Author Topic: Emigration from UK during WW1  (Read 665 times)

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emigration from UK during WW1
« on: Monday 14 July 14 14:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Was it possible for ordinary ie non military personnel to emigrate from UK during WW1 after Lusitania was sunk? I am imagining that commercial liners were not operating because of the threat from u-boats and/or being taken out of service for use in war effort. Am I correct or was there some possibility for people to travel abroad from UK during this period.

TIA

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration from UK during WW1
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 July 14 17:49 BST (UK) »
Smiths listed as leaving the country (UK outward passenger lists - shouldn't count military).

1912: 6752
1913: 7093
1914: 4459
1915: 1468
1916: 1118
1917: 383
1918: 345
1919: 2924
1920: 5313

An example: The New York sailed Feb 3 1917 from Liverpool, and reached New York on the 12th. Passengers included women and children, and a 16 year old boy, Clarence Aubrey Smith, heading to work in Montreal. Checking through a few of the names, many seem to be Canadians or Americans heading home - perhaps they figured it was worth the risk of the journey to get themselves safely home and well away from the front.

Several are crossed out, though - those who booked but didn't sail.  While in principle the Germans weren't "supposed to" be targeting passenger ships (the Lusitania had been carrying war munitions, and the Germans felt this and other factors qualified treating her as a military target) , I am sure many did not find "supposed to" particularly comforting!

The further drop-of in 1917 is probably largely due to the "Liner Requisition Scheme" as well as the entry of the US into the war.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ikas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration from UK during WW1
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Jorose,

Many thanks for your reply. Obviously a possibility then for those with a good enough reason.

Thanks again