Author Topic: Storrie family of Garvieside House, West Calder  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Chudleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Storrie family of Garvieside House, West Calder
« on: Wednesday 09 July 14 08:32 BST (UK) »
Please does anyone have information about the Storry or Storrie family of West Calder.  I am related to Jessie Storrie who married Peter Mungall in 1874.  She was the daughter of John Storrie, farmer, of Garvieside House and Janet Murray.  I have just established a DNA connection with another Storrie family, connected with Linlithgow, and I am trying to identify the link.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Storrie family of Garvieside House, West Calder
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Janet or Jessie Stor(r)i/e(y), wife of Peter Mungall, was my 4th cousin twice removed. I have quite a lot of information and would love to exchange notes, especially on the Linlithgow connection. I will PM you.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Storrie family of Garvieside House, West Calder
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 July 14 15:49 BST (UK) »
Chudleigh, I sent you a PM a week ago. Did you get it?

This is the bones of what I know about this branch of the Stor(r)i/e(y) family, whom I shall spell Storry from now on.

Jessie or Janet Storry was the second daughter and fourth of seven children of John Storry (1822-1906) and his wife Janet Murray (1824/8-1909), who were married in Bathgate in 1847.

Jessie or Janet married Peter Mungall on 22 June 1874 at Gavieside and they had four children that I know of. Janet or Jessie died on 22 September 1884 at Broomhill, West Calder and Peter died on 28 January 1926 in New Mexico, USA.

Of the four Mungall children one son died in infancy and another son died unmarried at the age of 26. The remaining son John married Edith Gibbon and had two children that I know of, Claud and Edith Mary. The only daughter Jessie married John Charles Edward Chapman. I do not know if there were any children of this marriage.

John Storry (1822-1906) had five more children by Christina Glencorse (1846/7-1926), who was the estranged wife of John McDonald. John Storry left his wife and first family, and lived out his days with Christina and the second family, changing his (and their) surname to Stewart in the process.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.