Author Topic: Sunderland near the Sea, monumental inscriptions  (Read 5949 times)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland near the Sea, monumental inscriptions
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 23:49 BST (UK) »
That is fantastic.  Thank you so very much.  My reading of the situation is that the brothers came south and had a partnership which grew and acquired disparate businesses.  John died in or before 1796 and Hugh and Charles dissolved the partnership with the brothers going their separate ways.  Hugh stayed in Sunderland and seemed to have done well judging by his will.  Charles may have moved on.  Coincidently, Nether Tomdow Farm is now the site of the Tamdhu Distillery which started up at the end of the 19thC.  Thinking of Hugh the spirit merchant, I wonder if father William had a distillery there a century earlier.

James could be a relative, possibly uncle to the brothers. That could be Charles in Whitburn, not too far away but who knows.  Still, I've made more progress on this in the past few days thanks to the two of you than I have in the past few years!

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 09:18 BST (UK) »
Glad to help. If you have any more info on Charles to make him easier to identify in newspapers etc and want to post it I'm happy to have another look.
I couldn't get on to the Durham Record Office site last night to see if I could find anything, there should be something with all the property and business dealings.
Hugh had also been in partnership with Thomas Taylor as common brewers, there's a notice on the London Gazette site issue 17003 page 709 (15 Apr 1815) dissolving that partnership.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 09:58 BST (UK) »
That is a very kind offer, only if you are at a loose end.  All I have on Charles is as follows:
Parents, William Miller 1719-1794 and Elizabeth Cummings 1716-1788 of Nether Tomdow Farm, Knockando, Morayshire
Illegitimate children Sarah 1785 and James 1787 who he had in Knockando with the widow Janet McAllister alias McDonald of Nether Borlum Farm.
His brothers are Hugh and John
His sisters are Isabella and Margaret ?-1789.
There is no record of brother John on the stone so he is likely to have died after his father, between 1794 & the mention of him as deceased in 1796
According to Kirk records when the illegitimate births were discussed, Charles visited Knockando regularly on business from Durham, South Britain.  He isn't buried in Knockando. There was a fire in the 1780s and all Kirk records before that date are lost.
And that is it!

I feel fairly sure he must have a wife somewhere as he didn't marry the widow but if he married the wife in Knockando before 1783 the record will have been lost.  I must try to get into those Kirk Session records again to look for more clues but unfortunately they're in Edinburgh and I'm not.  You are so lucky to have all of those records on-line in Durham.  I'm going to have to try to get to grips with them.  Thanks for all you've done.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 09:59 BST (UK) »
Accidental duplication! Deleted it.

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 13:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry, but I've drawn a blank so far on both the Durham Record Office site and in the newspapers. If no one else finds anything I'll look again in a couple of days when Charles might've let his guard down.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 19:31 BST (UK) »
Charles still appears to be in Sunderland in 1798.

In the Newcastle Courant on 02 June 1798 there is notice of a sale by auction of a freehold brewery at Low Street Sunderland currently in the occupation of Mr Robert Blakiston and also a freehold Close or Parcel of Ground situate at the East end of Sunderland called Chapel Garth and containing by estimation one acre and a half with the houses and other buildings thereon ... now in the several occupations of the said Robert Blakiston,  and Charles Miller.  Further particulars were available from Mr Raisbeck in Stockton.

Nothing to absolutely confirm its your Charles but the connection to the brewery make it a good possibility.  I'll see if I can find anything more.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 20:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking.  I've been giving Durham records online a go and have come up with a possible death for John:
Burials   Sunderland   1796   John   Miller   abt 1749   
Is there any way I can see if I can find a gravestone for him? And if I register on the site and purchase credits, what more would I get on the death entry for John Miller, for example.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
The record is also on FindMyPast but doesn't say a lot:

JOHN MILLER aged 47 buried 12 April 1796. Parish of Sunderland / Holy Trinity

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile