Author Topic: Daly from Galway / Oranmore -- possible link to the Mayors Daly of Galway?  (Read 3148 times)

Offline leslierg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi
I’m searching for info on a Daly family. I’ll try to be brief…
My ancestor was James A. Daly, born in Ireland probably around 1830. The family histories say he was from Galway, but a tree made by a lawyer when searching for someone else’s heir indicates he was from Roscommon. My grandmother’s brother went to Galway in the 1960s and wrote that he found out that the Daly family was from Oranmore. [NOTHING else! ARG!] James moved to the U.S. sometime before 1851. He lived in Sacramento, CA (stories say he sailed around S. America). In Sacramento he was a property owner, saloon-owner and briefly was a City Alderman. To me, these occupations imply a link to “The” Dalys, mayors of Galway. But a newspaper write-up of him in Oct 1853 says “Jim Daly is one of our old citizens, a self-made man, the architect of his own fortune..." The “self-made man” implies he would not need financial help / political influence from Ireland? … From newspaper accounts James was not Catholic but family stories say he was. (Most likely family stories were changed to reduce the scandal of his impregnating the under-aged Catholic daughter of a landowner-class Irish immigrant (from Galway / Newcastle). At least he married her …
Sacramento newspapers indicate that James Daly had a brother, Bernard (b. ~1827 in Ireland). A 3rd brother, John (b. ~1825 in Ireland) was living with James & Bernard in Sacramento in 1852.
In addition to these brothers, James had many sisters. NOTE: This family was genetically incapable of telling the truth about a female’s birth date. Birth years and even order of birth are guesses! Mary Ann (b ~1828), Delia Bridget (b ~1830), Margaret (b ~1832), Rose (b ~1835), Jane M (b ~1836), Julia J (b ~1837) and Anna (b 1849 at sea -- I suspect she was actually the child of one of the older sisters.)
The family tree created by the lawyer says that James’ father was named Patrick Daly, but there is no other evidence for his first name. I believe Patrick died in Ireland. Based on children’s birth dates, I believe Patrick had at least 2 wives and that his first wife was the mother of John and possibly Bernard. His 2nd / last wife was Cecelia or Celia A, maiden name possibly Harkin or Harker. When she married Patrick she was the widow Joynt “from Albany”. She had 3 children by Mr. Joynt, all born in Ireland: Oren (Esq) (b ~1824), Robert (b ~1825, he lived in Albany when he was older) and William (no evidence).
Cecelia Daly and most of the children (John, Mary Ann, Margaret, Rose, Jane, Julia and Anna – born at sea) arrived in America on 31 Jul 1849 as cabin-class passengers on the Cremona from Galway. That’s 7 people who could afford to travel cabin class in 1849. They weren’t escaping starvation.  This also makes me think that my Dalys are somehow tied to the Mayors of Galway - there was certainly a landholder tie somewhere!
And that is all I know about the Irish history of my Daly family.
I’d sure love some clues! (And yes, I own / have read "the" book about the Irish Dalys)
Thanks

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daly from Galway / Oranmore -- possible link to the Mayors Daly of Galway?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi There and a very delayed Welcome

I presume James married and had children !

Have you not gotten his marriage cert to get his father's name ?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 15:55 BST (UK) »
Death Certificate, obits . . . anything to get parent's names ?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 16:05 BST (UK) »
IF the family were Roman Catholic were from Oranmore then you can try trawling through the register to see if you can get any matches ~ the parish only begins in 1833 so it will be the later children that you will be looking for.

http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0634

Tara

Offline leslierg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 20:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Tara! I'll check out the Oranmore records right away!
We have no formal marriage certificate. We've got a certified copy of the marriage "record" which just lists their names and who married them, and we've got newspaper accounts of the fact of their marriage.
I'm attaching here the highly frustrating map that "shows" where my grand-uncle located the Dalys in Ireland, in case a native can gain more information from it than I can. (His information on the Davies is correct.)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 21:47 BST (UK) »
I'm just wondering HOW they worked on the Dalys though without any information as such  ???

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 22:54 BST (UK) »
BTW

What were the names of James' children, in chronological order ?

Tara

Offline leslierg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 00:32 BST (UK) »
We don't have the information now, but it seems like more must have existed when John Raymond Daly Jr went in 1969. Very frustrating, of course, that more of his information hasn't been unearthed by his grandchildren. We have only circumstantial evidence that ties him to Galway. Someday I'll make it to Sacramento to comb through the newspapers that haven't been scanned in hopes of finding more references to my James Daly.

James Daly's children were born in the U.S. and are known:
Cecelia Anastasia (1856), Mary Agnes (1859), James Edward (1862), Elizabeth Agnes (1863), William Henry (1865), Louise Gregoria (1867), Eleanor Bertha (1868), George Francis (1872), Thomas Oren (1873), Clara Theresa (1876) and John Raymond Sr. (1879). Also Maude and Thomas who died as infants (birth year unknown.)

In case you were actually interested in James Daly's full siblings, all of whom were born in Ireland, my best guess is:
John (~1825), Bernard (~1827), Mary Ann (~1828), James A (~1830), Delia Bridget (Nov 1830), Margaret (~1832), Rose (~1835), Jane M (~1836), Julia J (Feb 1837), Anna (July 1849, born at sea on the way to the U.S. and most likely a niece of James', not a sister.)
Note that I may have the birth order wrong!

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 10:28 BST (UK) »
Yes,

Let me know if you get any more leads and I'll have another route around !

Tara