Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 76329 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 August 14 18:10 BST (UK) »
If I have the right person,the following does not fit the theory:-

https://histfam.familysearch.org//getperson.php?personID=I119059&tree=Welsh

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 August 14 18:13 BST (UK) »
News Flash. Just received a letter from Library of Wales. I quote ...

"Certainly there were Thomas and David Richards with some relationship to Bryn Issa during the 1700's, according to the papers of the Trawsgoed Estate which owned Bryn Issaf (BRYN MERLLYD) at that time. In 1798 the resident was the Rev.O.F.Owen, vicar of Llanilar."
 So your post was spot on!

[quote author Despair.
Again, you have probably seen it, but amongst many references to David Richards of Lledrod at NLW there is one dated 1757,an indenture of £100-David Richards of Foesybleidded(sic) and Letitia his wife to Edward Richards of Spytty Ystrad Meyrick(sic) re a property called Bryn Merllyd and a note of 1764 acknowledging repayment of capital and interest by Thomas Richards.

Bryn Merllyd is  given elsewhere as "alias Tythyn-y-Bryn-Issa")

1757 was the date that David moved to Ffos. Edward must be Edward from the school at Ystradmeurig. John was born at Bryn Issaf in 1760. The above seem to be  negotiations to obtain a home for a newly-wed couple, (John and James' parents).
John must have inherited Bryn Issaf because in his will dated 1832 he leaves the property Bryn Issaf, to his son at Llangadwaladr, Anglesey.
                 Yes, we're getting closer.

Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 August 14 18:25 BST (UK) »
 Shame about Letitia at Histfam .... but how wonderful not to have a Rear Admiral John Thomas in the family!
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 August 14 19:29 BST (UK) »
Apologies-the record from Histfam was for James Lloyd,the son of John Lloyd.Here is John's record

https://histfam.familysearch.org//getperson.php?personID=I119048&tree=Welsh

Not sure now about Letitia

Regards
Roger

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hello

Ffosybleiddiaid,Lledrod

In a book I have ,it mentions the above house was occupied by tenants such as David Richards who farmed there with his wife Letitia in 1757.He was followed by his son ,also David.By 1843 the property was owned by Major Lloyd-Phillips of Mabws and tenanted  by David Meredith
Kind regards
omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 15:39 BST (UK) »
A few other points that seem to me to make more sense of some of the data,but don't necessarily
lead to the answer(s) you want  yet.

In the Crosswood2(B) documents at NLW there is a reference in 1719 to a David Richard,yeoman of Ynis Pervedd(sic) with an interest in Tythyn Bryn Merllyd with a son and heir Richard David.As we know the property is at least in part synonymous with Tythyn y Bryn Issa and later on apparently Pen(Y)Bryn.There are three relatively adjacent properties in Swyddffynnon on current maps- Ynys y Berfedd,PenBryn and Bryn Isaf and not too far from Ffos.

The will of 1722 of David Richard which I quoted may not be relevant.There is a will of 1727 of Richard David of Ystrad Meurig who also,it seems,has a wife Magdalen(a little unclear),and inevitably,amongst others,sons David and Edward.

The David Richards(note Richards) of Lledrod first seen I think in these documents in 1742 is given as a gent-perhaps too early for the "conversion" you speak of.He seems to have dealings with a Rees Parry,who has a wife Letitia.Perhaps he also has a daughter Letitia and it is she who marries David Richards in 1737.The 1742 interest is a property called Henrde Rys.
There is not an obvious known family link between David Richards,gent, and the yeoman's family,yet in 1753 there is David Richards of Lledrod,gent,with an interest in Tyddyn y Bryn Merllyd!

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Omega1,
                 The son of  David Richards of Ffos was named David Meredith Richards, (1747-1810) The man you mention may be yet another son named David. (Groan).

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger,
              My visitors from Moscow have just left for home so I need a small rest before sorting out my next post. A signal of tiredness was me spending half an hour trying to read a will from 1682 before realizing that it was written in Latin! Watch this space!

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 17:54 BST (UK) »
Nil desperandum!

Regards
Roger