Author Topic: Where in Limerick City was John D TRAND buried in 1854?  (Read 2472 times)

Offline Bonza

• RootsChat Extra
  • Solving mysteries, that's the life!
    • View Profile
Where in Limerick City was John D TRAND buried in 1854?
« on: Wednesday 16 July 14 14:25 BST (UK) »
G'day Limerick Board Rootschatters

Where in Limerick City was John D TRAND buried?

Is there anyone out there who can please help me with this problem?

One of my x3 Great-Grandfathers, John D TRAND, died suddenly on Henry Street, in Limerick City on Sunday 11 Dec 1854, whilst walking home from visiting a friend. He was stated as late of Ennis and an accountant. the source for this is the 13 Dec 1854 'Limerick Chronicle' newspaper report, which is on the Limerick City website.

There's a record of a Probate existing for him too. The date is 1852, probably the date of the Will, but I haven't been able to view this record either and find out if the Will and Probate record have survived. This record points to him being late of Lifford, Clare, which is now part of Ennis.

TRAND seems to be a very rare and unusual surname in Ireland, but I have no information on his ancestors at all. He was supposedly married to a Hannah KENNEDY and they had at least four children born in Limerick and Clare between the 1820s-1840s, John, Patrick, Annie and Maria. I have no christenings for the children or marriage or burials for the parents either.

All the four children emigrated to the Victorian Goldfields in Australia during the 1850s.

This may or may not mean anything, but the name in Australia has also at times been recorded as "Le TRAND" or "de Tronde", etc and there's the family story on this line is that we have "French Ancestors". But who knows?

It's difficult to make much progress with research in Ireland from here in Australia without the help of others, so I'd really appreciate any information anyone can dig up on the TRAND family.

Thanks for reading my query and also for the effort anyone puts in for this query  :)

Cheers for now

Bonza (Neil)
Melbourne, Australia

P.S. I wonder if I should also post this query to the Clare forum? Or can it be tagged there?
Gill (Northants & Oxfordshire), Cockfield (Scotland), Sherriff (Leicestershire, Northants, Oxon & Bucks), Lindsay (Cumberland), Lacey (Somerset), Bisson (Guernsey, CI), Claringbold (Kent & London), Boyd (Dublin, Ire), Crouch (Sussex), Leviston (Dublin), Trand (Clare, Ire), Lewin (London & Surrey). 1824-1825 Hume & Hovell Expedition to Port Phillip - party members Hamilton Hume, William Hilton Hovell, Thomas Boyd, Henry Angel, James Fitzpatrick, Claude Barrois, Benjamin Smith & Samuel Bullard.