Author Topic: Family History/Local History Group for Porthmadog??  (Read 9047 times)

Offline laren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family History/Local History Group for Porthmadog??
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 06:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
Report in Cambrian News 01/08/1919:
"The marriage of Sergt. Robert Owen Jones, Australian Army Medical Corps, son of Mrs Jones and the late Mr Robert Jones, Slate Works, Portmadoc, and Miss Elsie Lloyd Hart ................
.....   Sergt and Mrs Jones spent their honeymoon at Penrhyndeudraeth amongst their relatives and friends, prior to their departure for Australia."
The wedding took place in Penrhyndeudraeth, where the bride lived (3mls from Porthmadog). The bride's late parents and numerous relatives are named. Only relatives of the bridegroom that are named are his mother, late father, and ..."a sister of his (Mrs Lewis and her husband, Dolgelley)."
Emyr

Thanks for that. I will try and get a copy of the original report. FYI, a transcription of their wedding certificate is in his WW1 service record.
Stockton, NSW, Au - WW1 Service Personnel - http://ww1stockton.blogspot.com.au/

WATSON - Uddingston, Scotland -> Bendigo, Australia
CANET - France -> London -> Victoria, Au
SAPSFORD - Great Hallingbury and Edmonton, England
FREEMAN - Derry and Cork -> Glamorgan, Wales -> NSW, Au
BLANDTHORN - Chester -> Sandhurst/Bendigo, Vic, Au
HARPER & BRAY - Cornwall -> NZ -> Sandhurst/Bendigo, Vic, Au
RANN - Edmonton -> Vic, Au
WHITLEY - Waltham Abbey -> Edmonton -> Vic, Au
ABERNEATHY - Ireland/Scotland

Offline laren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 06:07 BST (UK) »
Hi
Robert Owen Jones died in Australia in November 1946, according to notices in Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate, 16th November 1946.

JONES. The friends of MRS ELSIE LLOYD JONES and FAMILY, of 47 Mackie-avenue, New Lambton, are invited to attend the Funeral of her dearly loved husband and their father, ROBERT OWEN, to move from our Private Chapel, 21 Darby-street, Newcastle, Tomorrow (Sunday) Afternoon, at 2.15 o'clock, for the Crematorium, Beresfield.
WOOD COFFIL LIMITED
Funeral Directors.

Also:

LODGE FRATERNITY No. 405
U.G.L. of N.S.W.
JONES.- The Officers and Members of the above Lodge are invited to attend the Funeral of the late Brother ROBERT OWEN JONES. For particulars see Family Notice.
G. TAYLOR   W.M.

Also similar notice by :SEDGWICK MARK LODGE  No. 75

Also:

JONES. - November 15, 1946, at Sydney, ROBERT OWEN, ex-Captain 1st and 2nd A.I.F. and Cavalry Field Ambulance, beloved husband of Elsie Lloyd Jones, and loved father of Nancy and Bobby of 47 Mackie-avenue, New Lambton.

Perhaps descendants of Robert, if traceable, can provide info re descendants of his siblings.

No response to newspaper letter to date - 15:25 04/08/2014 over here.
Emyr

I will definately be following up locally, now that we know Robert came back to Australia. And I suspect Llewelyn may have as well.

Thanks for all the follow up.

Offline colleen Taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 July 15 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Michelle,

Robert Owen Jones was the grandfather of my husband Lloyd Walter Taylor. I have researched his family history quite extensively and am currently focused on the Jones side from Porthmadog. I am at present researching the period he served in the two world wars.

I do not know a great deal about his family in Wales and would appreciate any information you can provide. I am very happy to provide you with information regarding his family in Australia. His son Robert Anwyl Lloyd Hart Jones (my husband's uncle) passed away on the 28 February 2014 and his daughter Nancy Lloyd Hart Taylor (nee Jones) my husband's mother predeceased her brother on the 11 April 2012.

I am most interested in anything you can share on Robert Owen Jones and his family. So far I have only been able to track his history back to his service in WWI, so I am particularly interested in his life and family in Porthmadog and his decision to migrate to Australia. I would be happy to share with you any information I may have that would be of interest to you regarding his life and family in Australia.

Regards
Colleen Taylor
Brisbane Australia.

Offline laren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 July 15 02:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Michelle,

Robert Owen Jones was the grandfather of my husband Lloyd Walter Taylor. I have researched his family history quite extensively and am currently focused on the Jones side from Porthmadog. I am at present researching the period he served in the two world wars.

I do not know a great deal about his family in Wales and would appreciate any information you can provide. I am very happy to provide you with information regarding his family in Australia. His son Robert Anwyl Lloyd Hart Jones (my husband's uncle) passed away on the 28 February 2014 and his daughter Nancy Lloyd Hart Taylor (nee Jones) my husband's mother predeceased her brother on the 11 April 2012.

I am most interested in anything you can share on Robert Owen Jones and his family. So far I have only been able to track his history back to his service in WWI, so I am particularly interested in his life and family in Porthmadog and his decision to migrate to Australia. I would be happy to share with you any information I may have that would be of interest to you regarding his life and family in Australia.

Regards
Colleen Taylor
Brisbane Australia.

Dear Colleen,

I'm in Australia as well, in Newcastle. I haven't done a great deal about his life in Wales as I'm concentrating on his WW1 experiences.

I've PM'd you with further info.

CHeers,
Laren

Offline colleen Taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 03 July 15 04:55 BST (UK) »
Laren,

Thank you so much for the additional info provided in your PM.  I am unable to reply using the RootsChat PM system. Therefore I have sent some info re Robert Owen Jones to your gmail address.

Best regards
Colleen

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 July 15 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Colleen

You can usse the PM system after three posts; so if you do one further post you should be able to send a PM.

Emyr appears to have done quite a bit of research on the family; I am sure he will be around shortly.

Nesta

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 July 15 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Michelle,
This WW1/AIF Project your working on; is this your own personal project or part of something bigger ?
Got no replies to my letters to the papers or other postings on Rootschat re. the family.

Hi Colleen,
Did Llewelyn, Robert's brother, also emigrate to Australia ? Do you know anything about Robert's parents-in-law ?  Do you know where the name 'Anwyl' in 'Robert Anwyl Lloyd Hart Jones, comes from? Have you any info re the other children of Robert and Margaret Jones ?

Hi Nesta
Here I am.
Been living in Pentrefelin nearly 2 years now; we still haven't met.
Emyr

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 July 15 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Emyr (waves)

I know - do you know we have probably passed in the street !!

You're local to around here aren't you - if so you may have known my dad, Owen Pritchard .....also known as Now - he used to work with BT.  He would have been 91 this year he was quite the local historian and he and Robert Cadwalader used to go and give lectures about Criccieth; dad had lots of photos.

We must meet up !
Nesta

Offline colleen Taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 July 15 06:40 BST (UK) »
Robert Anwyl lloyd Hart Jones was my husbands Uncle - The name Robert was from his fathers side, Anwyl, Lloyd and Hart came from his mothers side of the family. I have no idea what happened to Llewelyn .  His war records state that he returned to Australia and was discharged on the 2 February, 1919 besides that I have no idea.

Regards
Colleen Taylor