Author Topic: Winifred Peake, Corwen  (Read 10002 times)

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Winifred Peake, Corwen
« on: Thursday 17 July 14 21:10 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

Ive posted here before about my Jones family.

My G-Grandfather Henry Edward Jones (1862-1945) married a Margaret Peake (b.1863, Corwen) in Liverpool, in 1882. Henry's G-Grandfather was born in Corwen too which I thought was a coincidence at first but there appear to be more links than previously thought.

Margaret Peake's uncle, William Peake (b 1840, Corwen) married a Winifred Jones (b. 1843, Corwen) - who I think (hope) could be related to Henry. There are quite a few winifred jones in my Jones family tree, so Im hoping to find out a bit more about this lady and see if it shes related in anyway?

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Winifred Peake, Corwen
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 July 14 11:25 BST (UK) »
Do you have any origins for this Peake family?I have looked at this Corwen Peake family before now.I have a Peake family that lived in the Ruabon and Chirk area in the 1700s but I've found few links going forward.

Regards
William Russelll Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 July 14 16:06 BST (UK) »
Margaret Peake was the daughter of Robert Peake (1836-1893) and Martha Thomas (b.1839, Corwen).

Robert Peake, and his brother William (mentioned below), along with Thomas (b.1835) and Jane (b.1827) were the children of Evan Peake (b.1801, Corwen) and Mary. I have the parish records for Corwen and there are no Peakes before this.

I think Evan Peake was the son of Evan Peake (b.1758, Llandrillo 's/o Hugh', d.1829, Corwen)and Jane. Don't have parish records for Llandrillo, but can't find any living here before this date.

There is an interesting document at the NLW (ref. no. 2368): 'Deed whereby Hugh Peake of Denbigh Gent. bought lands for £600 in Llandrillo & Llansantffraid from Robert Ellis of Llansaintffraid glan Conway', dated January 1750. I'm not sure if this is Evan's father, but probably a relation. All the Welsh Peakes seem to originate from Denbigh. I haven't traced back any further.

Do you have any information on Winifred Peake (nee Jones) or connections between Jones and Peakes in Corwen/Cheshire/Lancashire?

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 July 14 16:10 BST (UK) »
Having re-read this deed I don't think it can be the same family after all. It's probably Llandrillo yn Rhos, not Llandrillo by Corwen, as this is next to Llansantffraid Glan Conway.

So the Peakes from Corwen/Llandrillo may well connect to the family you have around Chirk - do you have any information about them?

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 July 14 21:48 BST (UK) »
Yes I'd previously tried to connect the Denbigh Peake and the Corwen Peake but to no avail.Now the start of my family is with the marriage of a Richard Peake and an Elizabeth Roberts at Whittington in 1731.Now later in that year they have a son John born in Chirk.This is the only son I have for them.The couple also have four daughters,Elizabeth(1732),Mary(1734) who i am descended from.There are also Elin(1737) and Ann(1740.Now I do have a marriage for the John in 1756 to a Margaret Evans.However despite my best efforts I am yet to find any children for the couple.Incidentally the Peake family I have don't connect with my Jones family but rather with the marriage of Mary to John Stephens at Ruabon.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 July 14 22:35 BST (UK) »
It appears that  the marriage of John Peake to Margaret Evans took place at Llangollen 31/05/1756.Though it is given as at Pontfadog on Family Search many marriages which took place at Llangollen are given as such.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 20:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this information!

I'm not sure how it will fit in yet - I'm focusing on the Jones line at the moment!

Interesting that they were married at Pontfadog - as William and Winifred Peak were married there too, though they lived in Corwen all their life.

I have found their marriage in 1866, but having trouble finding Winifred Jones' birth - there appears to be 2 possible records 1843 and 1841, Corwen,. She was the daughter of Edward Jones, of Queen's Inn, Corwen, but can't find anything along these lines.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 22:11 BST (UK) »
Note that what are given as Pontfadog marriages took place in fact at Llangollen.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 22:15 BST (UK) »
Who was Harriet Peake?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***