Author Topic: Confused by names in death certificate  (Read 11699 times)

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Confused by names in death certificate
« on: Monday 28 July 14 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
        My 3 Great grandmother Margaret McKellar nee Campbell died in 1855 aged 80, so she had one of the detailed death certificates that were only issued in that year. her parents are given as Duncan Campbell and Nancy McNaughtan.
     Years of searching have failed to find a Duncan Campbell married to a McNaughtan in the period 1750 to 1780.
      The information on the death certificate was supplied by Duncan Thompson, Margaret's son in law. Realising that all family details would have been passed down by word of mouth, I am wondering if perhaps there is an error with her mother's name.
     There is a Margaret Campbell baptised at Lochgoilhead 29.10 1775 with parents Duncan Campbell and Agnes McKoel. Nancy = Agnes, Ann , Annie,  so I am wondering if this might be her parents. The birth in 1755 corresponds with her age of 80 in 1855 and there is a deffinate connection to Lochgoilhead as she was buried there. She died at Coul farm which is near Barnacabba the home farm for the Glenfinart Estate, Dunoon would have been closer for a buriel. The connection to Lochgoilhead could be from her husband Peter McKellar or the Campbell family.
    Is it possible that there might be a Campbell /McNaughtan marriage that I have failed to find?
  I am loath to claim the Duncan Campbell and Agnes McKoel as her parents when her death certificate names her mother as Nancy McNaughtan.
    Any help would be appreciated
 Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Confused by names in death certificate
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
   Just a bit more information relating to Margaret McKellar/ nee Campbell.
 Peter McKellar and Margaret Campbell married 7 Dec 1797  Dunoon & Kilmun Parish reg as McElla
 In the 1841 census she is at Coul with her husband Peter aged 65 = birth 1776
 In the  1851 census she is at Barnacabber with her Son in law Alexander Grierson and daughter Helen, Margaret is  aged 72  = birth 1779
 At her death in 1855 her age is given as 80 = birth 1775.
   I have noted that scotlandspeople say that in some cases marriages were recorded with the husbands name given for the spouse. That is, Duncan Campbell's marriage might be Campbell/ Campbell.
   Are there any other variations for the name Nancy besides Agnes, Ann and Annie ?
 Wyanga
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 00:13 BST (UK) »
I have just had a look at the 1851 census, and both Margaret and her son-in-law are described as paupers. If the parochial board records survive for the parish, they may give quite detailed information about them.

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 00:20 BST (UK) »
GR2
        Thank you for your reply.
    I understand that Lochgilphead is the reposity for Dunoon/Kilmun Parish records.
    I am in Australia so I am not certain of details for the records.
 I understood that those without an income were described as "pauper" in the census
Wyanga

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 00:27 BST (UK) »
"Pauper" should mean they are in receipt of assistance of some sort. In addition to the parochial board records, the Dunoon and Kilmun Kirk Session's minutes are available digitally in the National Archives in Edinburgh and some other archives in Scotland. The reference for the poor's accounts and minutes 1801-1853 is CH2/456/4.

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 10:33 BST (UK) »
GR2
      My apologies if I am interupting you watching the Games.
  I have been into national Archives, Scotland and I see from thier on line catalogue that they have the church records included, but when I search for the CH2/456/4 - I fail to get a response.
   No doubt my searching technicque is wrong.
   Would it be possible for you to take me through the steps to obtain the Dunoon & Kilmun Kirk sessions minutes.
 Wyanga

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 11:56 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid the record itself is not available on-line from home. You have to look at it on screen in the Archives themselves.

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 23:41 BST (UK) »
GR2
      I am afraid that is out of reach for me
  It is unfortunate since Alexander Grierson is another of my brick walls. His birthplace of Wigton Dumfries is confusing since Wigton ism't in Dumfries. I believe that he was a mason working on the renovations at Glenfinart house in the 1840's. He married Helen Mckellar 31 Oct 1837 Dunoon & Kilmun Parish.
   The parochial Board records and the Kirk Sessions minutes may have shed some light on he family.
Wyanga

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 July 14 06:51 BST (UK) »
"Years of searching have failed to find a Duncan Campbell married to a McNaughtan in the period 1750 to 1780."

There is one in Scotland's People, showing as parents for a birth for a Margaret Campbell. Perhaps you are looking in the wrong district.

Regards

Malky