Author Topic: Annie Bevan Shrewsbury b circa 1865  (Read 3380 times)

Offline jervis42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annie Bevan Shrewsbury b circa 1865
« on: Thursday 31 July 14 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Could anyone advise how best to find out more about my GGGrandmother Annie Bevan of Shrewsbury. Annie married in Dublin in 1881 - naming her parents as Richard Bevan & Elizabeth Jones of Shrewsbury. She married as second time in 1898 in Dublin using the same details. The 1901 Dublin census implies she was born approx. 1865 & as a Roman Catholic.

I am interested to find out more about the Shrewsbury connection. I tried 'findmypast' & ancestry.com and the various English census - but i did not really find likely matches. I am not very familiar with English Genealogy sites. So I would appreciate any suggestions.

Jervis

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Bevan Shrewsbury b circa 1865
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 July 14 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

The only Bevan birth that is coming up in that time scale in Shrewsbury is this one. Perhaps she was actually Mary Ann.

Births Mar 1866   

Bevan    Mary A        Shrewsbury    6a   697

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 July 14 23:01 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1871 census, I think that one is the daughter of John and Mary, so not her.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 August 14 11:36 BST (UK) »
if she married in 1881 - she would have been 15 - 16 if she was born 1865 ...
Atcham to Shrewsbury is 5 miles
do you think she might be
Ann Elizabeth Bevan b apr/may/jun 1863  Atcham  ( making her 17 - 18 at her marriage
Elizabeth being her mothers name
she might be worth researching  to see if her parents are Richard and Elizabeth ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 August 14 11:54 BST (UK) »
Just for completeness, who did she marry the second time?

Annette

Ignore - see it was Francis O'Neill!
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jervis42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 August 14 21:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for all the responses.
The birth year is a bit confusing. In the 1901 census Annie was recorded as 36 & in 1911 as a mere 39! (I am ignoring the later)

The Atcham Bevan looks interesting. I have found some possibles, but I am never able to progress further. I think I just don't know where best to look. 

Have you any suggestions on websites to use?
Ideally looking for a site that you could search for the marriage between a Richard Bevan & Elizabeth Jones?

Thanks for all the help.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 August 14 06:17 BST (UK) »
www.freebmd.org.uk
www.familysearch.org
neither have a marriage between Richard Bevan and Elizabeth Jones
freebmd has 10 marriages from 1837 - 1865 for Richard Bevan to an Elizabeth - but none are Jones - is it possible Elizabeth had been previously married and her surname at her marriage to Richard was not Jones ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 August 14 23:52 BST (UK) »
I think I may have found Annie's family BUT it's somewhat complicated to try and explain but I will do my best (2 pages of notes to decipher).   I believe that she was somewhat older than she admitted on 1901/1911 Irish census (in which you've already pointed out was 36 in 1901 and 39 in 1911!!!

I believe she was actually born at the end of 1857 but to prove would necessitate getting at least a couple of certificates.

1861 Census - Brace Meole & Nobold, Shropshire (Shrewsbury regn. district) ref. RG9-1874-123-10

Richard Bevan    44     Ag Lab           born Condover, Shropshire
Mary (?)             47                          born Newtown, Montgomeryshire
Sarah Ann          3                           born Brace Meole, Shropshire

(I believe Mary is an error and should read Elizabeth so please bear with me).

1851 - Nobold, Shropshire - ref. HO107 - 1992 - 749 - 3

Richard Bevan   33     Ag Lab            born Meole Brace, Shropshire
Elizabeth Bevan 37                           born Montgomeryshire, Wales
Mary Thomas   20   Visitor   House Serv. born Montgomeryshire
Jane E. Bevan     7                            born Meole Brace, Shropshire

(his father living 3 doors away).

Daughter Jane Elizabeth Bevan bp.20/7/1843 Meole Brace, Shropshire dau. of Richard/Elizabeth (can 't find actual birth entry).

In 1861 Jane - 18 - working as a Nurse in a Lunatic Asylum in Shrewsbury.

Now to Sarah Ann Bevan - her birth reg'd as Sarah Ann Beavan Dec.qtr.1857 Shrewsbury - baptised as Ann Sarah Beavan 27/12/1857 Meole Brace, dau. of Richard and Elizabeth.
By 1861, as you can see on census, she is Sarah Ann again.

Father Richard Bevan dies in 1870 and bur.10/3/1870 Meole Brace - in 1871 it looks like widow Elizabeth Bevan is working as a House Keeper in Shrewsbury and daughter now Ann, b13, (recorded as Beaven) working as a servant in Pontesbury, Shropshire (shown as born Nobold - Meole Brace/Brace Meole often shown 'with Nobold'.

Can find no trace of Sarah Ann/Ann Sarah/Ann after 1871!!

Found an online tree which contained little just that Richard Bevan and Elizabeth Jones had dau. Jane Elizabeth.  No marriage.  (also a few other trees that show Jane Elizabeth belonging to a John Richard Bevan and Elizabeth Christina Jones - again, no marriage just a circa date and no sources!

However, I believe I could have found the marriage but this would need checking out:

Richard Brown of Meole Brace, son of Richard Brown, and Elizabeth Jones, of Shrewsbury, dau. of Luke Jones, married 24/1/1843 Meole Brace, Shropshire.

I think that 'Brown' has been misread for Bevan - other findings indicate that Richard Bevan was indeed the son of a Richard Bevan who lived in the same place.

Richard Bevan married Elizabeth Green 1816 Gt. Harwood, Shropshire (familysearch but with no further details) children:

William bp.17/5/1816 Harwood, Shropshire, son of Richard and Elizabeth
Richard bp.6/7/1817                     ditto
Jane bp.28/2/1819 Meole Brace, Shropshire, dau. of Richard and Elizabeth
Anne bp.1/4/1824  Meole Brace                            ditto
John bp.8/7/1827 Meole Brace,                    son             ditto

In 1841 Richard senior and wife are living with Elizabeth 20 and Harriet 10 but haven't found baptisms for these 2.  Son Richard is living in the household next door.

To hopefully prove this scenario, you will need (1) birth certificate of Sarah Ann (Ann Sarah or Ann) Beavan Dec.qtr.1857 (baptised 27/12/1857 Meole Brace) to confirm mothers maiden name is Jones and (2) marriage certificate (or check made with original parish record) to confirm that the marriage for Richard 'Brown' and Elizabeth Jones in 1843 is actually Bevan not Brown.

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online sue14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 August 14 16:50 BST (UK) »
Have tried to attach copy of register for marriage 1843 of Richard Bevan and Elizabeth Jones.  Not sure if it worked.

It does clearly look like Bevan to me not Brown.

Sue
Bagnall Shropshire  Wilkes Shropshire  Phillips Wellington Shropshire
Finney Shropshire/Montgomeryshire