Author Topic: Military Records for John William Tee  (Read 3144 times)

Offline htr114

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Military Records for John William Tee
« on: Friday 01 August 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
In the 1911 Census my Mother's Grandfather was listed as being in the military in the Infantry 1st Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment.  His name was John William Tee, he was born in 1886 in Farcet and was 24 in the 1911 census.  His parents were Joseph Tee and Hannah Beeby.  At the time the regiment were in Aldershot, Farnham.  I have never been able to find his records online, but am wondering if the records are kept locally and if anyone could look them up for me.  I would greatly appreciate this.  In 1912 John William Tee immigrates to Canada under an assumed name and I would like to know the events that might have caused this departure.  I also think it would an important addition to the information I have on him and his life.  I would greatly appreciate any help or direction that anyone might be able to give. Thanks.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Military Records for John William Tee
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 August 14 18:32 BST (UK) »
A couple of links for you.

This link says the Bedfordshires went to India in 1913. Could be your ancestor got wind of this upcoming posting and decided to go to Canada instead

http://www.britisharmedforces.org/i_regiments/bedsherts_index.htm

This is a link to the regiments museum page. There is quite a bit of advice on there were to look for records so worth a look.

Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire Regiment Museum Collection

http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/amot-search/default.asp?Category=Amot&Service=Museum-Display&reference=0000000016
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 August 14 00:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for those links davidft, my great uncle was in the 1st battalion regiment he died in France 1914.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 August 14 06:15 BST (UK) »
Have you found details of his death on the CWGC site? Was it under under his own or his assumed name? Have you found him returning from Canada? Did he join the Canadian Expeditionary Force, in which case have you found his attestation paper?

Are you and htr114 one and the same?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline htr114

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 August 14 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, No we are not the same.  I know my Great Grandfather was in the British Military in 1911 under his own name. Either John William Tee or just John Tee. When he left for Canada in 1913, he used an assumed name on the ship records both leaving England and landing in Canada.  This leads me to believe he didn't want to be traced. 

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 August 14 14:23 BST (UK) »
It doesn't take a lot to confuse me these days!

Do I assume you've traced him in Canadian censuses etc after 1913?

Your deduction that he didn't want to be traced looks reasonable!

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Grizzly847

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 15:48 BST (UK) »
Stumbled across this string and I may have the link you are looking for.  My Grandfather's birth name was John William Tee.  Your time frame seems a good fit.  He came to Canada with a married woman who was abandoned by her husband in the UK. The ex-husband had abducted her eldest son and emigrated to the United States where he re-married and started a new life with a new family. My grandfather married the abandoned woman and assumed her name here in Canada to protect her integrity.  He was not a military dodger. He fell in love with a damsel in distress (two young girls and one in the oven) and came to Canada to start a new life so his act was one of nobility in my view. I'm not the family historian but it would be curious to compare notes. 

Offline Older Bear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 October 21 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I too have been looking for John William Tee's records. My Grandfather was his brother and for a while they were in the army together, My Grandfather was invalided out in 1915, he had two other brothers, Albert and Joseph who were both killed in that war. Albert was married and his widow moved to the US with one son and his family remains in the US. I know about George William Granger and the fact he went to the US with his son, he settled in Washington State. We know also the assumed names that John William took and at one time he enlisted in a Canadian unit in 1915 under the assumed name of George William Tee, original? I am in contact with two of his descendants one in Canada and one in the US and have just had a DNA match with another descended from John William's youngest daughter, Eva Suzanne. I have also discovered that he and Emily had a son christened John William Granger and he died within a year. he may have used that birth certificate when he married Emily later and hence used that to change his name. I would be very interested in any further information you may have. and I may have more for you too?
Grahame Capron-Tee
caprontee@mearsdon.co.uk

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 October 21 06:01 BST (UK) »
1911 census
John William Tee age 24 says he was born Farcott Northamptonshire, not Farcet Huntingdonshire??