Author Topic: John Wilson - Stonecutter  (Read 4082 times)

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Wilson - Stonecutter
« on: Monday 28 July 14 20:41 BST (UK) »
Doing research for a friend and looking for a John Wilson, supposedly b St Ola, Orkney 1833-34. I have searched all the batch numbers for John and cannot find a birth of a John, son of James Wilson and Susan Rines, anywhere in Orkney. Scotland's People was no help either. These were the parents he named on his second marriage certificate in 1863 when he married Stewart Sandison.

There is a John Wilson age 8 living with John and Isabella Wilson in 1841 in Lyness, Walls but I don't think that's my John, the stonecutter.

John was a stonecutter in 1861, living at Lighthouse, Westray with his first wife, Jean Liddle, who died Nov 1861. Hence his second marriage.

In 1871 John is not with his family. His wife, Stewart, marked as married, is with her mother Marjory Reid and 2 children - John age 7 and Margaret Ann 3.

In 1881 there is no sign of John or his wife, and three (grand)children are now still living with Marjory in Pierowall, Westray, the latest gdau being Susan aged 6.

Marjory/May Reid died 1890 and thereafter there is no sign of the family or the children in Orkney. 

I've browsed LDS and there seem to RINES in the US but I can't see a connection. There was a suitable John born to a James and Susannah in Yorkshire. Father James  was a stone mason but looking at subsequent years, this isn't him either.

Can anyone help or is this a lost cause?
Regards
Suzie

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Wilson - Stonecutter
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 July 14 21:34 BST (UK) »
Not a lost cause. Just a challenge. Stonecutters were in demand. Lots of stone and quarry workers from the north and north-east of Scotland went to places like Vermont where quarries were opening. John could have gone out first and his wife followed later.

In 1871, John's son, Francis, is staying at Fribo lighthouse, Westray, with his uncle and aunt, William and Isabella Drever. William was a farmer of 20 acres, 12 of them arable. He was from Westray; his wife was from Stronsay. The Drevers are still there in 1881 too, but not Francis.

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 09:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you, GR2, for your reply. I did wonder if they had emigrated so I'll see if I can look at the Canadian census somewhere or maybe the Ellis Island site for any info.

I'll also check out that Wilson or Liddle connection with William and Isabella Drever. Maybe Isabella was a Liddle, making her aunt?

Doesn't solve John's birth or his parent's but you have given me something to work on. Thank you.
Suzie

Offline Phyllis Ann

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 October 16 16:02 BST (UK) »
Please contact me re the John/Isabella Wilson I've got that name combination on my tree.  Born Darlington County Durham died Port Elizabeth South Africa

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 October 16 22:59 BST (UK) »
Don't know what progress you have made but here are a few thoughts:

1) there's the death of a Stewart Sandison or Wilson, aged 34, in Firth & Stenness, in 1879, in the ScotlandsPeople statutory death indexes (searched on the two surnames separately with gender female in both cases)  Worth checking the full record.
2) How old was John Wilson when he married and remarried? Does that age match with the 1861 census age?
2) There is a Susan Rhynes Wilson birth in Westray in 1875 (again ScotlandsPeople indexes) - the variant spelling may help you
3) Margaret or May Wilson was born in Grangemouth, Stirlingshire around 1867/8 (from Orkney FHS transcript of 1871 & 1881 censuses) Potential lead?
4) Francis D Wilson - probably a sailor in 1881 census - Leith North (Vessels)

My guess would be that Stewart died and the family was scattered