Author Topic: My (and Lenagh's) mystery Robert Hogg  (Read 5836 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
My (and Lenagh's) mystery Robert Hogg
« on: Monday 28 July 14 10:28 BST (UK) »
Robert Hogg was the father of an illegitimate son, Peter, by Janet Finlayson in 1794 in Larbert. The Kirk Session records refer to him as 'Robert Hog(g), a married man, farmer in Dunipace'.

My mother told me that Robert Hogg was related to James Hogg, the 'Ettrick Shepherd'. I have heard the same story from a distant cousin. We are descended from Peter Hogg by his first wife Janet Yorkston. The distant cousin is descended from Peter Hogg by his second wife Margaret Russell, whom he married in 1826. So the story must go back at least 150 years.

There is also a suggestion that the original Hogg came from the Borders to Larbert to work at the Carron Iron Works, which started production in 1760. This came from the obituary of Peter's grandson Thomas, who died in 1934: "Mr Hogg's family had a long connection with the Larbert area and the iron-foundry trade: one of his family came to Carron Co from Selkirk in 1765, and connection has been maintained with the area and the trade ever since." I have had a look at the staff records of the Carron Iron Works, but found nothing useful so far.

If so, how did he come to be a farmer? Or was the farmer his son? How does this relate to the statement that the family had maintained a connection with the (iron) trade, if Robert was a farmer?

On the other hand, a Robert Hogg and Jean Allan had a son Robert in Larbert, baptised 25 March 1758. This is before the establishment of the Carron Iron Works, and to complicate things further, they appear to have had a son born in Edinburgh in 1773, where Robert was a carter. So is this Robert Hog(g) relevant, or is he a red herring?

Any suggestions as to how I might establish the identity of 'Robert Hogg, married man, farmer in Dunipace'?

Previous related topic http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=101484 - now trying to home in on Robert Hog(g).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: My (and Lenagh's) mystery Robert Hogg
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 July 14 13:41 BST (UK) »
Have you checked www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/historical-tax-rolls/farm-horse-tax-rolls-1797-1798/?id=

Volumes 5 and 12 make a reference to Dunipace. The timing is good given the approx birth year of Peter.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 July 14 14:53 BST (UK) »
Have you checked

Thanks, Monica, yes, I have. However it told me nothing more as it simply lists Robert Hogg, Dunnipace. No farm name and certainly nothing to help with his origins.

(There's no approx about Peter's birth year. His arrival in the world is exhaustively recorded.)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lenagh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 July 14 15:12 BST (UK) »
Forfarian, we seem to be of two minds with this one.  I've been looking at the Hogg's for the last couple of days and still getting nowhere.  Even tried overseas, but came up blank. 

I might get a sub for ScotlandsPlaces and see if there is anything other than the horse tax.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 July 14 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Lenagh

This is listing of some of the Tax databases on ScotlandsPlaces:

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/historical-tax-rolls

Monica  :)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 July 14 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thinking about Janet Finlayson. You have mentioned you have Peter's son James very likely staying with grandmother Janet in 1841, and possibly Janet's brother George in the household too. Just for reference here, from 1841:

George Finlayson 50 grinder
Janet Finlayson 60
James Hogg 20

Address: Larbert V(illage?)

Am I right in thinking Peter Hogg was also a grinder by trade? From 1841, again just for reference here for background:

Peter Hogg 40 grinder
Margt Hogg 40
John Hogg 19
Peter Hogg 11
George Hogg 1

Address: Larbert V

Have you tried to follow up on this household from 1841, in particular Malcolm and whether he shows in later years?:

Malcolm Finlayson 60 grinder
Janet Finlayson 35
Robt Finlayson 15 Smith
Chas Pitchpatrick 12
Robt Finlayson 3

Address: Larbert V

There is also a further household in the Village with a James F., 30 and young family, this James is also a grinder by trade.....and a futher entry in the Village, for a younger George F., also a grinder...

Guesses, guesses, looks like the grinding trade may have run through the Finlayson family. Not surprising given the proximity to the Iron Works really. The eldest Finlayson males I can see in 1841 in the Village of Lambert, George and Malcolm we have above. I am thinking the younger Finlayson men, such as James and George for examples and the next generation down.

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 July 14 16:38 BST (UK) »
Another Finlayson who didn't make it past 1855  :-\

From 1851, all born Larbert:

Malcolm Finlayson 81 Retired Grinder
Janet Finlayson 51 daughter
Robert Finlayson 13 grandson

Address: Grinding Mill, Larbert

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 July 14 17:00 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to follow up on this household from 1841, in particular Malcolm and whether he shows in later years?:

Another Finlayson who didn't make it past 1855  :-\
Malcolm Finlayson 81 Retired Grinder

Yes, I have that census too. He could well be a brother of 'our' Janet, but it's finding the evidence that's the prob.... I mean the challenge.  The name Malcolm does run through the inlayson generations.

This one must be the one married to Elizabeth Donaldson, whose daughter Janet was baptised in 1798. However this listing in the IGI is 'community contributed' so not to be taken at face value. There is a 'community indexed' listing of a son Robert to Malcolm F and Elizabeth Donaldson in 1821, which does make me question the 1798 - 23 years is quite a big gap!

There is a Janet Finlayson, baptised 9 June 1770 in Stirling, parents Malcolm Finlayson and Jean Morrison. This couple had several other children, but no George or Malcolm is listed in the IGI, and if Janet was born in 1770, she would have been 71, not 60, on the date of the 1841 census. Also Stirling isn't Larbert.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 July 14 17:45 BST (UK) »
The Caledonian Mercury for 17th February 1791 lists the farmers awarded a premium by the Commissioners and Trustees for Fisheries, Manufactures, and Improvements in Scotland for growing flax. "Robert Hogg Dunapace" in the parish of "Dunapace" received £1 16s 6d. £1 was awarded for every Scots statute acre of flax raised, to a maximum of 6 acres.

The reference is obviously to a specific farm in the parish as other farms in the parish are mentioned by name. It may well show up in Roy's map.