Author Topic: "Not in Unity" in Quaker records?  (Read 2221 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Not in Unity" in Quaker records?
« on: Tuesday 08 July 14 17:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry, it's probably a very simple thing, but in Quaker records, what does "not in unity" mean near the parents of a named child, please?
I assume that it may mean that the parents are not actually full members of the Quaker movement - but they seem to be connected to some sort of baptisms? Please can someone enlighten me?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: "Not in Unity" in Quaker records?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 18:24 BST (UK) »
married out of unity means one of the couple wasn't a quaker

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 19:14 BST (UK) »
The practice of "disownment" proclaiming that someone was not in unity with the main body of Friends had been in use since the earliest years, but now it had additional applications. Previously acknowledged members could be disowned for various faults, including disorderly walking, bankruptcy, and marrying non-Quakers, though as the discipline was applied by Monthly and Quarterly Meetings, practice varied.
http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/History_of_Quakers_in_Britain_and_Ireland

Stan

Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 18:50 BST (UK) »
I don't think it was in connection with marriage - the people listed are names of the children, with what I would have assumed were baptism dates ( not sure if Quakers would do child baptism) but the "Not in Unity bit was after the names of the parents - who also pop up in a Scotch Presbyterian context, where some of their other children were baptised. This was in late 1700s / early 1800s, and was in quarterly meeting minutes, I think.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 19:23 BST (UK) »
Quakers neither practice baptism nor celebrate the Eucharist. Registers are kept of births http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engqfhs/Research/records.htm#Births
See also http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engqfhs/Research/records.htm#Disownment
Stan
Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 July 14 23:15 BST (UK) »
- So, could it be that the parents intended their children to be recognised by the meeting, but were not actually full members themselves? I did think that they did not have infant baptism, but was unsure if there was a formal acceptance / membership procedure.
Thank you very much for the references - interesting. I learn so much from people here.