Author Topic: "Not in Unity" in Quaker records?  (Read 6718 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Not in Unity" in Quaker records?
« on: Tuesday 08 July 14 17:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry, it's probably a very simple thing, but in Quaker records, what does "not in unity" mean near the parents of a named child, please?
I assume that it may mean that the parents are not actually full members of the Quaker movement - but they seem to be connected to some sort of baptisms? Please can someone enlighten me?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Not in Unity" in Quaker records?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 18:24 BST (UK) »
married out of unity means one of the couple wasn't a quaker

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 19:14 BST (UK) »
The practice of "disownment" — proclaiming that someone was not in unity with the main body of Friends — had been in use since the earliest years, but now it had additional applications. Previously acknowledged members could be disowned for various faults, including disorderly walking, bankruptcy, and marrying non-Quakers, though as the discipline was applied by Monthly and Quarterly Meetings, practice varied.
http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/History_of_Quakers_in_Britain_and_Ireland

Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 18:50 BST (UK) »
I don't think it was in connection with marriage - the people listed are names of the children, with what I would have assumed were baptism dates ( not sure if Quakers would do child baptism) but the "Not in Unity bit was after the names of the parents - who also pop up in a Scotch Presbyterian context, where some of their other children were baptised. This was in late 1700s / early 1800s, and was in quarterly meeting minutes, I think.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 19:23 BST (UK) »
Quakers neither practice baptism nor celebrate the Eucharist. Registers are kept of births http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engqfhs/Research/records.htm#Births
See also http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~engqfhs/Research/records.htm#Disownment
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 July 14 23:15 BST (UK) »
- So, could it be that the parents intended their children to be recognised by the meeting, but were not actually full members themselves? I did think that they did not have infant baptism, but was unsure if there was a formal acceptance / membership procedure.
Thank you very much for the references - interesting. I learn so much from people here.