Richard & Catherine  Lloran   1787
John born to Edward & Elizabeth   Sychtyn Apr 1776
John born to Edward & Elizabeth   Lledrod  Oct 1787
John died, son of Edward & Elizabeth, June 1788

Any information or help in determining which John appreciated.
Any recorded vetting of tenants for Llangedwyn Estate where John was a tennant?

Hughes - Llangedwyn, Llanfechain, Llanrhaiadr, Llansilin
Roberts - Llandisilio, Montgomeryshire
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Mitchell - Windygates, Fife
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline Ann Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John and Elizabeth Hughes Llansanffraid, Sycharth, Briw, Llangedwyn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
Records to tenants of the Llangedwyn estate,if available I would imagine would be kept by the Williams Wynn estate office at Cefn,St Asaph.

I live at Priddbwll now,and during house renovation 10 years ago we found an empty envelope addressed to Mr Hughes when we opened up a sealed fireplace,so we put it back before rebuilding the wall......I know that doesn't help you in your search but thought may be of interest.

Kind regards
Ann

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John and Elizabeth Hughes Llansanffraid, Sycharth, Briw, Llangedwyn
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 July 15 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Records to tenants of the Llangedwyn estate,if available I would imagine would be kept by the Williams Wynn estate office at Cefn,St Asaph.
They are - at least that's what I was told when I went to Llangedwyn Hall to ask though I haven't yet followed up with any query to them. As I didn't know where Alltgoch was, I did go to Ruthin Archive in the Old Jail where I found an Estate Agents a/c for the above John Hughes for 1848 with itemised bill: "Cae Ucha, Cae Canol, Cae Tyucha Ty, etc with keys for each field to a tithe map which I also found there.
I live at Priddbwll now,and during house renovation 10 years ago we found an empty envelope addressed to Mr Hughes
Because I was looking for Alltgoch at the time it never crossed my mind to look for rent books etc for Priddbwll or elsewhere.
The envelope is of interest, thank you - anything that might be before the first 1841 census is - I guess the John Hughes I'm after would have been there before the advent of stick-on stamps (Penny Black 1840 according to Wikipedia). Llangedwyn Show results reported in newspapers also help, though the earliest example I found was in 1857 when John Hughes of Alltgoch won the second prize of 10s for Best Garden in the Parish of Llanrhaiadr-ym-Mochnant at Llangedwyn show. 10s (50p) was the rent charged in 1848 though for what period I'm not sure.
Hughes - Llangedwyn, Llanfechain, Llanrhaiadr, Llansilin
Roberts - Llandisilio, Montgomeryshire
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Mitchell - Windygates, Fife
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell