Author Topic: 1911 immigration Ireland to NY on the Luisitania  (Read 2251 times)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 immigration Ireland to NY on the Luisitania
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
Were they stowaways? :o

That might explain why I can't find them on UK records? ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 14:27 BST (UK) »
I would presume that they were legitimate passengers, since they were on the Ellis Island passenger list. 

This gives further information on what the marking on the Lists of Aliens Held for Special Inquiry mean:  http://www.jewishgen.org/Infofiles/Manifests/bsi/

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 15:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you! I viewed the site years ago.... How did I miss it!

I cant find a site that explains exactly what each code number meant, just that there were also things written in (not this case). I did read though a list of reasons why someone could be detained, and I can only imagine that as one of the siblings was 11, they would have been stopped for travelling with a minor, and no parents.

Keane (Westmeath)
Ledwith (Longford/Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)
La Favor/Lefebvre (Quebec)
Mineard/Maynard/Mainard/ Maynord (Wiltshire/Monmouthshire)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 17:30 BST (UK) »
Note that although the list was collected at Ellis Island, it was originally produced at the other end, by the shipping company. This is why you sometimes see entries on the shipping list crossed through - the company made a list up of those who had booked passage, then crossed through those who did not sail for some reason.  The shipping company did their best to pre-exclude anyone who the US authorities might deport, seeing as they'd be paying for the return journey if they did get deported.  (Same reason your airline checks if you need a visa when you check in).

The Keanes have "Under 16" marked, also "section 11" which I think might relate to this:
Section 11 provides that if a helpless alien is accompanied by
a person whose guardianship is necessary to him, the shipper shall
be required to return the guardian together with the helpless alien
when deported.

That is, the youngest sibling was held because they were younger than 16 and not accompanied by or heading to stay with their parent(s). The others were held under "section 11" because if it was decided that the youngest sibling couldn't enter the country, they couldn't just deport an eleven year old by themselves.

You'll see that others on the same list with Sec 11/Under 16 marked include a family where the man's 15 year old brother travelled with them, and the aunt of two underage children.  Presumably in most of these cases either the parents were deceased or had given permission for the child to go abroad - the Keanes weren't held for long, so I guess they were just establishing that the eldest brother was the legal guardian and could provide for her.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Erin2012

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 August 14 15:52 BST (UK) »
Yes, that must be it as both parents had died. It also seems as if the 11 y/o was going to New Jersey and not New York as her brothers. From an interview made with the 11 y/o when she was in her 90's there was no mention of being separated or not living with her siblings upon arrival... So I dont know what happened.

They died in the 20's, 40's, 50's and 90's... So we never will know.

I dont know where they boarded.
Keane (Westmeath)
Ledwith (Longford/Westmeath)
Gray (Sligo)
Eustace (Louth)
Frost (Suffolk)
Farrar (Yorkshire)
La Favor/Lefebvre (Quebec)
Mineard/Maynard/Mainard/ Maynord (Wiltshire/Monmouthshire)