Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 77034 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 10 August 14 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger, Sorry for the omissions, lost a sheet of notes somewhere.
   The entry for 1719 is Thomas Richards of Caron buying the place. In the entry for 1722 we see that Thomas Richards, Gent, is the same one, from Lledrod and Caron.
 The 1738 one is the family of the Rev. from Caron, taking their shares after the will. So we have identified the strange Thomas of Tythin y Bryn Issaf. It was just a coincidence with the surname that made us think that he was of my family.
 Reading carefully the 1757 entry it makes me wonder whether David is actually the David Richards, of Ffos. How did we miss the Letitia (widow) that was concerned with the 1767 entry. I estimated his DoB as being around 1710 and he is shown on the 1719 entry.
 Another hitch is that the Thomas and Jane Richards of Bryn Issa could well be the Thomas from Caron and his wife and not related to John and James. I've just noticed an Elizabeth Richards on the 1765 entry too, as well as Letitia.
 They use the same name for both properties and I think that there was a Tyddyn y Bryn Issaf, another property, as well. It's hard to work out which place they're referring to.
   Give me your thoughts, especially regarding the identity of David of Ffos.
                                       Regards, Peter.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 10 August 14 22:08 BST (UK) »
Can't get any further at the moment-try again tomorrow.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 11 August 14 15:47 BST (UK) »
No matter how many times I try,I can't find a confident family line for David Richards of Ffos or distinguish the various Thomas Richards' either.
The only new data I have found,which doesn't help,is that there was a Rev. Edward Richards of Epsom,son of David Richards of Lledrod,gent,,dates probably 1759-1833,though his Jesus College,Oxford record might have him as 1765-1833.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 11 August 14 17:27 BST (UK) »
Same here Roger. I was having a look at the modern map of the area today and wondering why three, apparently different families named Richards, were living in that small area,( plus Edward Richard of Ystradmeurig having the mill at Swyddffynnon). I haven't been able to link the families together either and I'm hoping that, during the middle 1700's, they didn't intermarry, muddying the waters even more. We have hardly any records of them having children either although I have a David Richards, B1826, Gwnnws, (as an example), with a wife Elizabeth and children named David, Thomas, John, Elizabeth, William and Evan; all familiar names, but of the next generation. Trying to find out who their parents were would be just as difficult.
 The new Reverend Edward Richards. The 1727 Will of David Richards, Yeoman of Ynys Perfedd, shows 2 sons, David and Edward. The birthdate for Rev. Edward is too late for this to be him but it could be a son of either of the two brothers.
 I think that we've done our best in finding parents for the Rev. John Richards, my x4 Great Grandfather. Of interest is that from 1760, (Birth of Rev. John), right up to recent times, in over 300 entries, there hasn't been a single David amongst them.
 Perhaps at this point we should retire from the fray, bruised but undefeated, taking up the hunt after a suitable interval. (Not too long, remember my age).
 It's been fun; a lesson in history, dead ends and a salutary warning to those that have been reading this topic that things, sometimes, don't come easy.
                       Fine regards from Sweden.      Peter.

Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 11 August 14 17:34 BST (UK) »
I'll probably have another look in a week or two,hopefully with a fresh approach.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 14 August 14 16:45 BST (UK) »
In re-reading your other related threads,I noticed this:-

An entry in the Druid papers describe either a wedding or funeral at Edgehill, Liverpool where the officiating clergy were Rev. D.James, Eglwys Llangwm ...Rev. Robert Pritchard, Llwydiarth Esgob. Elizabeth Richards, only daughter of the late Mr. Richards, Llanerchymedd; the only sister of the Rev. John Richards, Vicar of that place. The entry is undated but appears to be from the late 1700s

Does this imply that the Rev.John's father is buried at Llanerchymedd?I thought you had some photographs of the gravestones of some of the family there.Is he included or have I mis-interpreted the evidence?

Modified-having read the Llwydiarth Esgob thread,it seems the characters are all a generation later.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 15 August 14 09:51 BST (UK) »
The entry was an early attempt by Google Translate to translate from Welsh to English. The actual item is simply a report of the marriage of Elizabeth Richards' marriage to Robert Pritchard of Llwydiarth Esgob. The "late Mr. Richards" refers to James, the Rev's brother. The entry is from April, 1841.
 I'm looking at the later generations around Lledrod, trying to work backwards to link them to the folk  that we have. I had a look at an old map of the 3 properties involved in the Merllyd area. They are Joined by a simple cart track and to get to the furthest house (Ynys Perfedd), you have to pass the other 2. The owner of Bryn Issaf has told me that the present house dates from the 1800's but that the ruins of the original house are still there. I'm awaiting a photo from her. I'd hazard a guess that the properties involved were quite small and not of any great quality, certainly not enough to cause such a flurry of negotiations. The land, on the other hand, looks desirable.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 15 August 14 16:26 BST (UK) »
I have found one other possible source of information that may help in the absence of parish register data-there are booklets of monumental inscriptions produced by the local Family History Society.I  have taken a gamble,not really knowing what dates are covered/extant,and ordered the ones for Lledrod and Ystrad Meurig.Hopefully they will arrive next week.If they contain any useful information,I will happily pass them on.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 15 August 14 20:02 BST (UK) »
That's great Roger. Thanks.