Author Topic: Francis Pigott of Luton  (Read 8569 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis Pigott of Luton
« on: Tuesday 15 July 14 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi!
    Can anyone help with the following?

I have a Francis Pigott baptised at Luton on 29 July 1683, son of a John and Rebecca Pigott. Francis married a lady called Sarah and had two children:

Francis Pigott baptised 8 September 1717 Luton

Sarah Pigott baptised 4 March 1722 Luton

These records were obtained from Familysearch. Also on Familysearch there is a John Pigott baptised 3 May 1724 Lutn, son of Francis and Mary Pigott?

There are a couple of trees on Ancestry which say Francis Pigott senior married Sarah Adams, and that she was bon c 1686 at Offley, Herts, but it gives no details of her parents, nor of the marriage (if any?).

Any help really appreciated! :D

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Pigott of Luton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 15:45 BST (UK) »
Virtually all of Beds marriages pre 1813 have been extracted onto the IGI. I can't see any 1700-1730 for a Francis Pigott, let alone two. Which implies that they didn't marry in Beds.

Have you checked the Allen Marriage Index at https://www.hertsdirect.org/ufs/ufsmain?ebz=1_1405435055956&ebd=0 for marriages in Herts? I can't see a suitable one in Herts either.

If the Ancestry trees don't have the marriage I'd be interested to know how they've established she was Sarah Adams from Offley when they don't have a baptism either.*

* See http://apps.bedscc.gov.uk/bedsccis3/detail.aspx?parentpriref=110014205 which says Sarah Adams was of Kings Walden Herts and Francis of Stopsley (which was a hamlet of Luton)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 18:10 BST (UK) »
The Francis Piggott, baptised 8 Sept 1717 son of Francis & Sarah Piggott is most likely the 30 year old who married Mary Okey at Luton on 1 Feb 1747/48. They also baptised Sarah on 4 Mar 1721/22 & John on 3 May 1724 although the transcript says son of John & Mary/Sarah Piggott.

This Francis Piggott farmer of Stopsley has a will ref 1777/3 and he was buried 9 Dec 1776. This leaves stuff to my wife Mary Piggott who is sole executrix, my son Thomas Piggott (his grandfather's lands at Whitehill Farm in hamlet of Stopsley), my son Francis Piggott, my son Richard Piggott, my daughters Hannah, Elizabeth, Mary, Ann & Judith. Will is dated 12 Oct 1776. The will also appoints my brother Richard Oakley of Offley, Herts to be trustee to administer my wishes.

** Mary Piggott, widow of Stopsley was buried 12 Dec 1780

There's another will for Francis Piggott, senior, yeoman farmer of Stopsley ref 1745/11 who was buried at Luton on 23 Jan 1745. He leaves all my messuage & tenaments in Stopsley to my eldest son Francis Piggott and to my now wife Sarah, my son John Piggott, daughter Elizabeth Piggott, my daughter Sarah Roberts & grandson John Roberts. Will dated 14 July 1744   
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 16:09 BST (UK) »
I have used Genes Reunited for many years and it seems I have access to more trees than the Forestry Commission  ;D, one of which has your Francis Pigott 1683-1744 marrying Sarah Adams baptised 23/09/1686 at Offley, Herts, daughter of Joseph & Sarah Adams; however there is no marriage date but Beds Archives online catalogue has an entry dated 1712 Settlement on marriage of Francis Pigott of Stopsley and Sarah Adams of Kings Walden, Herts. Messuages and closes at Stopsley
They baptised children :-
Thomas 27 Feb 1713 at Lilley - died 1740
Francis 8 Sep 1717 died 1776; married Mary Okey 2 Feb 1747
Sarah 4 Mar 1721 married Joseph Roberts in 1742
John 3 May 1724 died 1802; married Mary Samm 1 Oct 1748
Elizabeth 1726

Francis's parents were John Pigott 1642 & Rebecca Crawley 1656 who married 2 Feb 1678 at Luton & also had John 1679, Mary 1681, Elizabeth 1686, Thomas 1690, Samuel 1692, Rebecca 1694 & Mary 1697.

All the above gleaned from this tree but you will need to verify this yourself for accuracy.

Cheers John

Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 17:09 BST (UK) »
Wow, Cheers John! Will have a good look at this later but thanks so much, especially on the information on Sarah Adams! Much appreciated! ;D

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 18:07 BST (UK) »
I don't place any more reliance on GenesRe trees than I do on Ancestry trees. In fact less so! Particularly when Offley baptisms are on the IGI and I can't see one in 1686 for Sarah Adams. You need to check the parish register for the entry to see if it's real or a figment of someone's imagination.

I posted the link to the marriage settlement yesterday, but didn't put all of the detail,  and I'd also check Kings Walden parish register to see if she was baptised or married there.

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hi!
    Have had a quick look at Familysearch and theres nothing for Sarah Adams at Kings Walden or Offley (nothing what I can see anyway!).

There is a marriage of a Sarah Adams to Thomas Breyer on 23 September 1686 at Offley, Hertfordshire and they appear to have two children:

Sarah Breyer baptised 23 March 1686 Offley Hertfordshire

William Breyer baptised 27 August 1690 Offley Hertfordshire

The only record I could see for any Joseph Adams is one being born c 1661, died 19 March 1740, buried 22 March 1740, Friends Burying Ground, Hertford (Quaker?).

Thanks again! ;D

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi!
    I think Sarah Breyer baptised 23 March 1686 at Offley, Hertfordshire could be the Sarah Adams who married Francis Pigott in 1712?

It looks like her mother Sarah Adams married Thomas Breyer on 23 September 1686 at Offley Hertfordshire?

There is a marriage of a Joseph Adams to Sarah Neal on 2 October 1681 at Sundon Bedfordshire but not sure if these are connected! :D

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 22:03 BST (UK) »
You can speculate until the cows come home; the only way to sort this out is to consult the parish register.

I think Sarah Breyer baptised 23 March 1686 at Offley, Hertfordshire could be the Sarah Adams who married Francis Pigott in 1712?

Why? Was the baptism date 23 March 1685/6 which the IGI is showing as 1686 ie Sarah was illegitimate, or was it 1686/7 which is 1687 in the modern calendar so would be after the marriage date of 23 Sep 1686. In either case why would Sarah Breyer have married as Sarah Adams?

It looks like her mother Sarah Adams married Thomas Breyer on 23 September 1686 at Offley Hertfordshire?

The Allen Marriage Index, the url for which I gave you yesterday, confirms this marriage