Author Topic: Inebriate Workhouse Guiltcross, Kenninghall, Norfolk.  (Read 3215 times)

Offline Ernesto99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Inebriate Workhouse Guiltcross, Kenninghall, Norfolk.
« on: Wednesday 23 July 14 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Long shot I know, but thought I'd turn to some experts.... Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but would really appreciate some assistance.

My Great Grandmother was Amy Sophia Wiles (nee Morgan) (born in Dartmouth, Devon on 23rd January 1872). She married George John Wiles (born in Lovedean, Hampshire on 10th December 1866).

In 1909 Amy Sophia Wiles, then aged 37 was convicted of 'cruelty to children' and declared a habitual drunkard. She was given a 12 month sentence of hard labour by the Portsmouth Quarter Sessions and is listed at the Guiltcross, Kenninghall Inebriate House in Norfolk on the 1911 census as an inmate at this institution.

Her children are:

Gertrude Amy Wiles (born 7th May 1896 in Portsmouth, Hampshire).
Caroline Emily Wiles (born 17th August 1900 in Clapton, London).
Albert Edward Wiles (born 24th September 1902 in Walthamstow, London).
George Morgan Wiles (born 25th July 1904 in Walthamstow, London).
Valentine Kate Wiles (born 14th February 1906 in Barnet, London).
Ada Mary Wiles (born 9th February 1910 in Portsmouth, Hampshire).

It appears that she was given some sort of 'grace' period before her last child was born in 1910 but then served her sentence.

on the 1911 census the two youngest children (Valentine Kate Wiles & Ada Mary Wiles) are listed as 'boarders' with a family called 'Bundy' at an address in Portsmouth.

Firstly I know that the Mother Amy Sophia Wiles (nee Morgan) got back to Portsmouth as that's where she died in 1942 of 'Senility'. But I was wondering if anybody could help me/assist me on how exactly to locate how Amy got out of the Inebriate Workhouse. I have gathered that the Guiltcross Inebriate Workhouse ceased to exist in 1914 but if anyone in the Norfolk area knows anything about how to trace records I'd be eternally grateful.

Failing that I'm guessing that Portsmouth Parish Registers after 1911 Census are the way to go? Would this be enough to clarify how and when Amy got back?

Sorry for the rant, but would be gratefully appreciative if anybody had any tips/advice for an amateur genealogist!

Cheers :)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Inebriate Workhouse Guiltcross, Kenninghall, Norfolk.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 20:41 BST (UK) »
There's some history and lots of photo's here:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Guiltcross/

Norfolk Archives would normally be the place to go, but a note at the bottom of that page says:
Few records survive — holdings include: Guardians' minute books (1836-99)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ernesto99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 July 14 08:28 BST (UK) »
 Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I do believe that discharge papers don't exist for the period that Amy was at Guiltcross in 1911. So far I have managed to ascertain that the inebriate house itself was being phased out at this time anyway and totally defunct by the 1st World War.

Guess I'll keep on plugging away. I'm pretty sure the answers to how and when she got out actually lie in the Portsmouth Archives, so I guess a trip there is in order.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

Regards,

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 July 14 08:43 BST (UK) »
It does say, on that website:

In 1911, because of falling numbers and changes in the treatment policy for inebriates, the unit began to provide care for mental deficiency cases, with 20 "boys" aged 15-25 being admitted on 19th January. With the passing of the Mental Deficiency Act in 1913, this shift continued and by November 1914, only 35 inebriates remained, almost all of whom were discharged that month to the NII's reformatory at Brentry in Bristol. By the end of 1915, there were 392 mentally deficient boys in residence at the East Harling "colony" which now operated under the umbrella of the National Institutions for Persons Requiring Care and Control (NIPRCC), another organisation set up by Burden in 1908. However, the national Board of Control decided that the facilities at the colony were not suitable and it closed at end of 1916. The last 3 inmates left on 1st January 1917 and its licence was surrendered.

During the First World War, the buildings housed German prisoners of war who worked on the land.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Yasmin 1989

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 January 18 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to solve a similar story. My great great gran Sarah Ann Denton (Dorrington) was also charged with alcoholism and child neglect in 1906. According to a link on Ancestry she was also sent to Guiltcross and I have photos of groups of 'inebriates' from 1908 but would like to confirm that she was there somehow. It seems she was living back with her husband and children in 1910

Offline Ernesto99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yasmin1989,

I was the original poster in this topic and maybe able to help.

I found the Guiltcross list of 'inhabitants' on a different site other than Ancestry (findmypast). If you sign up they have 'inmates' lists and also prison registers for Kenninghall which look like the attachment.

If I can be of further assistance feel free to email me/message me and maybe we can help each other with research?

Good luck!

David

Moderator comment: Image removed to prevent breach of copyright

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Amy was sentenced in January 1911 (Portsmouth Evening News) "to be detained at East Harling Inebriates Reformatory for 3 years". In imposing the sentence the Recorder referred to her previously being bound over for 12 months and sentenced to a year's imprisonment.

Offline Ernesto99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 20:14 GMT (UK) »
@hanes tulu

Many Thanks for that!

I don't suppose you have a link/copy of any article from the Portsmouth Evening News or know where I might be able to find one?

David.

Offline Yasmin 1989

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 January 18 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Very helpful Thank you. The site you linked had the trial record that says she was sent to the Inebriate Reformatory which I assume would have been Guiltcross for 3 years. Still need to get the Guiltcross record though