Author Topic: Samuel Jones Ch 16 Jul 1815, Priorslee, Madeley, Shropshire  (Read 3409 times)

Offline 5Sylvia2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Jones Ch 16 Jul 1815, Priorslee, Madeley, Shropshire
« on: Tuesday 08 July 14 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have Samuel Jones Ch 16 Jul 1815, Priorslee (Near Telford) Parish Madeley, Shropshire, Eng.
Parents Thomas Jones & Elizabeth – LDS Batch: C064921.

PRIORS-LEE, a village and a chapelry in Shifnal parish, Salop.

I've not see a copy of the Church registry for this Christening but I know his father was a Labourer as listed on his marriage cert.

Shropshire Marriage Record.
No: 112 - Married 11 Apr 1841 at Parish Church Broseley, Shropshire, Eng.
This being after Banns by me: William Harris - Curator.
Samuel Jones - of Full Age Bachelor Occ: Miner Res: Broseley -
Father: Thomas Jones Occ: Labourer.
Married Elizabeth Griffiths - of Full Age Widow Res: Broseley - Father George Rogers Occ: China Making (but spelt Macin) Manufacturer (Spelt Facturer) - Both left their Mark for Signatures. In the Presence of: John Smith & Richard Smith.
Note: Neither father is listed as deceased, so possibly still alive?
They didn’t always list if deceased or not.

I'm trying to work out who his parents are when and where they married. Samuel seems to be the only child born in Priorslee. 
Couple of possible marriages for his parents but no way of knowing if any are right. Can anyone eliminate a marriage as not connected to Samuel?
Thomas Jones married Elizabeth Howels, 18 May 1807, St Peter, Wrockwardine, Shropshire, Eng
LDS – M006621 & I033730. Ancestry.com list it as 1701383 Page 68 & as 908233.
Both of this Parish, both marked X. Witness 1: Ann Howells X mark; Witness 2: John Houlston (Church Clerk). (Wrockwardine is Abt 6/7 miles from Priors Lee & 10 from Shifnal)

Thomas Jones married Elizabeth Cooper, 11 Jul 1808, St Peter, Wrockwardine, Shropshire, Eng -
Ancestry No: 1701383 Page 83 also as 908233. By Banns, showed that both were of this Parish and both marked X. Witnesses: John Davis, John Houlston (Church Clerk).

Thomas Jones married Elizabeth Brasen, 1 Jan 1810, St Peter, Wrockwardine, Shropshire, Eng –
Ancestry No: 1701383 Page 98 also as 908233. By Banns. Both were of this Parish and both marked. Witnesses: John Roden and John Houlston (Church Clerk).

OR we can’t 100% rule out if this is really OUR Samuel Jones Christening Entry?
With the Ages on the Census records they range Bet: 1815 – 1821 so 1815
Priorslee entry I still feel is the best? as Shifnal further away.

Samuel JONES – Ch 10 Jan 1813, Shifnal, Shropshire, Eng
Parents: Thomas Jones & Mary – LDS No: C048861.
Also a sister - Elizabeth Jones – Ch 11 Feb 1816, Shifnal, Shropshire, Eng.

Not sure if any below are ours?

These entries were listed in the Broseley Tithe Apportionamet – 1838
Landowner: Jane Legge – Occupier: Thomas Jones - Plot 35d Area 0/0/5 – Description: House.
Landowner: John Onions (He is Iron & Coal Master) – Occupier: Samuel Jones - Plot 1961 –Area: 0/0/5 – Description: House & Garden. Landowner: Samuel Lister Occupier:
Samuel Jones                               
Plot: 357e Area: 0/0/9 - Description: House, Bakehouse, & Garden
Plus 5 Entries of Landowner – Joseph Jones? & 2 Entries Occupier – Elizabeth Jones.

Because Thomas & Elizabeth Jones is so common I can't work out if both or either are still alive for the 1841 Census. Thomas isn't listed as deceased on his marriage cert?
Samuel is already married and his parents aren't with him. Only wife and his step children.

The ages & birthplace vary, for this family in the Census Records.
With the 1841 Census many put Yes of County thinking it meant living in county at time of census and not that they were actually born of county.

Sunday 6 Jun 1841 Census Ferey Field Rd, Broseley, District Madeley, Shropshire, Eng. (Really Fiery Field)
Samuel Jones - Age 20 Occ: Coal Miner Yes of County
Elizabeth Jones - Age 20 Yes of County
Emma Griffith - Age 6 Yes of County.
Samuel Griffith - Age 4 Yes of County.
Thomas Griffith - Age 2 months Yes of County.

Emma Griffith was buried on the 13 Oct 1849, All Saints, Broseley at age 14 years -
Abode: Broseley. Burial Entry No: 891.

Any information to help break my barrier would be greatly appreciated. I've heaps of Broseley records but they start early right through to abt 1770's which is still too early for me to gain from them. Cheers Sylvia - Brisbane Australia