Author Topic: Fever Hospital Peebles - 1920s  (Read 13870 times)

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Fever Hospital Peebles - 1920s
« on: Sunday 27 July 14 10:24 BST (UK) »
One of my lot - a four year old boy, died of diphtheria in 1926.  His death certificate gives the place of death as 'Fever Hospital Peebles'.  His home address was at Eshiels just around a mile east of Peebles.

What was commonly known as the 'Fever Hospital' was at the Peel some 12 miles east of Peebles - but that was not until 1939.  Originally built to treat injured servicemen and then as a nurses training school and hospital etc.

Could the fever hospital in Peebles in 1926 been what is now Hay Lodge Hospital near to Haylodge Park in Peebles?  Any suggestions gratefully received.

This wee boy (George)would have been an older brother of my father (not born until 1929) - my aim is to trace where George is buried and to visit him there and lay a tribute for him.  The family moved away from the area the year after George died and I'm fairly sure that no one has visited his grave since.

Thanks

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fever Hospital Peebles - 1920s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 July 14 21:51 BST (UK) »
After a bit more searching it seems that Hay Lodge Hospital didn't open until 1983 - so I can discount that.

Some or the bigger houses on the east side of Tweed Green in Peebles were converted to hospitals for WW1 casualties. After the war the part at Morelands House at Tweed Green was gifted to Peebles as a small community hospital. 

Maybe this is where the fever hospital was - does anyone have any info related to that?

Thanks lots

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 July 14 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

We believe the fever hospital was the hospital which used to be opposite Kingsland School (not the new Kingsland School on Neidpath Road). Here is a link to its location on the National Library of Scotland's 1949 OS map, still showing the location as a hospital at that time and across the road you can see the old poor house and the school.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/75652508#zoom=6&lat=3510&lon=5731&layers=BT

Here is the link to the location on the modern Google map: https://goo.gl/maps/EkvWd

My husband thinks he has seen an old photo, Keepasakes antiques in Innerleithen (just a few miles away form Peebles) have loads of local photos and a lot of local knowledge, they may have a photo or know where one is: http://www.keepsakesantiques.co.uk/

Emma

Offline margmo1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 July 14 18:19 BST (UK) »
 there were 2 hospitals in peebles before haylodge opened.
the war memorial on tweed green & the county hospital on rosetta road. the county hospital was known by the locals as the fever hospital
regards
margaret

Offline margmo1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 July 14 18:30 BST (UK) »
I should have said that the county hospital was demolished & has been replaced with private housing. the war memorial is now a nursing home.
margaret

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 July 14 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma & Margaret

Many thanks for your prompt and informative replies - both are extremely helpful and have solved the location issue.  I know the area well and know exactly where the hospital was now thanks to your help.

Thanks too for the tip about the antique shop in Innerleithen - I pass through there every day on my way to work in Edinburgh - unfortunately not at a time when the shop is open - but I will make the effort at a weekend.

I don't know if you have seen this book before - http://www.historyofpeebles.com/Page245.html

The pages linked to provide details of the doctors in the town in early1900s -one of them - Dr Wilson signed my relatives death cert.  I have submitted an enquiry form to Borders Council to check if they have a burial record for  wee George.

Thanks again for your help - much appreciated

Osprey

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 19:58 BST (UK) »
Just a wee update.  A wonderful lady called Angie at Borders Council emailed me today telling that wee George is buried at Peebles Cemetery in lair 1571 - not only that - but she also sent me a site plan and an arial shot of the site and marked the lair location on it.  What a wonderful service and so helpful too - I can't thank her enough.

I'll now make time (hopefully soon) to go and find it to lay some flowers for the wee soul.  It will be terrific if there is a headstone - but I wouldn't hold out too much hope for that.

Many thanks to Margaret and Emma for the suggestions and assistance.

Regards

Osprey

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 22:02 BST (UK) »
Osprey, I had hoped you would be able to get something on this...so glad you did with people's help  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
Monica

As usual Rootschatters help out - makes this forum stand out doesn't it.

Regards

Osprey