Author Topic: Phillip Beynon, pilot of the Agnes Jack. Ship wreck in port Eynon  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Edward Thomas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Phillip Beynon, pilot of the Agnes Jack. Ship wreck in port Eynon
« on: Tuesday 29 July 14 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am Edward Thomas. My great great grandfather was Phillip Beynon a pilot born in Llanmadoc.
I was wondering if anyone had details about Phillip Beynon and his family or the Agnes jack; the ship he died on, in 1883, or any of the crew of the ship.

I am a sculptor, studying my final year degree at wimbledon, doing technical arts and special effects. and I want to build a memorial to Phillip and the crew of the SS Agnes Jack for my final piece. I have studied figurative sculpture and portraiture and plan to make a monument of Phillip the pilot at the helm of the ship, just over life size, as the tradition of the helmsman going down with the ship.

I know a small amount about Phillip Beynon and  of the shipwreck, but I plan to gather a lot more information, I will return to Swansea this month and do some research.

If anyone knows anything about Phillip Beynon, the Agnes Jack or the Crew please let me know. My Dad's name is David Thomas and his Dad was John Thomas they lived in Swansea and John and David worked at the steel works in port Eynon. Anyone living around there would probably have known my family as we have lived there for century's and left about ten years ago.

Please reply if you have any info.
Thank you for your help
Regards,
Edward Thomas

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Phillip Beynon, pilot of the Agnes Jack. Ship wreck in port Eynon
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 14:18 BST (UK) »
There's a photo of a memorial and gravestone to the lost here: -

http://www.shipwrecks-wales.co.uk/gower-shipwrecks/9-a-very-dark-day
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 14:33 BST (UK) »
Think this is the family in the 1871 census in High St, Llanelly: -

Philip Beynon 50 b Glamorgan, pilot
Emma 45 b Warwickshire
John 22, James 18, Phillip D 15, Emma G 14, Joannah 11, Mary 8 all born Llanelly

Ref RG10/5465/44/31
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 16:46 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.
AGNES JACK official number 29983. International call signal HPDB.
Built Seacombe 1865. Registered in Liverpool.
Built of wood. 85 hp engine driving a single screw propeller
476 net registered tons 738 Gross RT. 206.6 feet long, Breadth 26.6 Depth of hold 15.7
Owned at time of loss by John Bacon of 4 Rumford Place, Liverpool
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 18:44 BST (UK) »
welsh newspapers on line      welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/home

use "agnes jack" in the Find an Article search field (include the "    " as part of key).

you can also search for "philip beynon" - use slider bars to limit search to period you are interested in

PS - omitted to include - A very warm welcome to Rootschat

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 19:26 BST (UK) »
From Swansea (West Glam) Archives' catalogue

www3.swansea.gov.uk/CalmView/Overview.aspx?s=philip%20beynon
www3.swansea.gov.uk/CalmView/Overview.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog

Offline Edward Thomas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 October 14 17:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information so far, it has been very helpful. I was wondering if anyone would know where to find a photo of my great, great, great grandfather, Phillip Beynon, the pilot of port Eynon, until his death on the Agnes Jack in 1883. There must be a license he was given and I have found photos of the lifeboat team and station built in port Eynon 1884 and as Phillip Beynon was 61 and an important figure in port Eynon, there must be a picture of him somewhere, sitting in someone's draw or in archives. His parents were David and Bridget Beynon and he was baptised February 27th 1820.

If anyone also had a picture of the bridge of a steam ship from the 19th century and the steering wheel, if it were from the SS Agnes Jack that would be amazing but a similar ship will also be great, i am sculpting the pilot and the wheel so having a reference picture of a steering wheel from a steam ship would be very good.

Thank you for all your help so far it has been put to good use, any more info you have, especially photographic, would help me progress with my statue even further.

Offline Sarah Mc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 May 18 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Edward

I am Phillip Beynon's great-great-great grand-daughter, from the line of his eldest son William Henry Beynon.  I hope this reaches you, as I do have a great photograph of Phillip and his whole family, dating from circa 1868.  My aunt and I are doing the family history and would love to connect direct with you and your parents and share stories and information! Looking at your sculpture you have captured how he looked really well - if that is coincidence then well done!

Best wishes

Sarah Mc

Offline C89

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 September 19 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hello All, and Hello to Edward and Sarah.

I am also a descendant of Phillip Beynon. My recently started Family Tree search has linked me to Phillip Beynon via his son William George Beynon born 1879 (this name appears on the census, not sure whether there is something conflicting there or not). It makes me his Great great grand-daughter. I am so excited to have been able to find this website and therefore find out so much about him. If there are any photos it would be great to see them.

Would love to have any information on the Beynon family if you guys have any more. And any more stories I could explore!

Colleen x