Author Topic: Pendlebury Railway Station? Also about the Acme Mill  (Read 70217 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Pendlebury Railway Station? Also about the Acme Mill
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 July 05 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Keith,
More wonderful local knowledge for me, and I might come back to you about that DYSON family that lived close by to you.  That's what is so amazing about this site.  Either someone comes up with the answers straight away, or you wait a while and THEN somebody has something pertinent to say.  My knowledge of this area is much enlarged...
Very best wishes,
another Keith (I think we're quite rare amongst the 18,000- plus members)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 22 July 05 18:00 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D

Have been following this topic with interest as some of my Williamsons lived in Pendlebury circa 1880's. 

However, I'm absolutely bowled over by the photo of Andrew's Grandad in the cute hat - what a cheeky little face, I bet he was a bundle of mischief.

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 22 July 05 18:43 BST (UK) »
and that picture of yours of Leah Williamson is just as captivating, if I may be so bold.  Was she a direct ancestor of yours, Mobo, or just a member of that Williamson branch you are so interested in...?
Keith

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 22 July 05 20:45 BST (UK) »

Leah William was my grandfather's sister, and a very dear aunt of my late Mum..

As for the Pendlebury Williamson, this was 

EMMA WILLIAMSON, born December 8, 1833 in Chapel St. Salford, Lancs, who died November 12, 1879 in 31 River St. Pendlebury, Lancs. She married GEORGE ECKERSLEY February 14, 1858 in Manchester Cathedral, Lancs. Wit. Mary A Williamson, Robert Greenhalgh. Son of GEORGE ECKERSLEY and SARAH. He was born 1837 in Lowton, Lancs.  Occupation.Post Office Supervisor. Emma's death registered by son John H. Eckersley of 32 River St. Pendlebury.

The Williamson were in fact an old Eccles/Pendleton family which you can see on my website (see my profile below)

:D :D

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 22 July 05 21:19 BST (UK) »
What an amazing website, Mobo!
Rather puts my amateurish efforts to shame.  Made me wonder, though, whether your John Whittaker Williamson, b. 1805, might have known my William Dyson b. 1795 - same location, and same sort of occupation, variously "grocer", and "master carter".  Mention of all those places of baptisms, marriages, burials. etc. brings it all into sharp relief for me; have only been to the Manchester area once in my life, to watch a Man Utd. v. Spurs game about 13 years ago with my brother, when we stayed in the Trafford Hotel, which I think used to be Trafford Town Hall.
But Salford is an area I shall visit soon to make sense of all this geography...
Keith

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 22 July 05 21:52 BST (UK) »
 :D :D

Glad you liked the site Keith - however if you're visiting Salford, you'll be hard pressed to find any of the 'old' streets and roads.  Chapel Street is still standing though, as it's the main road into Manchester, and Sacred Trinity Church still stands on it.

You can see more on old Salford on the Genuki site

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Salford/

Happy hunting

Offline Wallie Lizzie

• RootsChat Extra
  • www.thewallworks.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 25 July 05 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I too have lived in Swinton all my life and grew up not far from the Acme mill, I went to St Mary's school which was almost opposite the Mill. You can see the school and Mill on Lowrys painting.

I have attached a map of Swinton and Pendlebury with the Acme Mill, Pendlebury Station and Railway Terrace marked with an x for you and any fellow Swinton and Pendlebury fans to study!

All the information you have been told by people answering your posting is correct.

Regard Wallie

Enjoy the map!!
Wallwork – Swinton/Worsley/Pendleton

Moss & Farrish & Kennedy & Latchford – Swinton/Macclesfield/Cheshire

Cheer – Manchester

Tildesley – Worsley/Manchester

Rourke & Fallon - Kearsley/Farnworth/Bolton/Yorkshire/Ireland Dublin

Gooden & Duckworth & Pasquile & Atkinson – Bolton/Blackburn/Westmorland

Wilson – Swinton/Salford

Quinn – Swinton/Salford/Newcastle u Tyne/Gateshead/Ireland/USA

Mc Donough & Bickers - Salford/Ireland

Offline Wallie Lizzie

• RootsChat Extra
  • www.thewallworks.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 25 July 05 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If there is anything else I can help with let me know, you can also see an older map on my website www.thewallworks.co.uk just follow the link Swinton and Pendlebury history this map is much older than the one I have posted above, it is very interesting showing Station Road as Burying Lane and Swinton hall Road as Bury Lane and Jane Lane and many other little facts about Swinton and Pendlebury.

Hope you enjoy them

Regards Wallie
Wallwork – Swinton/Worsley/Pendleton

Moss & Farrish & Kennedy & Latchford – Swinton/Macclesfield/Cheshire

Cheer – Manchester

Tildesley – Worsley/Manchester

Rourke & Fallon - Kearsley/Farnworth/Bolton/Yorkshire/Ireland Dublin

Gooden & Duckworth & Pasquile & Atkinson – Bolton/Blackburn/Westmorland

Wilson – Swinton/Salford

Quinn – Swinton/Salford/Newcastle u Tyne/Gateshead/Ireland/USA

Mc Donough & Bickers - Salford/Ireland

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 25 July 05 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Wallie,
My initial request has borne fruit in so many ways over the last few weeks, after a rather uncertain beginning.  Your comments, and the map and suggestions you have produced are really the icing on the cake.  All it needs here, obviously, is a little patience, then someone else comes on to this incredible Rootschat website (often a newcomer swelling the membership) and more details are magically revealed.
Thank you so much for your help in all this...
Very best wishes,
Keith