Author Topic: Reverend Thomas Davies born Llanbadarn Fawr Cardiganshire ca 1842-43  (Read 6041 times)

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reverend Thomas Davies born Llanbadarn Fawr Cardiganshire ca 1842-43
« on: Saturday 02 August 14 14:28 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for some help on Reverend Thomas Davies born Llanbadarn Fawr in 1842-43. He spent a great deal of his life as a Calvinistic Methodist Minister in Treorchy in the Rhondda. I have managed to trace him through the censuses

1851 He's at Truman (a farm) in Llanbadarn Uchaf yn y Creuddyn aged 9 as a nephew of Thomas and/or Anne Edwards. He also had a sister called Eliza born ca 1844/45. Thomas Edwards was a Calvinistic Methodist Minister and probably influenced his nephew.

1861 He's at Truman (a farm) in Llanfihangel y Creuddyn Upper aged 18 as a nephew of Thomas and/or Anne Edwards. He’s also an orphan (he was probably/possibly that in 1851). His sister Eliza is also there aged 16.

1871 He's at Ty’r Capel; Ysbyty Ystwyth Cardiganshire as a visiting Calvinistic Methodist Minister aged 28 with David Morgan a stone mason and his family.

1881 He's at 19 Tynybedw Street Treorchy married to Jane with three children David, Eliza and Thomas. He's spent most of his ministry in Treorchy.

1891 He's still at 19 Tynybedw Street Treorchy.

1901 He's at 26 High Street in Treorchy.

1911 Thomas Davies has passed away and his widow Jane is living at Goleufryn in Treorchy.

Thomas Davies was a grandson of Thomas Davies 1791-1858 a cowkeeper in Old Street, St Luke, Finchley. Thomas Davies senior was originally from Borth Cardiganshire and one of his daughters married into my family. Thomas Davies junior was the administrator of the old man's estate who had died intestate in 1858 although this was not granted until 1871. The address for Thomas Davies junior on the letter of administration was Brynrheidol Llanbadarn Fawr.

Thomas Davies junior was also the administrator of the estate of his uncle David Davies a cowkeeper of Bethnal Green in 1893. The address for Thomas Davies on the letter of administration is 19 Tynybedw Street Treorchy.

Thomas Davies is described as a Minister of the Gospel in 1871 and a Calvinistic Methodist Minister in 1893.

I don't know who were the parents of Thomas Davies; it seems that they may have died by 1851 and certainly by 1861. Thomas Davies senior the cowkeeper in London and his wife Jane had quite a few children but the eldest that I know of definitely is Eliza Davies born in 1829 in St Luke, London. There is a Thomas Davies born 1824 in Holborn born to Thomas Davies cowkeeper and his wife Jane who may be another child. There is a Thomas Davies born ca 1826 but not born in Cardiganshire in the 1841 census in Llanbadarn Fawr who was an assistant chemist to John Cole a chemist. That's a bit of a stab in the dark.

I'd also like to find out when Thomas Davies died to see if there is a report in a newspaper which may give a clue to his family. I have also posted this in the Cardiganshire section.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reverend Thomas Davies born Llanbadarn Fawr Cardiganshire ca 1842-43
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 August 14 17:59 BST (UK) »
his death was reported in the Cardiff Times of 23 April 1910, the Rhondda Leader of the same date and the funeral was reported in the Rhondda Leader of 30 April. There are many other mentions in other papers, some in May. 23 Apr was a Saturday and report says he died on Monday evening, so the 18th.

Death reg
Thomas Davies 67 june qtr 1910 Pontypridd vol 11a pg 313

Do you have his marriage certificate? That would give you his father's name & occupation.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 August 14 19:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that information; I'll follow it up.

I have not got his marriage certificate; I only got the letters of administration for his cowkeeper uncle David Davies 1836-1890 and his cowkeeper grandfather Thomas Davies 1791-1858 yesterday. There is mistake on the Thomas Davies letter of administration (and the probate calendar) in that Reverend Thomas Davies is down as a son of Thomas Davies the cowkeeper and not grandson. That's what threw me. It was only this morning that I sorted him out in the censuses. It may be a bit of job for me to find his marriage certificate, Cardiganshire is not on UKBMD and there are a lot of Thomas Davies in Cardiganshire. But that is the next logical step.

Thanks again for the info.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 August 14 16:56 BST (UK) »
As their first child - David Evans Davies - was born around 1873 (with them in 1901) it's likely that they were married between the 1871 census and 1873. There are 3 Thomas Davies to Jane marriages in Aberystwith, one in DecQ 1871, another in JunQ 1872, and a further one in SepQ 1873. This latest one sees a Thomas Davies marrying a Jane Evans which looks a good possibility (given their son David's middle name). You could ask for the certificate only if Thomas' occupation is given as a Calvinist Methodist minister.

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 August 14 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Deirdre

Jane Evans looks a good bet; I'll order a copy with the stipulation that Thomas Davies must be a Calvinistic Methodist Minister.

The David Evans Davies that you mention became a chemist which may be interesting. He died in 1944 and his mother Jane died in 1926.

regards

David

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 August 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
There's a report of his will in the Cardiff times showing he left a half share of a leasehold house and land, Brynrheidol.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 August 14 22:38 BST (UK) »

Are you aware of this picture in the National Library of Wales?

Rev. Thomas Davies Treorci & sister Mrs. David Evans, Penllwyn
Author(s):    Morgan, Ebenezer, 1820-1906
Material type:    Picture
Year:    1870
Description:    1 photographic print : b&w 104 x 64 mm.
Summary:    Mrs. David Evans, Glanrhydtynoeth, Penllwyn.
In:    Portrait collection (WlAbNL)004426750

I can find David Evans and children at Glanrhydtynoeth in 1881, but his wife (presumably Eliza?) has by now died

Offline llynboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 August 14 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Mabel

Thank you for all the information.

For some reason I can't open the page to see a report of the will of Thomas Davies in the Cardiff Times in 1910. I find that with the NLW website at times over the weekend. Thomas Davies was living at Brynrheidol in 1871 when he was awarded grant of probate for the estate his grandfather Thomas Davies cowkeeper of Old Street St Luke London. Brynrheidol was the home of his adoptive parents Thomas and Anne Edwards.

I wasn't aware of the photo of Thomas Davies and his sister Eliza Evans. I think I'll try and get a copy. Eliza Evans was alive in the 1871 census so she must have died between 1871 and 1881.

regards and thanks again.

David

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 August 14 06:55 BST (UK) »
The NLW also has these in its catalogue which may be of interest

Letters from Thomas Edwards, Trering, Penllwyn, Brynrheidol,
Material type:    Text
Language:    English