Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 76390 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #378 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Stephen Morris(sic) is also mentioned in the 1777 will of Reverend David Richards Hyssington when he leaves all his various properties "......now in the possession of Stephen Morris....." to his son Thomas.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 19:36 GMT (UK) »
 I haven't been able to trace  the Rev.  David at Oxford but we don't yet know whether he attended there or when.
 In the 1850's there is yet another Reverend to make our lives a misery. Rev. Thomas Richards Morice. It looks as though, at that date, the Morice family is trying to consolidate their numerous holdings with mortgages flying around and properties being swapped. Are we taking this Morice family as being not the original Morice family of Carrog but the "new" usurpers that came in by marriage?
                     The visitors strangled my analytical Powers.
                                          Regards, Peter.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 20:56 GMT (UK) »
It looks to me that the Reverend Thomas Richards Morice,born 1829, is a fellow and don of Jesus College Oxford,given as 3rd son of James Morice of Llanbadarn Fawr.This James Morice in turn born circa 1790,is the son of James Morice who married Mary Richards(sister of Thomas) in 1789.I also think the latter is the James Morice of Carrog whose will of 1839 is at NLW.I haven't read it through,but I can see at least one name from other wills in this family - Penygraig.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 21:32 GMT (UK) »
  NLW doesn't have the 1777 will of the Rev. David Richards, or anything else that relates to him. It's the usual problem with anyone born at his Circa date of 1730. (This is the circa date that I attributed to the Rev John's father, David). The Rev. John and the Rev. David were born in the same Year, +/- 2 years.
    As usual, I wonder whether the Rev. David of Hyssington had anything to do with the fortunes of his siblings. Suspects in the transformation of this yeoman family, (in 1727), who seem to have done remarkably well in such a short time have always been Lloyd of Ffosybleiddiaid and Edward Richard, schoolmaster. Now perhaps there is another influence in the form of the wealthy Rev. David and his son, the Rev.Thomas. (He is described as a philanthropist).

regards, Peter.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: Wednesday 11 January 17 22:55 GMT (UK) »
There is a 1795 will for Stephen Morice,gent,Nant y Cutta(sic)-but it can't be viewed online.It is marked "Request"

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: Thursday 12 January 17 10:03 GMT (UK) »
 My first thought this morning, although a bit off the present research, concerns the 5 sons of Richard David of Strygos. (Will 1727)
 We know that 2 of his sons, David and Thomas, had sons named David and here we are again, looking for David, (the son of one of the remaining 3 sons). It wouldn't surprise me if all of the 5 had sons named David. Three out of five is statistically relevant and, later, in our search for the father of the Rev. David of Hyssington, we will have to have definite proof of which of the three was his father.
 Another noticeable point is that the known sons of Richard David named their sons after themselves or their brothers. The Rev. David (Hyssington) named his son after his brother Thomas. Thomas named his son after his brother David, David named his son David after himself.
 The only brother name that we see in the next generation is Edward. None of the children are named William or Lewis. This fact, coupled with a total lack of information about those two, suggests to me that we could be looking at Edward as being the missing father for Rev. David.
 Speculation of course but it may help later on.
                                                       regards, Peter

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: Thursday 12 January 17 10:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm having ttrouble also finding records for the Reverend Thomas Richards.I can't find him at Shrewsbury School,thogh there is a "no details" record for a David Richard(s) in 1738 and  1741.
I can't find him in Magdalen College,and I can't find a marriage record.
It seems likely that a fair amount of property may have come into the family of David Richards(1756 will),by the association with the Mor(r)ices of Carrog.Perhaps it goes back much further than we realise.Certainly David's eldest daughter Elizabeth had married a James Morrice and the 1756 will is full of Morrice grandchildren.
In a random trawl of "earlier" Mor(r)ice wills I looked just now at Richard Morice(clerk) 1747,Llanrhystud.At a quick glance it seems to have some interesting property names e.g Lluest y Gron Shans(?).
Ihave to go out shortly to accompany my father to hospital and won't be back until this evening.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: Thursday 12 January 17 19:05 GMT (UK) »
 I've managed to confirm that the Rev. Thomas Richards was the Master of the Farmor School at Fairford, Gloucestershire at a salary of £30 per year. This salary puts into perspective the £12,000 marriage settlement that the Rev. Edward Richards of Epsom received 15 years earlier.
 I've confirmed the death date of Thomas as being 1852 and that of his wife, Frances, as being 1823 although her age at death puts her Dob as 1767, not 1764.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/glos/vol7/pp69-86#h3-0011   
                            (Education, Para. 3)

[In 1817, when the curate Thomas Richards was master, the school, which had been enlarged by John Raymond-Barker, became a National school for the children of the town and neighbourhood.]

Regards, Peter

PS I've managed to confirm the Rev. David Richards at Ratlinghope for the period 1767/70.

http://www.melocki.org.uk/salop/Ratlinghope.html
                              iv. Ratlinghope Registers. Clergy List.
 1769. David Richards, signs in 1767-70 as " Minister," and afterwards as " Curate."

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: Thursday 12 January 17 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Not that it helps,but the Richard Morice will of 1747 lists Nant y Cutta(less sure now about Lluest y Gronshans),so Richard and Stephen are related.It's hard to say whether any meaningful property or land came into the Richards line at this time via Elizabeth

Regards
Roger