Author Topic: Trying to find parents of John Richardson 1865 Alnwick  (Read 3601 times)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find parents of John Richardson 1865 Alnwick
« on: Monday 28 July 14 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi I`m trying to gather some information up on my husbands side of the family. His Great Grandfathers name was John Richardson born 1865 in Wather Mill, Northumberland in  I found a birth reg on family search volume 10B, Page 314, Line 104 possibly him? I also found the marriage on ancestry Jan 1891 married to Mary Hay Shiel and the records of the children of John and Mary, George William Hay born 1895 Whalton (Husbands grandfather), Ruth Lillian born 1901 Cowpen, Albert Edward 1903 Horton and Norman Stanley 1907 Bedlington

I`ve had a few tree hints on ancestry but there is no facts, sources to back it up and dont want to go down the wrong route so I`ve been trying to piece things together from the census and would appreciate any other imput or eyes even to see if theres something I`m missing.

On the 1871 Census there is a John Richardson b abt 1866 in Alnwick with siblings Thomas b 1861 in Twizel Mill, George b 1862 Twizel Mill and Sarah b 1864 Twizel Mill together with parents John Richardson ( his age reads 63 but on the actual census it looks like it had been changed and I think it should read aged 43) making him born about 1828 in Ellingham and Elizabeth born 1838 in Brock Mill, Northumberland.

Now on the 1881 Census could this be the same John Richardson born 1829 in Ellingham with another wife a lot younger born 1857 in Newcastle as there is a Thomas b 1861 and Sarah b 1864 which can be the children from his first wife Elizabeth. John and Sarah now have 2 children together Henry and James.
In BMD there is a record of a death for Elizabeth Richardson 1872 aged 34 reg district Alnwick, Volume 10b, page 239 so could be possible.

Now what I`m trying to find out is who is Elizabeth? What was her maiden name? I cant find a marriage for them so I`ve been doing some more digging to see if theres any clues so I started looking back on the earlier census and I think I have Thomas b 1861 on the 1861 census his name now is Thomas K which could be middle name Keen, together with his parents John and Elizabeth a great grandson to Thomas Keen born 1780 in Beal which I think is Elizabeths grandfather.

Interestly looking back on the 1851 census for Thomas Keen 1780 I have found him with his wife Sarah and also a grand daughter Elizabeth Keen born 1838 in Holy island which could be the same Elizabeth. I have also found on family search a christening 25th March in Lowick which only has the mothers name Sarah Keen. I cant find anything on the census for Sarah Keen but going back to George Richardson born 1862 in Twizel Mill on later census and also his marriage his full name is George Dodds Richardson which now made me wonder if Sarah Keen married a Mr Dodds hence Dodds being George`s middle name and I`m hoping I`ve cracked it. On the 1841 Census I have a Sarah Dodds born 1821 in Ancroft married to George Dodds 1821 Ancroft together with an Elizabeth Dodds born Ancroft 1838 and Barbara Dodds born 1840. Then 1851 census Susannah Dodds probably wrong name born 1820 in Holy island together with husband George, daughter Barbara and son Joseph. This is all so confusing my heads battered lol Id appreciate any feedback

Susan :-\

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find parents of John Richardson 1865 Alnwick
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 July 14 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

Do you have a copy of the 1891 marriage cert showing his fathers name and occ.  Until you establish that - you can't realistically look for a census entry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 July 14 15:32 BST (UK) »
Never heard of Wather Mill. Is it somewhere near Whalton?
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 July 14 16:09 BST (UK) »
The 1901 and 1911 censuses say he was born Alnwick.

What is your source for 'Wather Mill' as his place of birth?

As Carole has asked - what does the 1891 marriage certificate say? You need to try to establish some facts about his father before you start looking for potential entries in earlier censuses.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 July 14 16:15 BST (UK) »
His Great Grandfathers name was John Richardson born 1865 in Wather Mill, Northumberland

Looking at the 1901 census (which shows John born in Alnwick), I see that sons George Willam and John James are listed as being born at Whatton Mill.

The free index to the 1911 shows John James born at Whalton Parish, Northumberland

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 July 14 16:18 BST (UK) »
John James Richardson was baptised at Whalton 7 Apr 1895, son of John and Mary Hay.*

I see that Mary Hay Richardson died aged 43, Sep qtr 1909 Tynemouth.  John may have remarried to a Mary A Thompson, Dec qtr 1910 Tynemouth.

*They appear to have had an earlier son by the same name; a John James Richardson was baptised 26 Apr 1891 at Embleton, Northumberland, son of John & Mary Hay.  His probable death aged 0 was registered in Tynemouth district, Sep qtr 1891.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 July 14 16:31 BST (UK) »
George William Hay born 1895 Whalton (Husbands grandfather)

This may have been a typo, but it seems George was born in 1893.

Birth reg: George William H Richardson, Sep qtr 1893 Tynemouth

Death reg: George W H Richardson aged 49, Northumberland Central
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 July 14 16:36 BST (UK) »
Albert Edward also born a bit earlier than thought: Sep qtr 1902 Tynemouth.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 July 14 16:37 BST (UK) »

Now what I`m trying to find out is who is Elizabeth? What was her maiden name? I cant find a marriage for them so I`ve been doing some more digging to see if theres any clues so I started looking back on the earlier census and I think I have Thomas b 1861 on the 1861 census his name now is Thomas K which could be middle name Keen, together with his parents John and Elizabeth a great grandson to Thomas Keen born 1780 in Beal which I think is Elizabeths grandfather.

Susan, I do think you are trying to go too far too fast  :)

Let's start with the name of John's father and try to identify the correct family before we start going back to folks born in 1780  :)

What does the Richardson/Shiel marriage certificate say, please?  :)