Author Topic: Looking for Thomas and Eliza Bishop in 1841/ 51 possibly Wantage  (Read 4449 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Thomas and Eliza Bishop in 1841/ 51 possibly Wantage
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 February 18 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Since posting this, I have been pursuing a James Eltham who had a family in London, but looks like he was born near Bath s/o John and Ann. He appears to have had a sister Eliza bapt Timsbury Somerset in 1811.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=786799.msg6420846#msg6420846

Could she be the Eliza who married Thomas Bishop?

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Thomas and Eliza Bishop in 1841/ 51 possibly Wantage
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 October 19 11:16 BST (UK) »
I have found a tree on Ancestry, which I am now trying to verify, that may have my missing Thomas Bishop.
The tree has a John Bishop born abt 1790  who married an Ann Mulles (no dates given). They had a James and Thomas baptised in Fulbrook, Oxon in 1812 and 1813 respectively, then Mary Ann, Eliza and William baptised Wantage in 1815, 1818, 1822 respectively. Mary Ann married in Wantage in 1834 to Henry Rose and James married in Wantage to Lydia Hulcup in 1843. She was a widow, maiden name Farmer. Eliza seems to have several illegitimate children but did not marry. There is no further information on the tree for William or Thomas. But it does place a Thomas Bishop of the right sort of age in Wantage as it looks as if his family moved there between 1813 and 1815.
I didn't just find this tree at random, I have a DNA match to the tree owner, but through a different line (Hawkins). I have checked the Hawkins side on the tree and it matches with what I have also found, so it gives me some confidence in the research.

I have found a John Bishop of right sort of age in Wantage in 1851, born Northmoor, with William (but b 1836) John says he's married but no wife with him.
There is a John Bishop age 40 in 1841 with William and Eliza (but they seem too young). Looking at the image it looks like there was a 5 behind the 4, as if age 50 might have been scratched out.
Can anyone help fill in the gaps please.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott