Author Topic: Richardson in Magherafelt  (Read 4560 times)

Offline steve246

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richardson in Magherafelt
« on: Tuesday 15 July 14 02:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I’m seeking information on my Northern Irish forebears and have gone as far back as Lewis Richardson (c1787-1873), who was a printer in Magherafelt.  Lewis’ son William Henry Richardson (also a printer) was my great-great grandfather.  William Henry married Matilda Wallace in Maghera in 1852 but after she died in 1864 he married again to Margaret Steele in Magherafelt.   
I have no idea who Lewis was married to, or how many children he had (although I have found a daughter Margaret), or where he or William Henry are buried - I do know they are in Magherafelt.  I have found almost all of William Henry’s second marriage children (13 of 14) but have no details on children from his first marriage (pre 1865).
As I’m in Australia and the information on Lewis Richardson and William Henry’s early children are getting back before civil-registrations, can anyone suggest where you would go to find these sorts of things out, if I were to make a trip to Northern Ireland to do some searching on the ground.  I’d only have limited time so thought it would be worth asking for some advice beforehand.
Thanks for your help.
Steve

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richardson in Magherafelt
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Lewis lived in Moneymorepass Street in Magherafelt wherehe rented a house and yard. He also rented a garden in Meadowwell Lane. Info comes from Griffiths Valuation of 1858. See http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline terrydew

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 April 15 15:58 BST (UK) »
Morning Steve (where you are) - have you been corresponding with David?  I gather you may have been over here last year. My wife's(and David's) father was William Henry Richardson.  I have been concentrating on my own family, but would appreciate being able to add more Richardsons.  I use the Ancestry (previously Broderbund?) programme.  Prefer direct to (*)

(*)Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline steve246

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 April 15 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry,
Nice to hear from you.  I've replied to your email address.  Let me know if you don't receive it.
Cheers
Steve

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 April 15 10:13 BST (UK) »
New resources have come online since this topic was started but not sure what additional information you might have found since then. Just in case... Googling 'lewis richardson & magherafelt' gives this garbled birth record-
Belfast Morning News, 15 Apr.1861: BIRTHS. April 12, at Magherafelt, the wife of Mr. H. Richardson, printer, of a »on [son].

1861 directory http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/PT_Mpage649.htm (under Magherafelt)
Richardson, Lewis & Son, printers, Church Street.

Hi,
   Lewis lived in Moneymorepass Street in Magherafelt wherehe rented a house and yard. He also rented a garden in Meadowwell Lane. Info comes from Griffiths Valuation of 1858. See http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

The Valuation Revision Books are now online at www.proni.gov.uk and cover properties from the printed version of Griffith's Valuation until c1930.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Roberts1959

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 April 15 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hello - delighted to find this thread! Steve - we've 'met' via Ancestry. I am descended from Lewis Richardson (b. 1787) through his son Alexander - then his son, Leander Murray - and his son Leander. Leander's only child was my mother Irene (nee Richardson)(who is still alive aged 87 years and living in Edinburgh). Murray Richardson's shop was a landmark in Dungannon, where my mother was born and grew up. I am very interested to trace the Richardson further back in time - to find out when and how they came to Ireland. The printing interest seems to go right back to Lewis. I wonder of there are any records of his marriage or his apprenticeship? Is there a tombstone in Dungannon or Magherafelt (where I believe the family are buried?). Anything I have about the family is on Ancestry. I would be very interested to learn anything more about this interesting family.

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 06:16 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on a Margaret Richardson, probably born about 1770 who possibly married a John Caulfield about 1788 in Londonderry?
thanks for any help
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline CAMPBELLCOLIN

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 April 20 21:46 BST (UK) »
Just found this thread.
I am also descended from Lewis Richardson.  My grandfather was Arthur George Richardson, grandson of Alexander Richardson of Dungannon.
Roberts 59, I believe our mothers were second cousins and knew each other as children.  My mother was Joan Richardson and spoke of Uncle Leander in Dungannon.