Author Topic: Quakers in Cumberland 1660 -1740  (Read 6469 times)

Offline lyndo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quakers in Cumberland 1660 -1740
« on: Friday 25 July 14 06:12 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Not really new to family history but have run into something I am having some difficulty with.

I am an Armstrong, Dodgson, Tweddle, Nixon, Routledge descendant from Bewcastle families of these names. :)
Recently I have come to understand that some of these families including Saul and Beeby, Hetherington and Goodfellow as well, were Quakers.

The specific piece of info that I am after involves KIRKLINTON parish.

I have found Symond/Simon Armstrong/Armistrong m. Eizabeth Bell 1670
 in the LDS records with what I presume are brothers

Kinyon Armstrong m. Ann Priestman 1669 ,
John Armstrong m. Elinor Charleton 1668,
David Armstrong m. Janett Hetherington 1667

I am trying to work out who might have fathered them in the hope of finding out more about the family.
I do not have access to Anc... at home.
Would anyone be able to look up the family trees for me and see if any of those 4 boys mentioned
have been entered into a family history.?

I am presuming all would have been born before 1650.

Simon Armstrong is recorded in Besse as having been gaoled a number of times in 1680's for failure to swear allegiance to King and church and unlawful meeting.

The batch file only goes back to 1660.
 Looking at Ejected from 1662 from church for dissenting ministers,( can't remember full name) I discovered that this church at Kirklinton was almost a ruin and had no Bible or Common prayer book. No records seem to have survived through the civil war.

Any help of ANY kind about these Quaker families would be gratefully received.
Bear in mind that I have looked in the batch files for Kirklinton.

Any info on Humphry Twedal/Twiddale/Tweeddall (recorded on LDS as Comphry Twedal) would also be of interest to me as he may be a family member. Also gaoled in 1660-90 for Quaker beliefs.  :o :o :o

A second part to the query could be did any of them head out for Pennsylvania around that time. ???

I am in Australia and so do not have access to the Quaker library in UK which I saw had been referred to in previous posts on this site about Quakers.

Sounds a bit overwhelming when I read back over this. Hope its clear or ask me questions for clarity.

Thanks
lyndo  ;D
MacDermott, Feeley, Ireland. 1850's Govan Lanarkshire
Scotland in the shipyards.

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Quakers in Cumberland 1660 -1740
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 July 14 09:26 BST (UK) »
Visit your local LDS History Centre,Quaker records are available on An****y.
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Online Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 July 14 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

you can search non-conformist quaker records at Family Search here https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1666142.  I have found them really useful as a starting point and also fairly accurate.

Quaker records are all RG6.

I have found that sometimes they can show as being part of Kirklinton, but they aren't.  There should be a record for the local meeting, and the Carlisle monthly meeting and you may find that one may have more extra info. 

You can also do a basic search here http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/ which might give you a starting point.

There was also a non-conformist presbyterian church in Bewcastle, could this be a possibility?

Hope I've put the links in correctly.

J

PS the Carlisle Records Office also hold some information about Quakers http://apps.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=023-dfcf2&cid=-1#-1
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lyndo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 July 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both for replies.

I had read previous posts on Quakers on Rootschat so I am happy to catch up with you J. steelos-Mrs.  You are a gem.

I am very happy to have the links.
Most of my Dodgson/Tweddle/Armstrong ancestors were in the Presbyterian Kirk at Knowe, Bewcastle.
My great great granddad was a Presbyterian preacher in South Australia. He was baptised as a boy at Knowe.

That is good info to know about the records being held in Carlisle. I know that in the mid 1700's the meeting house for Quakers amalgamated to Solport.
How dopey of me to not try the The National Archives!! Quakers played such a big part in British politics that they couldn't be left out of the record.

I am off now at the beginning of a new day for me, to check all of those links.
Thanks J,
regards
julie

P. S.  I am guessing that someone looked up Anc..y trees for me and found nothing.
I knew it would be a longshot in 1650 but you get desperate for a clue sometimes!!
I will book in at my library next week for an anc...y session to look up Quaker records.

Offline lyndo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 July 14 23:19 BST (UK) »

J,
I found Humphry Tweddale in those records on LDS now have children and Humphry's death date!!

Thank you for sharing the info with me. I feel excited about it because it has been a fruitless search til now.

Julie  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D