Author Topic: Elgin Asylum  (Read 2609 times)

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Elgin Asylum
« on: Sunday 27 July 14 15:06 BST (UK) »
One of my lot - Mary Gordon aged 36 died in the asylum in 1902.  Her death was registered by the Asylum Superintendent (he was noted on the death cert as her guardian).  Mary's parents were dead by then and any siblings or other relatives were no where near that area. 

I am trying to establish where Mary is buried - does anyone know if the Asylum had its own cemetery - and if so where burial records are held.  I am sure there would be many poor souls who died in the asylum and who had no one else to care for them.

Quite a sad story.

Thanks

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Elgin Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 July 14 22:34 BST (UK) »
I am trying to establish where Mary is buried - does anyone know if the Asylum had its own cemetery

No.

She will almost certainly be somewhere in New Elgin Cemetery, but whether it would be New Elgin North, South, East or West I couldn't say offhand.

and if so where burial records are held

They are held by Moray Council in the Council Headquarters in Elgin. The Local Heritage Centre has microfilms of most of the New Elgin burial records, but they have not (yet) been indexed on LIBINDX.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline osprey28

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Elgin Asylum
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 July 14 22:49 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Forfarian

That's very helpful and informative.  Much obliged.

Osprey
Allan / Gordon / Aitken / Milne / Grant / Burnett in Aberdeenshire.  Allan / Alexander / McGowan in West Lothian / Davidson in Fife / Dempster in Lanarkshire / Allan / Burnett USA & Canada