Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 77072 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #396 on: Saturday 14 January 17 12:38 GMT (UK) »
 Quoted from  my entry for the Rev. John.
 "It is said that he was ordained at the Bishop's Palace at Abergwilli, Carmarthen on the 24th. of August, 1783. He took up residence, (1792), at Llanerchymedd, (perhaps at Ty-Coch, 8 High Street, a property that appears in his will), and presumably lived there until his marriage to Ann Parry in 1796. There are notations that he taught around 30 children at Ysgol Heuarn, Llanerchymedd whilst taking up his Clerical duties at St. Mary's church."

Going back to the Revs. David and Thomas. I notice that there are no entries for the birth of Thomas and his sister at Hyssinton; nor indeed a record of David's marriage at the same  place. Thomas is not shown in the 1841-51 censuses either although we know that he was at Bridge St. Aberystwyth at that date'

[ Dean Church tells us that Isaac Williams had been before this date introduced to Keble by an old Welsh clergyman, and Isaac Williams in his Autobiography himself says that this old Welsh clergyman had been a curate under Keble's father at Fairford. This Welsh clergyman was the Rev. Thomas Richards, of Carrog, who lived for many years in a house in Bridge Street, Aberystwyth. The house remains to this day almost as it was in Richards's time.]

I haven't been able to find Wills for these two men, or even registers of their death.
At Hyssinton there are comprehensive registers of Baptisms, marriages and Deaths but the Richards family are conspicuous by their absence. I've had a go at the surrounding areas, simply because, as a Curate, he may have been resident in another Parish´, like the Rev. John in Anglesey.
 Another niggle is why was Thomas living in Bridge St. I assume that he still held the Carrog Estate and, presume that there was a main Estate Residence.
 Being of a suspicious nature I'm wondering whether the "new" Morrice family have expunged all records of the Richards family, taken over the Estate, pretending that they were of the "original" Morrice lineage.
 Now you see how desperate I've become after hours of fruitless searches!
                                  Regards, Peter.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: Saturday 14 January 17 14:54 GMT (UK) »
 I've found a reference to 'Carrog Mansion'. [Built for the Rev- Thomas Richards C1838.]

Also an account of the perceived nastiness of the Morice descendants.

[Merionethshire. In April 1860, Miss Mary Morice, the owner of the Carrog estate, near Llanddeiniol, in north Cardiganshire, sent her tenants the following circular: 'I feel myself morally bound to set before you two alternatives, and you are at liberty to choose for yourself, namely to attend our Church service with your family and thus to support its principles, or otherwise (if your conscience will not allow you to comply with my request) you must quit the farm which you now hold of me.]
                     This ultimatum involved 31 farmers and their families on the Estate.
                            Regards, Peter.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: Saturday 14 January 17 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting background.
Thomas is at Bridge Street in both the 1841 and 1851 censuses.
I am currently trying to chase down an "interesting" record.The will of Averinah Davies(1828) of Caron parish has a son Joseph Davies,and,amongst others,a  daughter Mary to whom she bequeathes the proceeds of the lease of "Penlan".I haven't found a death record that would tell me how old she was.and of course,there are many Penlans,but  I may have found one that's close to some other  "interesting" properties-hopefully more later.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: Saturday 14 January 17 17:29 GMT (UK) »
It feels like one important loop seems to be closing,even if I'm not entirely sure of the final details/relationship yet.
Looking for Joseph Davies,the nephew of Edward Richards of Epsom

Joseph Davies son of Averinah Davies(1828) will (bequeathes benefits of lease of Penlan)
Averina Davies widow of Daniel Davies,Penlan,Caron(1815) will
Daniel Davies probably the son of Joseph Davies,(1780) will

This Joseph Davies has a smithy.
John Davies,son of Peter Davies,married Margaret Davies,daughter of Joseph Davies,Penlan
The will of Joseph Davies(1780),leaves Esgaer Maen Fawr to his daughter Margaret,but acknowledges debt to Peter Davies.
Esgaer Maen Fawr appears in the 1808 will of Thomas Richards of Caron,gent.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: Saturday 14 January 17 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Going daft looking for a will I know I've seen before in which there is a bequest of a property currently called Bryncipill in Llanbadarn Odwyn that will further link some of the records I referred to in the last post and has a direct connection,albeit slightly later,between two locations of interest.
At the moment in the middle is the will of a John Jones of Bryncipill,died 1844,though the will was written in 1840.In it he refers to his "....natural son John Jones curate of Llanerchmedd in Anglesea..."
It turns out he is Curate of Rhodogeidio("Ceidio") and dies in 1843(given 1806-1843).
Further on in the will there is an appointment of a Peter Davies of Glynne Ucha as a guardian-no doubt of the same family as before.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: Saturday 14 January 17 21:37 GMT (UK) »
The Rev. John's 3rd daughter, Catherine had a son that was married to the daughter of the Vicar of Llanerchymedd, David Roberts, at that time. Rhodogeidio is next-door to Llanerchymedd.
 I'm joining you in going daft with the aid of a bottle of Pinot Noir.

Something came to mind. Who would be the officiating Curate at the burial of the Rev. John's daughter, Mary in 1838? (I  have a copy of the  original). Hurrah! John Jones, Curate.
                                  regards, Peter.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: Sunday 15 January 17 19:56 GMT (UK) »
 Spent time today in getting the information that we've gleaned for the Revs. David and Thomas down on 'paper'. My notes need improving but, in the heat of the moment, my writing is a disgrace.
  Things are looking better now that I have some order and it's all beginning to make sense.
 I learned that Thomas' wife, Frances Porter, was the daughter of the Rev. Francis Porter, the Vicar of Wroughton, Wilts. and she was Governess of the Hicks-Beach children. The Hicks-Beaches were huge landowners. Her sister, the author Agnes Porter was a Governess to an array of aristocratic families and was well known in those circles. There is a note in her diary of her first meeting with Thomas Richards, in 1792 before the wedding. "A very amiable man ."
 Thomas and his wife seem to have been rovers.
1787-1792 He was the Curate at Hatherop, Glos.(Close to the Hicks-Beach household)-
1794 Living at Hadley. Middx.
1787 They are living at Knightsbridge. Middx.
1802 They are living at Swindon.
1804 They are living at Fairford, Glos,
1819 They are living at Aberystwyth.

Putting some colour on the family helps me to get a better feeling ... I'm never satisfied with just a name and a date.
                                     Regards, Peter

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: Sunday 15 January 17 20:35 GMT (UK) »
I have no idea whether it is relevant,but I'm currently trying to identify the family of Richard Thomas,will 1763,Tyn Wern,Llanbadarn Fawr.He has a son"... John Richards vicar..."
THere is a Tyn y Wern near Llanrhystud,close to other properties such as these:-

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jab/

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: Monday 16 January 17 18:51 GMT (UK) »
 Lack of census searches is explained by them using the  old name for Llanddeiniol. Llanddinol. Still working on Thomas and the connected Morice family. In my search I see later generations of the Morice family dotted about Llangwyryfon etc.
                                               Regards, Peter