Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 76333 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 07 August 14 15:11 BST (UK) »
Another entry in Crosswood ....

II.162
1719, Sept. 29
INDENTURE, being an assignment from Charles Pryse of Rhandir, p. Llan-y-grwyddon, co. Card., gent., by the direction of David Richard of Unis-pervedd, p. Lledrod, co. Card., yeoman, and his son and heir-apparent David Richard, to Thomas Richard of Bwlch-y-ddwyallt, p. Caron, co. Card., gent., of a mortgage for £40 (granted on 9 Nov. 1694 by the said David Richard and Goley his wife to the said Charles Price) of the moiety of three parts of an ancient tmt called Tythin-y-bryn-merllyd in gr. Mevenydd, co. Card., being formerly parcel of the possessions of the dissolved monastery of Strata Florida, and of a further charge of £30 on the same, and a further charge of £12.7.6 then advanced by the said Thomas Richard.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 07 August 14 16:06 BST (UK) »
I had seen that,but been unable to find connections other than possibly identifying Goley,which doesn't help

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/national-library-of-wales/calendar-of-deeds-and-documents--volume-1-ita/page-4-calendar-of-deeds-and-documents--volume-1-ita.shtml

There are quite a lot of wills under "Caron" Cardigan,but again,so far no obvious connection.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 07 August 14 21:56 BST (UK) »
I don't know why I didn't think of this before,but given the 1757 reference to Bryn Issa,and your statement of the births there of John and James in the early 1760s,I thought I would look for any references in Crosswood 2(B) after this date.
The following looks interesting:-

II.426
 1777, Jan. 17
 INDENTURE, being a declaration by Morgan Harry of Fronfelen, p. Llanychaiarne, co. Card., gent., and Letitia Richards of p. Llanygrwyddon, co. Card., widow, that a fine had been levied at the Great Sessions for co. Card. on 14 Aug. 1762 by Elizabeth Richards, widow, the said Letitia Richards, Thomas Richards, gent. and Jane his wife, of two tmt’s called Penbryn-issa alias Tythyn-y-bryn-merllyd, and Bryn-merllyd alias Tythyn-
 bryn-issa, and of a parcel of land called Gorse-glan-teify (60 a.), p. Lledrod, co. Card., to the use (as to the said parcel of land) of the said Morgan Harry in fee, but that no uses had been declared as to the said two tmt’s, they therefore declared that the said fine should enure (as to the said two tmt’s) to the use of William Davies of Penbrynn, p. Llanvihangel Lledrod, co. Card., gent., in fee simple. It recites that the said Elizabeth Richards, Thomas Richards and Jane his wife had all dec., and that the said two tmt’s were the inheritance on the said William Davies.

I'm not sure if the Thomas Richards is the same as the 1757 one and I have not tracked William Davies.
However,elsewhere Thomas Richards is described as the second son of Rev Morgan Richards,clerk of Radnor whose will of 1749 is available at NLW.Given the date of his death this could give a birth date as early as,say 1710(?) for Thomas,not impossible as the father of James and John.
Not direct evidence,but a daughter of Morgan Richards(as the patronymic doesn't seem to be used(?) is Rachel Richards.There is a marriage to a Charles Price in 1737 which might fit and Charles Price(("Pryse"),perhaps as father and son,feature throughout this period with familiar associations
-Swyddffynnon Mill and William Davies.Perhaps this is the father:-

II.158
 1697, Sept. 20
 INDENTURE, being a further charge of £30 from David Richard of p. Lledrod, co. Card., yeoman, and Goley his wife, to Charles Pryse
 gent., on the moiety or half of three parts of an ancient tmt called Tythyn-bryn-merllyd in gr. Mevenith, and formerly parcel of the dissolved abbey of Strata Florida.

All a bit rambling and tentative,but it feels like the answer is somewhere in here.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 07 August 14 22:30 BST (UK) »
A little more of the connection:-

II.330
1765, May 7
 INDENTURE, being a grant from Thomas Richards of Penybryn-merllyd, p. Lledrod, co. Card., gent., to William Davies of p. Spytty Ystrad Meirick, co. Card., gent., of two tmt’s called Bryn-merllyd and Pen-y-bryn-merllyd in said p. Lledrod. Consideration, £617.13s

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 07 August 14 23:21 BST (UK) »
Good work Roger,
   It's gone midnight here, (Sweden), so I'll have a better look at the new info tomorrow. It's funny how the same names, of people and places, keep popping up. On the face of it, it looks as though all of the Richards folk involved, are related to each other. I have a photo of Bryn Issaf ...such a small place to produce so many records of transactions.
                                                                    Regards.    Peter.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 07 August 14 23:34 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any more references to Thomas Richard(s) Bwlch y Ddywallt.
There is a current address at Pontrhydfendigaid,Ystrad Meurig.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 08 August 14 09:32 BST (UK) »
Here is a further extract from Crosswood 2(B),which helps define some relationships

