Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 77009 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #387 on: Thursday 12 January 17 21:34 GMT (UK) »
I've found Thomas Richards at University.It was Magdalene College Cambridge not Oxford.The record confirms  the details we know but adds no others.There is no David Richards record at Magdalene,or any other prior Richards.I'll see if I can find David at any other Cambridge College.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: Thursday 12 January 17 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Good work Did you see the PS on my last post?
 I've been thinking about the Rev David and the lack of info on him. Like the Rev. John Richards, Llanerchymedd, he may not have attended college but was educated enough to become a priest. The Rev. John wasn't noticed as being anyone of interest. I only saw one mention of him in print when he admitted to believing in fairies and was suspected of stealing the author's walking stick.
                                                       Regards, Peter.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: Thursday 12 January 17 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes,I saw the PS but haven't made anything of it yet.I'll have a quick look to see if I can find anything new on the Rev John of Llanerchymedd.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: Friday 13 January 17 15:39 GMT (UK) »
 Checking my notes on the Rev. David I see that he was at Hyssington from 1757 to the date of his death in 1777. (Thomas was only 15 when his father died and his sister even younger). His date of death corresponds to the circa death of David, the father of John, James et al. Both Davids, we think, are 1st cousins. They have corresponding birth dates for their children, 1757-1763.
 I still haven't found any more about the Rev. David although your mention of a David Richards being at Shrewsbury in 1738 and 1741 could be a clue as to where he was "Educated enough to be a Priest".
 It's less than 20 miles from Hyssington.
           Burnt out and cheesed at such small results from so much effort.
                                     Regards, Peter

Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: Friday 13 January 17 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Somewhat similar here.I've been looking at "alternatives".
I started out realising that Gwen,the mother of Edward Richards(1777) was originally Gwen Edward,and tried to find relationships through Richard Edward(1721) and David Richard(1767) of Ty Gwyn,Caron,but didn't get anywhere.
Next I got round to htinking about the Anglesey connection.I wondered again if it was possible tnat there lay the origins,with two brothers staying and one leaving(though having a property interest)
I started by looking at the origins of what I thought might be an easy name to trace Ynys Fawr or Ynys Ynyd as given earlier in one database,particularly as you wondered how this came into the family.
For a start there are quite a few early variants on the name - Ynys Gnud,Ynys Cnyd,Ynys Knud,Ynys Knut(Viking!?)

THere are at least two wills that seem relevant
John Prichard(1772) and Margaret Jones(1777),the latter possibly being his wife retaining her maiden name(marriage in mid 1750s?).I wouldn't be surprised if this John Prichard was related to the "Llwydiart Esgob" Prichards.
The Margaret Jones will may be an intestate bond but the property goes to a John Rowland,declared to be a "lawfull" son,and some role I can't make out(not witness)more like "sharing" for  a Richard Edward(s)!  of Llandyfrydog.
John Rowland dies in 1783 and I can't see an appropriate will or other transer/indent,but right by the entry is  the signature(?) of Richard Edward,Church Warden.I can't help noticing that there is an "R Edwards Curate" in Llandyfrydog ,certainly in the 1820s.

Coincidences again?

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: Friday 13 January 17 17:28 GMT (UK) »
I think I've tracked down the Richard Edward(s),church warden.There is a will for Richard Edwards of
Clovach,Llandyfrydog in 1801,the address matching that near the 1783 entry for John Rowland.It doesn't look like the brothers are patronymically named sons at least,but I still don't see the family connection with the Ynys "Cnyd" property at this stage.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: Friday 13 January 17 17:57 GMT (UK) »
I have a very detailed and complete tree for both the Rev. John and his brother James. James was the son  that didn't become a priest but ran a draper's shop from premises in Market St. Llanerchymedd. The shop and living accommodation above was rented to him by the Curate. (John, his brother). it being part of St. Mary's church which was owned by the Chroddyn and Llwydiarth Esgob Estates. St. Mary's was, in fact, a private chapel. John  was the curate for 5 other parishes.
 Edward Richards of Ynys Ynyd, later, Ynys Fawr (with the acquisition of more land), was the son of James Richards, the draper. Elizabeth, the youngest daughter of James Married Robert Pritchard of Llwydiarth Esgob. James' eldest son John was sent from Anglesey to the Edward Richard school at Ystrad Meurig to be educated. He became a High Ranking Customs officer, retiring early after marrying a very wealthy woman. He is described as, 'Landed Gentry' in the 1861 Census. He was the Bard, "Iocyn Ddu" and a very learned gentleman.
 The Rev. Edward of Epsom was involved with James, Draper, and his son Edward at Ynys Fawr. He provided James with a farm at Llandyfrydog, Ty'n y garreg, away from his business premises, and when his debt to Edward was  forgiven in his will of 1833 he was able to purchase the freehold of Ynys Fawr. Edward is shown moving from a small farm in Llangefni in 1833.
   Nice to be talking about someone that I know everything about rather than looking for someone that I know hardly anything about.
                                                regards, Peter

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: Friday 13 January 17 18:12 GMT (UK) »

So no earlier family connection,just a purchase.
Back to trying to find out more about the Hyssington connection then.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: Saturday 14 January 17 09:59 GMT (UK) »
In case you have not seen it before,a snippet from a newspaper regarding Rev. John Richards.Does this imply he was in Llaneechymedd at least as early as 1781,or perhaps simply that he was teaching somewhere from that date?

Regards
Roger