Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 77096 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #405 on: Monday 16 January 17 20:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm still trying to satisfy myself on the "nephew" aspects of Joseph Davies.I can confirm that the 1861 Lledrod parish marriage was between Jane Jones,age 28,living at Ynys y Berfedd,father-John Jones,Blacksmith. and John Lewis aged 28,carpenter of (possibly) Tynlon-there is one next to Penlan and Bryn Issa,father James Lewis,farmer.This fits with previous thoughts and maybe adds a location.

However,I remain highly sceptical about Joseph being the son of Owen and Jane.The MIs certainly do not indicate any specific relationship.For the quoted relationships to work,I think he has to be the brother of Aurelia/Amelia,wife of John Jones.
I'm still drawn to the family of Joseph Davies,will 1780,who appears to have a smithy,and in particular to his son Daniel,who,if I have the right records,would be 1755-1814(with 1815 Penlan will,though this could be any Penlan).His wife is Averinah of an 1828 will,though even this couple stretch the age issue.There could,of course be a relationship between Owen and Joseph/Daniel.
I realise that none of the above addresses the Richards connection!

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: Monday 16 January 17 21:52 GMT (UK) »
 Just been looking at some dates for your last post. The 'nephew' has to be Joseph (1794). He is born a year before Jane (was Davies). The John Jones 'nephew' wasn't born until 1842, didn't appear at Ynysberfedd until the 1861 Census and is shown still living with his mother in the 1871 census before going on to become a Vicar and then Master of Ystradmeurig School.
 He wasn't know to the Rev. Edward. Joseph, being the closest male relative of his sister (still alive in 1833) , would automatically be included in his will.
 The obvious question is, if he is a brother of Averinia why is she shown as his mother in the 1871 census.
                                Regards, Peter
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: Monday 16 January 17 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I meant to say A(u)relia(who I thought might be a mis transcription of Averina,or possibly Amelia).In 1871 she is shown as the mother of John Jones(1842) not Joseph Davies.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 03:54 GMT (UK) »
It's 4-30AM. A new theory about this family has been churning around in my head which seems to lean towards your way of thinking. I'll put the proposition to you later in the day. Back to bed for me!
                                                    regards, Peter
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 09:16 GMT (UK) »
 Awake!
  The first stage of the new hypotheses is to remove the Davies family of Penbryn and to introduce Jane's husband as being a Davies, but from another family altogether.
 The time-frame of the family would show that the parents of Jane, John Edward and James, were living, (in the 1770's), at Bryn Issaf. By the 1790's both parents were deceased  and the males had moved to Epsom and Anglesey. Jane is left as the rear-guard but marries the unknown Davies in C1793.
  They continue to live at Bryn Issaf, having two children (in 1794 and 1795).
 In the early 1800's the Rev. Edward buys 5 properties in Tregaron, probably as an investment, (part of the old Hafod estate). We know that he also bought a small farm in Anglesey for the use of  his brother James and also 'loaned' a quantity of money to his brother John. What did he do for his sister Jane?
He purchased Ynysberfedd for the use of her and her family. Jane's husband died in 1812 and Jane herself died in 1822 leaving her son, Joseph to carry on running the farm. (Joseph's sister, Jane, had married in 1814). Joseph never married and remained at Ynysberfedd until his death in 1872.
 When the. Rev. Edward Richards died in Epsom in 1833 he bequeathed all of his property, in Cardiganshire and Anglesey. to his sons.
 What happened to Bryn Issaf? When Jane died in 1822 she left the freehold to her brother, the Rev, John and the farm is rented out. When John dies in 1832 he leaves the freehold to his son John who then sells ít and deposits the money with his brother, Michael of Parciau.
 The task is to find out what the link is between Joseph and the 'nephew', John Jones, (1842). As you suggest, the link may be through the unknown Davies that was married to Jane.

Regards, Peter.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 11:07 GMT (UK) »
 I have found an Averina Jones in the 1851 census living at Lledrod (Born in 1844). There are no parents shown but a brother that is shown, Lewis Jones, is shown as 51 years old and may, in fact,  be the father. Of greater interest is a servant, William Davies, born Lledrod, aged 18.
 The 1841 census for Tregaron shows an Averina Jones, (1796), aged 75, A son John Jones (1841) and  daughter, Averina, (1844). A Baptism at Swyddfynnon of a John Jones (1833) with father, John Jones and a mother Aurelia Davies. This latter looks interesting.
                                              regards, Peter

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Going out shortly,but the latter is the family of John Jones,blacksmith.I think his first son John dies within a year or two,and he has a second son John circa 1842 who goes on to be the headmaster etc.
If I remember correctly the baptisms are non-con and registered in two different  places reflecting the
abodes/origins(?) of the parents,in this case Llangeitho for "Aurelia/Amelia/Averina"

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Isn't it most likely that the connection between a Davies family and a Richards family will be based on the 1760 freeholders,wherein,John Davies of Llangeitho(living at Caerllyges i.e. Caerllugest) and Thomas Richards of Lledrod both are said to have an interest in "Scrygos"(assuming there is only one such).

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 20:55 GMT (UK) »
I don't know why I didn't think of it before,but I've found John Jones the blacksmith and his wife,plus their first John,who died aged17 months,in the Lledrod MIs.His wife is given as Aurelia.
There are no other useful details and the graves on either side are not obviously related.

Regards
Roger