II.229
1754, Sept. 10
 INDENTURE, being a grant from David Richards of p. Llanddewy Brevy, co. Card., gent., to Thomas Davies of p. Llanbadarnfawr, co. Rad., clerk, of a tmt called Hendre Rees, p. Llanilar, co. Card., on trust for the said David Richards for his life, with remainder to Thomas Richards of p. Lledrod, co. Card., (second son of Morgan Richards of p. Llanddewy Ystradeny, co. Rad., clerk, dec., who was the eldest son of the said David Richards) and his issue, with similar remainders in succession to Rachel Richards and Lucy Richards, the dau’s of the said Morgan Richards, dec

The will of this David Richards,1756,is available at NLW.As well as Morgan Richards,he had sons John and David(groan).

I did wonder if the son David was the one at Ffos.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 08 August 14 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi, just got in.
  I've started to dissect your latest info ... the first thing that I notice is that in the indenture of 1777, there is a reference to Leticia Richards. She is the widow of David Richards of Ffos. I notice that they have shown her as of Llanygwyron (sic). I have another David Richards,(Groan) (b1799) at Llangwyryfon, Lledrod. Modern census shows a cluster of Richards in this small area.

[quote author Despair.
Again, you have probably seen it, but amongst many references to David Richards of Lledrod at NLW there is one dated 1757,an indenture of £100-David Richards of Foesybleidded(sic) and Letitia his wife to Edward Richards of Spytty Ystrad Meyrick(sic) re a property called Bryn Merllyd and a note of 1764 acknowledging repayment of capital and interest by Thomas Richards).

David Richards, the eldest son of David Richards, Strygosfawr, was, in 1769, shown to be still at Strygosfawr.
 David Richards, the bridge repairer, is shown in 1757 as living in Ffosybleiddiaid.

We have, in your last post, a David Richards of Llandewi ... this is dated 1754 so this one is neither of the above.
 What is interesting is that Thomas, (who I thought might have been another son of David the Elder of Strygosfawr), may, in fact be from another area. "Thomas, second son of Morgan Richards of Llandewi". They may be related but are now in another geographical area and with my limited access to records, and the fact that I'm in my 70's, you'll have to carry me along a bit.
     Off to a farmer's auction this afternoon but, like that actor said, (that wasn't named David Richards), "I'll be back".              Regards     Peter.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 08 August 14 20:39 BST (UK) »
I've been looking at records for Thomas Richards,hopefully as per the family from the 1754 reference previously.This establishes him as the son of Morgan Richards(deceased 1749) and grandson of David Richards,given as of Llandewi Brefi at the time of his will -1756.There is no guarantee that he was of Llandewi Brefi prior to this time of course.
The will of Morgan Richards(Rev/clerk) refers to a Thomas Davies,brother-in-law,also Rev/clerk.Perhaps he is the brother of the William Davies who is referred to in the 1765 transfer and indicative of a trend for REv/clerks in the family as per John later.

The big surprise is the 1769 reference

I.1023
1769, June 2
 DEED POLL, being a declaration by Nathaniel Smith of Presteign, co. Rad., maltster, and Rachel his wife (late Rachel Richards, spinster, one of the dau’s of Rev. Morgan Richards, clerk, dec.) that Thomas Richards formerly of p. Lledrod, co. Card., but afterwards of p. St Margaret, Westminster, gent. (eldest surviving son of the said Morgan Richards), had released to them all his interest in the personal estate of his said father, and also that the said Nathaniel Smith and Rachel his wife had released the said Thomas Richards from a sum of £67 charged on a tmt called Hendre Rees, p. Llanilar.

Further,there is a 1770 record of trhe marriage of Thomas Richards Esq. of Parliament Street,St Margarets,Westminster to Lucy Walters of PallMall.

However,he still sems to feature locally in 1780

II.458
 1780, Mar. 9
 INDENTURE, being a lease for a year (so that a grant by release might be made) from Thomas Richards of p. Lledrod, co. Card. (second son of Morgan Richards of p. Llanddewy Ystradeny, co. Rad., clerk, dec.) to Thomas Jones of Carmarthen, gent., of a tmt called Hendre Rees, p. Llanilar, co. Card.

but appears to have died by 1784

II.483
 1784, June 3
 INDENTURE, being a lease for a year (so that a grant by release might be made) from Thomas Richards late of p. Lledrod, co. Card., gent. (second son of Morgan Richards of Llanddewy Ystradeny, co. Rad., clerk, dec.) to the Rt Hon. Wilmot, Earl of Lisburne, of a tmt called Hendre Rees, p. Llanilar, co. Card.

Or,perhaps "...late of Lledrod.." simply means he is "...of somewhere else.."

Regards
Roger