Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 77061 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #351 on: Saturday 07 January 17 10:42 GMT (UK) »
I think I will concentrate on the two strands of Joseph Davies relationships as they seem most likely to yield anything of direct relevance.I'm not yet convinced about one of your central tenets that Joseph(and later a Jane) are children of Owen.I'm not saying you are wrong,but,unless I've missed something,it seems as if the relationships are inferred rather than having data to support them(unless you can provide any).

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: Saturday 07 January 17 11:46 GMT (UK) »
  I have done some more work on the families at Ynysberfedd and this is what I have at the moment. I will try to get more on the Joseph (1833) and Jane (Richards), which you refer to.

1.  Jane  born Lledrod  (1757-1822)
                  She was married to Owen Davies. (1733-1812).
                  They had 2 known children.
                   *Joseph Davies. (1794-1872). Unmarried.
                    Jane Davies.    (1795-)
                             She Married John Lewis (1814-   ) of Llangoedmor.
                                                         They had 5 children.
                                       1. Joseph  (1833-  )  He married Jane Richards, at Tregaron in 1858.
                                       2.  John (B Llanrhystyd 1834- )He  married Jane Jones, (1834-1907)
                                            Burial at Ystradmeurig 1907.
                                                         John and Jane had 6 Children.

Joseph.  (1863- )
                                                                   John      (1865- )
                                                                   Lewis     (1868- )
                                                                   Thomas   (1869- )
                                                                   Mary J.  (1870- )
                                                                   James    (1871-  )

3. Lewis            (1837-  )
                                     4. Thomas Oliver.  (1839- )               
                                     5.  Mary Jane.     (1840- )

In the  1851 census Joseph is at Ynysberfedd, (72 acres),  together with 3 servants.
    *In the 1861 he is at Ynysberfedd, (141 acres), together with a nephew, John  Jones,
      (1842), and 3 servants.
      In the 1871 census Joseph is still at Ynysberfedd (141 acres), but now has his brother-in-  law,
     John Lewis, (1834), plus wife Jane, 5 children and 2 servants.
      In the 1881 census Jane and John Lewis (1834) are shown at Ynysberfedd with their 6         
      children. Ynysberfedd is now shown as 280 acres.

*     The John Jones, Nephew, shown above, is believed to be her brother. Jane and John Jones' parents were John and  Aurelia (Amelia) (Averina Jones), of Swydd Smithy. John is shown with his mother in the 1871 census and is later  shown becoming  "Vicar of Ysbyty Ystwyth cum Ystrad  Meurig and the Master of Ystrad Meurig Grammar School"

You can see the 'familial' names being carried forwards to the next generations and we're also approaching the date of my father's birth in 1898. Time flies!
                                        regards, Peter.

Ps Just found Ynys Berfed 1841 census. It shows Joseph, 1794 and a Jane Evans of circa the same age, plus servants.
 Finding documentation for a marriage that took place between Jane and Owen Davies in C1795 and any Baptism records for that time for their 2 children are almost impossible. The marriage, although implied, results in the definite birth of children Joseph and Jane. Descendants of Jane are researched and documented as above; Joseph was unmarried but is the 'anchor' for the main family at Bryn Perfedd.

Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: Saturday 07 January 17 14:07 GMT (UK) »
It was actually Joseph and Jane,1794 and 1795 I was referring to,but no matter.I'm not comfortable with three things about your model.
If John Jones,son of Aurelia/Amelia is a true nephew in the current sense,then Aurelia and Joseph are brother and sister,and Aurelia is another child of Owen and Jane.
Owen and Jane would be approx 60 and 40 respectively at the time of Joseph's birth-not impossible,but then Owen being 70 and Jane giving birth at approx 50,and a ten year "gap" from the others,when Aurelia is born.When you combine it with the daughter Jane(circa 1795),marrying John Lewis(circa 1814) a neearly 40 year old woman marrying a teenager,I think the model may need looking at again.Perhaps there is an intermediate generation after Owen/Jane and he is their grandson for instance.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: Saturday 07 January 17 16:14 GMT (UK) »
  John Lewis,(1834), Married to Jane Jones(1834). If John Jones, (1843), is Jane's brother then there is no simple way to express his relationship to Jane's father-in-law in a census entry. Literally John Jones should be "Daughter in law's brother" on the census, or even "son's wife's brother".
 The word "Nephew", although still in error, is the best that Joseph could come up with implying, (wrongly in my opinion), that he is in fact the son of a sister named Aurelia.

[Owen and Jane would be approx. 60 and 40 respectively at the time of Joseph's birth-not impossible, but then Owen being 70 and Jane giving birth at approx. 50,and a ten year "gap" from the others, when Aurelia is born.]
 Owen was 61 when Joseph was born, (1794). Jane was only 37.
 Jane, (1795), was 38 when she had her first child, Joseph, (1833). John Lewis was 18.
 (Annie Richards (1843) of Anglesey married Hugh Davies-Griffith, High Sheriff of Caernarfon. He was born in 1798 and was 45 years older than she was).

I think that my entry for this family is as good as we can make it. Common sense combined with lack of hard and fast evidence.
                                            Regards, Peter.

Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: Saturday 07 January 17 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Again,I'm struggling to find what your data implies i.e. a couple John(1814) and Jane(1795) Lewis,with a son Joseph(1833),or have I mis-interpreted?

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: Saturday 07 January 17 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Post 338 above shows them. Jane Davies, 1795 is shown on line 5.
                                            regards. Peter

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: Sunday 08 January 17 20:33 GMT (UK) »
   I've done a bit more work on the Davies/Lewis family branch.
 The entry for Joseph Lewis (1833) marrying a Jane Richards has been corrected to him Marrying an Elizabeth (1836) in 1857/8. Joseph was a miner and they had 5 children.
 The family of John, (1834) married to Jane (was Jones) with 6 children, was based in  Llanrhystyd. Some of the family are still there for the 1911 Census.
                          regards, Peter

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: Sunday 08 January 17 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I've noticed today that the address for the Lewis's in the MIs is Cwmmeurig,which I have now found reasonably adjacent to Llwyn Gofre,so perhaps they are connected to the families from there.The property can be seen in the Ffair Rhos square of the NLS maps.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: Monday 09 January 17 08:54 GMT (UK) »
 Yes ... I checked that the other day. On the old maps the only way to get to Cwmmeurig,  (the farm), is past Ty'n y Rhose. Additional info is that both parents are shown as being buried in Ystradmeurig.
                            Regards, Peter