Author Topic: Confused by names in death certificate  (Read 11709 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Confused by names in death certificate
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 September 14 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi wyanga

Try www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html. Type in either Silgrachan in to the search box, or use the co-ordinates: 216745 and 690821.

Pay to view now, but a useful list of descriptions and place names here www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/place-names/Dunoon%20and%20Kilmun?class=parish&county=Argyll

A Campbell family show as living at Sligrachan (indexed as Sligvachan) in 1851. Try freecen http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl for 1841. A useful search as you can search back and forward to see individual household entries which helps you find where a place may be located. On FreeCen 1841, possibility that Sligrachan may have been indexed as Hijerchan

In order of how the households show:

Craig Coll
Hijerchan...I think the Campbell family from 1851 also show here in 1841
Drynan
Barnacabar
Coul
Glenfinart

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 September 14 12:56 BST (UK) »
Monical,
             I think that I may have found the Sligrachan marked on a map . If it is the right one it is several miles further up the valley from Barnacabber, still in Dunoon Kilmun Parish so this would seem to be right. Peter McKellar and Margaret Campell' children were born here, but the 11th  was born at Cuil, 1819 which I have as being near Barnacabber.
Interestingly mustangwright's james Campbell and Margaret McGlashan, see earlier post, are having children at Cuill 1815 through to 1828.
Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline chandy9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 July 16 11:09 BST (UK) »
Late to this party (and new) but interested as my great great grandfather was Duncan McKellar born 10/10/1810 born Carradale/Dunoon - the Campbelltown area. He emigrated to Australia so this spreads the family further afield. His wife was Jane Craig whom he married in 1833. Duncan's parents are said to be Peter and Margaret McKellar. However the Duncan you have listed was born in 1799 so maybe  our family information is incorrect.
Maree Kirkland

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 July 16 22:34 BST (UK) »
Chandy9
             It would seem that there may be some confusion with your Duncan McKellar.
   I have checked and my Duncan McKellar, son of Peter and Margaret  McKellar was born  1st Nov 1798 and christened 9th Nov 1798 from Scotlandspeople baptisms.
   I know there were numerous McKellar names in the baptisms and yours should be recorded there.
 I have just done a quick check and there are no Duncan McKellar's in Dunoon from 1805 to 1815. There are some 24  when I leave as 'all Parishes', so yours may have been baptised in another Parish. Sorry I am low on credits to check those.
   Do you have a copy of the marriage certificate to Jane Craig in 1833, this may give his parents names.
 Wyanga  (I am in Australia)
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 July 16 23:05 BST (UK) »
Chandy9
           What is the information that you have for Duncan McKellar.
  I have just found in the unassisted immigrants list a Duncan McKellar aboard the Yarra Yarra 1855 age 45 born abt 1810 Scotland.
   I think that this is the name of a seaman on board , NOT an immigrant.
Wyanga

Offline chandy9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 July 16 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Wyanga,
I have just lost everything I typed!
 My Duncan McKellar was born 10/10/1810 at Carradale (near Dunoon and Campbelltown -trying to find where this came from to confirm it) son of Peter and Mary- so I have got the Margaret from another source.
He married Jane (or Jean) Craig on 12/8 or 3/1833. Their son Peter was born 12/8/1833 in Campbelltown.  Duncan, Jane and 2 sons Peter and Archibald were assisted immigrant sponsored by Mr A. Lang (a brother of the Rev. John Dunmore Lang) and arrived aboard the 'Portland' on 3/12/1837. Duncan was listed as a shepherd on the shipping indexes and first worked for General Stewart at Mt Pleasant near Bathurst.
I don't have any certificates- most information is through the McKellar family as published in the Blayney Pioneer Register. Any certificates I have pertain to my great grandmother Jane Craig McKellar  (daughter of Duncan and Jane) Looking forward to anything you can tell me. Thanks so much.

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 24 July 16 12:04 BST (UK) »
Chandy9
               Thank you I have found them now in the Unassisted migrants on board the "Portland" in 1737 . His wife is listed as Jenn, or might be Jean. The record is a bit cut off but it seems as if they have come from Campletown Argyll
     I think that you will be better searching for Duncan McKellar and Mary for his baptism.
     I am sure that he is not from Peter McKellar and Margaret's family, although they could very well be related as the family names are in both families.It looks as if Archibald was born in Paisley, an infant in 1737 so he may have arrived while they were waiting for the ship .
 I have not been able to identify a birthdate for my Peter although from census he would have been born about 1771.
Wyanga

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 24 July 16 12:29 BST (UK) »
Chandy9
              The marriage in 1833 on scotlandspeople does not provide any information re parents names, but both Duncan and Jean were of Campbelltown parish.
Wyanga

Offline chandy9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 24 July 16 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Wyanga,
Thanks for that. Did you mean 1837 for the 'Portland'? That Archibald born 1827 in Paisley seems to have died en route to Australia as Duncan and Jean (one branch of the family refers to her as 'Jenny' so the Jean/Jenn is highly probable.) had another son also named Archibald born after they arrived in Australia. Where do you search for your information? (as in where is most helpful) I agree that my Duncan is not Peter and Margaret's son.
Thanks again for your clarification.