Author Topic: Glass Slides, 1900-1910  (Read 4593 times)

Offline mikehicks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Glass Slides, 1900-1910
« on: Monday 27 June 05 14:40 BST (UK) »
I have a number of glass photographic slides of family from the early 1900s, the type used in magic lanterns. (They are positives not negatives). They are about 3" square and shot with incredible detail.

Does anyone have any experience scanning these things? I have tried but I always get a double image from the scanning light reflecting off the 2 sheets of glass which encapsulate the image.

Thanks!
Mike
Cartledge, Rushton, Winnington (Salford/Manchester)
Hicks(Manchester, Monmouthshire)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Glass Slides, 1900-1910
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 June 05 17:55 BST (UK) »
If you dont have a negative/slide scanner which is capable of this size you could try scanning without the lid down to allow the light through or with thin film/gauze over the back to reduce the light thrown back

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 June 05 23:22 BST (UK) »
This may be a question that PrueM can answer. In the mean time here are a few links to check out. They might be able to give you some clues as how it's done.

http://www.luikerwaal.com/newframe_uk.htm?/inh_lantaarns_uk.htm

http://www.winternet.com/~akaske/Personal/lantern.html#Introduction
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 June 05 10:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Deadants, but my skills end at the scanner platen!   ;D

I'm guessing the best way would be as Falkyrn suggests, with a slide/neg attachment on your scanner.  I have an old scanner that doesn't have such a thing, so I went hunting on the internet a little while ago, looking for ideas of how to scan slides/transparencies as I have many more recent family pics in 35mm slide format.  I came across this site:

http://www.abstractconcreteworks.com/essays/scanning/fluoroflash.html

which says you can use a handheld fluro lamp with a plastic tupperware lid as a diffuser, instead of a special slide scanning attachment.  I tried it with my magnifying lamp, which has a round lens surrounded by a circular fluro tube, but I got alot of interference between the scanner light and the fluro.  I didn't have the patience to fiddle with it so I am getting a friend to do my scanning instead!  ;)  I think it would be worth a try though.

Whatever you do, don't undo the glass slides - the slide is very thin and may break, as well as the image being fragile.  If nothing else works, I suggest taking them to a professional lab to have the scanning done (and tell THEM not to undo them either!)

Prue

Offline mikehicks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 June 05 10:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks all for your ideas and suggestions. I just need to free up 12 hours a day to do all the nice things.

Mike
Cartledge, Rushton, Winnington (Salford/Manchester)
Hicks(Manchester, Monmouthshire)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 June 05 10:37 BST (UK) »
My scanner does slides, it is a conoscan 8000f  and the results are truly impressive for a mid priced scanner. It will scan 4 x 35mm slides at a time at 2400ppi so you get a good size picture.

Here's a slide I did earlier this year. A picture of my brother and I 1965 school sports day. I'm the blondie on the left. But you can see even in this reduced size that the reproduction is quite adequate.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)