Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 76330 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« on: Sunday 03 August 14 09:55 BST (UK) »
      I'm clutching at straws in trying to locate the parents or siblings of John (1760) and James (1763) Richards of Bryn Isaf, Lledrod. Fortunately, most of the straws are in and around Lledrod. It is stated in "Enwogion Mon" that John and James were nephews of Edward Richard the founder of the Ystradmeurig School but, as Edward's mother was known far and wide as "Auntie Gwen", this must have been a mistake. And now we have a David Richards, of Strygosfawr,  who, during the birthdates of John and James, was living at Ffosybleiddiaid, just a couple of hundred meters away from Bryn Isaf. Edward Richard also owned the mill at Swyddffynnon and in his will it was left to James Lloyd of Mabws, the owner of Ffosybleiddiaid.
 Can anyone link any of the above to one another as family members. Beware of a plethora of gents called David Richards in the area.
                                 Any help would be appreciated.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 August 14 20:28 BST (UK) »
    Further Info on the above David Richards. His dates are 1747-1810. His father, of the same name, was the Bond-holder for the repairs and alterations to the bridge at Pontrhydfendigaid, completed in 1760. Edward Richard had written derogatory songs and verse about the bridge. Farm-carts were often "stranded" on the hump in the middle and it was James Lloyd of Mabws, (lifelong friend of Edward Richards) who persuaded the authorities to commission the alterations. David Richards Senior completed the work. I have no info for David Senior except that his father's name was Thomas and he inherited the mill at Lledrod and other property. (Including Tynllan which still exists, next to the Church) upon his death.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 August 14 22:39 BST (UK) »
You probably already know,but there is an abstract of a will for David Richards,1810,Lledrod at the National Archives,Kew
Modified-finally managed to open the will at NLW,no sign of John or James.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 August 14 23:12 BST (UK) »
Again,you have probably seen it,but amongst many references to David Richards of Lledrod at NLW there is one dated 1757,an indenture of £100-David Richards of Foesybleidded(sic) and Letitia his wife to Edward Richards of Spytty Ystrad Meyrick(sic) re a property called Bryn Merllyd and a note of 1764 acknowledging repayment of capital and interest by Thomas Richards.

Bryn Merllyd is  given elsewhere as "alias Tythyn-y-Bryn-Issa"

There is a marriage of 1737 of David Richards of Lledrod to Letitia Parry at Llanrhystud that looks interesting in this context.Obviously not David Richards(1747-1810)!-perhaps his father.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 August 14 09:59 BST (UK) »
  Hi Roger, we meet again.
                 Many thanks for your input; as always, it will keep me busy for the rest of the week. Of special interest is the reference to the house at Ystrad Meurig.
The David  (Obit 1810), is the son of David. I have a note here for David Senior.

David Richards of Strygosfawr in the parish of Lledrod, CO. Cardigan, gent, (son and heir of Thomas Richards of the same place, gent., deceased by Magdalen his wife).

I have a sneaking suspicion that David Senior is related to John and James's father and now that you have supplied his wife's name, then perhaps I will have more luck. (Letitia-seen but not connected).
 This takes David Senior's DoB back to circa 1710 and from that bit of info you can see why, initially, I thought that he could have been one of Edward Richard's undocumented siblings. Edw. B 1714 and his brother, Abraham, B1711.

There is further documentation referring to the transfer of Lledrod Mill...
(Documents concerning Lledrod Mill, Cardiganshire and Ty yn y Porth house and gardens built on the mill premises by 1788, and the houses called Ty Issa, or Wainhelig, or Wainbaby and Tynllan and the Inn and shop called the King’s Arms in the parish of Lledrod, from 1786 to 1926.)

You can see that it includes the property, Ty Issa. This house still exists and there was a Richards there until quite recently, vide the following death notice.
 52. Jane Richards, Ty-Isaf, Lledrod 22 July 1959

And so it goes on...and on.
                          Many thanks for your continuing interest. Peter

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 August 14 11:39 BST (UK) »
Letitia Richards(widow) is named in an indenture of 1777 in the Crosswood 2(B) documents at NLW.
There are quite a few familiar names in this and subsequent entries,some perhaps relating to the death of Edward Richard in that year.
I wonder if the Elizabeth Richards is the same as that in the will of 1830 at Tynllan Lledrod?
I keep getting an error message when I try to open it.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 August 14 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi.
 Extract of part of Edward Richard's will from 1777.

On 27 February 1777 he made his will, which appointed his friends Thomas Hughes, of Hendrefelen, and John Jones, surgeon, of Bryn-hope, his executors. By it, he assigned his mill at Swyddffynnon to his lawyer friend, James Lloyd of Mabws, who had drawn up the previously-mentioned deeds, though only on two conditions, namely, the payment of 20s. per annum to Edward's successor at Ystrad Meurig, and the free grinding of their corn at the mill by the inhabitants of the village of Ystrad Meurig.

It looks as though David Junior had a son named David, so too a daughter named Elizabeth. There is also an Elizabeth with a husband called David Richards but they are too young to be of the relevant generation.
By-the-by. Lledrod Upper is below Lledrod, and Lledrod Lower is above. I still have no luck with Letitia.
            Peter.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 August 14 15:45 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you can make sense of the following-I'm lost in the plethora.

I thought I would look for wills under Ystrad Meurig(using that alone as the search term)
Among the wills was one for David Richard of Clawdd Kerrig,Spytty Ystwyth dated 1722 in which he refers to,amongst others:-

His father Richard Thomas  (Thomas Richard?)
His brother Edward Richard
His wife     Magdalen Jenkin(s)

Too much of a coincidence?

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 August 14 17:20 BST (UK) »
Things are clicking into place. James Lloyd of Ffosybleiddiaid had a daughter named Letitia and I was wondering whether this was the link between the Lloyd family and David Richards. David and his wife moved into Ffos, (Modern name) when Lloyd moved to the big family home at Mabws. He also was involved in bettering the status of David by moving him and his family into a fine house, thus enabling him to be referred to as "Gent" in official documents etc.
Thomas was definitely David's father, and Magdalen his mother.
 And then we have a mystery Edward, popping up, just like that, another lead to follow.
 I notice the subtle change from the patronymic Richard, to Richards. Welsh language records use Rhisiart.
 Could you find a marriage between Letitia and David.
 His brother Edward, depending on his DoB, could be a relative of John and James.