Author Topic: Army records for Sidney Crook  (Read 699 times)

Offline Paul Crook

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Army records for Sidney Crook
« on: Wednesday 16 July 14 23:20 BST (UK) »
Seems like an annual question but I am posting this in case someone new to the website is reading this and can help.

Have asked similar question on another post but still need help on one aspect of my search for Sidney Crook (thanks to all those who have replied to my Norfolk and USA posts - they have told me so much that I didn't know and I'm very grateful indeed). I think Sidney was in the Army in WW1 (as were his 3 brothers) but I can't prove it. He may also have used the middle name Robert (he was using it by the time he emmigrated to the States in 1926). Could someone see if Sidney Crook or Sidney R (Robert?) Crook was in the Norfolks or Suffolks (he lived I think in Thetford or Rushord) (It may also be that he had moved to Suffolk by 1914 - he was registered there in 1926) or indeed any other Regiment. If he was in the Norfolks his service number may have been 12125 but I am by no means certain this was him. Perhaps someone can tell me how to prove the address of the chap who was given this number?

Once again all help much appreciated and sorry if you've read all this before.
Thanks
Paul

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Army records for Sidney Crook
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 July 14 02:01 BST (UK) »
A good place to search is the Medal Index Cards which the National Archive has online.  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/medal-index-cards-ww1.htm

There is a 12125 private Sidney Crook in the 2nd Norfolk regiment who could be your man.

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Army records for Sidney Crook
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 July 14 08:06 BST (UK) »
In the first place, almost two-thirds of WW1 Service Records were destroyed in a WW2 bombing raid.

Secondly, he may have joined any regiment?
Just because he lived in Norfolk does not mean that he joined the Norfolk Regiment!
During WW1, soldiers were allocated to any regiment that needed personnel.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)