Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 76394 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #360 on: Monday 09 January 17 12:25 GMT (UK) »
New  Info. The 1901 census shows John and Jane, (both 1834) plus their 2 youngest children, Mary (1870) and James, (1871), living in Gwnnws. John is described as "Farmer" but there is no farm named. Also shown are 2 boarders, probably from the school at Ystradmeurig.
 Just found the 1911 entry for John showing him at Llanrhystyd. With Jane dying in 1907, he may have moved back to his original stamping ground. There are no others shown in this record from familysearch.org.
                                                                Regards, Peter

Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: Monday 09 January 17 20:48 GMT (UK) »
One of these days,a "coincidence" I come up with will turn out to be useful.In the hope of that,here I go again:
In thinking of a Richards/Davies relationship that might help explain the relationship of Joseph Davies to Edward Richards,I was put in mind of the Thomas Davies,clerk,who is brother in law to Morgan Richards(1749 will).Morgan was clerk at Llanddewi Ystradenni,Radnor and if I'm right,the Thomas Davies of Pantyfedwen(1801 will) was clerk at Llanbadarnfawr,Radnor,which is equivalent to Penybont/Crossgates not very far away.It might be hard to accept that these are the same Thomas Davies,but not totally impossible(perhaps his lunacy was old age dementia?),or maybe there is a father and son,both Thomas,both clerks(The "1801" Thomas has a son Thomas as well as a William)
Looking at the census data for Aureiia/Amelia,her place of birth is given as Llanyre,Radnorshire.
Joseph must be her brother,and there are two baptisms 1796 and 1798 in the area,the latter in Llanyre to a William and Anne.
Thomas Davies(1801 will) had a son,William,and a daughter Jane,one of the properties he left to Jane was Pant y Barwn.
I can't quite figure out if it presents a realistic option(pre existing relationship,overlapping timescales etc?).My brain is beginning to hurt again......

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 10:31 GMT (UK) »
  The 1701 Will of Thomas Davies of Lledrod,  the tenant of Strygosfawr, shows a definite link between the Davies and Richard families. William Davies, the father of William and Richard Davies, (who were all involved with Penbryn at one time), could have been a close relative of Thomas. The birth of William (Snr.) would have been early enough, C1715, to pre-date your new hypothesis. Elizabeth is shown as a widow in 1764, the same year as Thomas Richards passes Penbryn to Elizabeth and the "Fine", dated 1777 but refers back to 1762, passes Penbryn to William Davies (Jnr.)
 Looking again at the 1701 Will of Thomas Richards we see that nobody with the surname "Davies" is bequeathed anything. Of interest regarding your hypothesis is the mention of property in Blaenpennal which is close to Llandewi Brevi. Memory tells me of a Rev. Davies being the guardian of the two sons of the Rev. Morgan Richards. One of the sons, Thomas Richards, married the daughter of the Rev. Rice, Vicar of Lledrod and organiser of the dances at Ty'n y Dawns. That line turned out to be a red-herring but it was a close-run thing.
                                   regards, Peter

PS Just noticed that Thomas Davies' Will shows a John David in the occupancy of Tythin y Ffos Helig, Lledrod.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 19:57 GMT (UK) »
While looking for something else I came across a reference to a Reverend Richards of Sgrygog,so I just had to see were it went.It is a reference from an 1810 publication seen in the Genuki series for Llanddeiniol.The basics are that the Reverend inherited the Carog Estate by marrying a Miss Morris,with the male line having died out.
His history is summed up here:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j8t/

There is a matching 1761 baptism record where he is given as son of David Richards(clerk) and Margaret his wife.(There is also a 1760 record for twins Richard and Mary,but Richard dies in 1761)

The subject of this summary,Rev. Thomas Richards,can be seen in Bridge Street Aberystwyth in the 1841 and 1851 censuses.

If Scrygos from the 1760 freeholders is the same as Sgrygos from the 1810 publication this might make him grandson of the Thomas Richards quoted in the freeholders.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 20:52 GMT (UK) »
There is a will for the Reverend David Richards,Hussington(sic),1777,though not at NLW as far as I can see.
He leaves all his real estate in LLanrhystud and Llangwyryddon,in the possession of Stephen Morris(?) to his son Thomas.He does not specify the properties.He also references his daughter Mary,but no other children as far as I can see.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 21:02 GMT (UK) »
 The Thomas Richards of the Freeholders of 1760 already has a son named David. He was David the father of John, Edward,  James and Jane. This looks all wrong to me. I can't see Sgrygos mentioned in the document and it states  that the Rev. Thomas Richards was born at Hyssington,
Montgomery.
 It could well be that he is the Grandson of one of the other sons of Richard David. We know of David of Ffos and Thomas Richards, free-holder but he had another 3 sons; William, Lewis and Edward. Any one of these three could have had a son named David and note that Rev. Thomas' DoB
synchronises with the birth of David's children.
 We have the two cases of Rev. Edward and the Rev. John leaving the area when ordained. (John to Anglesey and Edward to Epsom). If the same thing happened to the Rev. David Richards, moving to Hyssington, marrying and having a family there then we may be in business for an additional two Reverends to add to the family. and that will make four that have married well-off ladies!
  I see the hand of Edward Richard, Schoolmaster in all this. The School was set up specifically to educate and train scholars for the Clergy and it was said that he was kin of my  family.

I'll have a look at the Census details in the morning
                                                        regards, Peter.
PS Just received your last post. Excitement here but beware of a flock of Richards in Llangwyryfon, including Leticia, the Widow of David of Ffos and a host of others..

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 21:09 GMT (UK) »

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Congrats. I think that you have probably hit the Bulls eye this time!
                                       regards. Peter

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: Tuesday 10 January 17 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Let's hope so-resume tomorrow.

Regards
Roger