Author Topic: Butterfields of Haworth, Stanbury, Keighley and Bingley  (Read 24643 times)

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Butterfields of Haworth, Stanbury, Keighley and Bingley
« on: Sunday 03 August 14 12:11 BST (UK) »
This is my first post here, so hope I am doing it correctly! I have been researching the Butterfield family in the Keighley area for some time now, and have quite a large draft tree, which I am now checking over in detail...and so am finding out quite a few things to question.

My most pressing question at the moment is this - I can trace the family back in a direct line back to a James Butterfield, who married a Mary Tempest in Kildwick in 1806...but who were his parents?

For a while I had a Jacob Butterfield, who was married to Alice Moorehouse...but I have since discovered that their son James died in 1791 aged 5, so clearly not the same one!

Now I have several others to consider - is he James, b 1778,  son of Isaac and Betty Brigg?  Or is he James, illegitimate son of Mary b about 1785? Or is he someone else??

I've seen a couple of posts on here this morning, which suggest there might be someone who knows more....if so, I would love to hear from you!  It's worth saying that most of these other James's are in my extended tree anyway....but whether they are in the right place is another matter!

Living in hope...

Cliffelinks65

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Butterfields of Haworth, Stanbury, Keighley and Bingley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 August 14 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hello & welcome
Have you seen James' marriage entry to see if there are any Butterfield witnesses?

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 August 14 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Jim,

No, I haven't seen the record - I only have info from the Select Marriages information, which doesn't show written details.....but I will look again...right now!

Cliffelinks65

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 August 14 19:37 BST (UK) »
The James son of Isaac is an interesting entry:
Born May 10 1778 son of Isaac Butterfield comber of Denholm ? & his wife Betty daughter of Joshua Brigg.
I don't think I've ever seen an entry like that.

James son of Mary says she's from Stanbury which is near Haworth.

jim
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 August 14 19:55 BST (UK) »
& the other James:
Born March 29 1786 son of Jacob Butterfield of Hill Top & his wife Alice daughter of John Monkhouse.
Died 1791.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 August 14 20:02 BST (UK) »
I agree, Jim - I have this record already and think the same.

Actually it was my second best guess for the right James, after realising that Jacob's James had died at 5. Now I'm not so sure - there are several with the same name who would fit as the husband of Mary Tempest, all born within the right time span - and it seems most of them are in the extended tree!

Mary, the mother of the James who was illegitimate, had a sister Martha, who also had an illegitimate son, named Elijah. I think there may be other children too, and another sister, so that's where I am searching at the moment. 

The 1700s aren't that easy, are they?!

Cliffelinks65

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 August 14 20:10 BST (UK) »
Nope, that's why you need the information from his marriage to see if there are any Butterfield witnesses as this narrows the field considerably.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 August 14 18:47 BST (UK) »
I agree, Jim - I have this record already and think the same.

Actually it was my second best guess for the right James, after realising that Jacob's James had died at 5. Now I'm not so sure - there are several with the same name who would fit as the husband of Mary Tempest, all born within the right time span - and it seems most of them are in the extended tree!

Mary, the mother of the James who was illegitimate, had a sister Martha, who also had an illegitimate son, named Elijah. I think there may be other children too, and another sister, so that's where I am searching at the moment. 

Cliffelinks65

Hi there Cliffelinks
I do not have an online tree but can post an link to some info from a previous rootschat topic i posted (I think you may have seen these , but if not here is info)

The Elijah you mention is my grt x 4 grandfather , he was born illegitimate ,  his mother was Martha Butterfield born 1763 d/o Joseph and Mary , Martha had a sister Mary who is baptised the same day( Mary i believe also has illegitimate children) and I believe is also the subject of a removal order when she was age 4 " a poor child" (see link at bottom of post) . There was another sister too Eunice / Unice. I think there is also a brother John.
One strange thing is that at thier parents Joseph and Mary (Hey) marriage 1755 is that Joseph makes his mark with a circle O instead of the usual cross X
 Elijah was born at a place called Pitchers Clough not far from Ponden Mill. Its all rather sad I'm afraid as Martha died in the workhouse (in a time of famine 1795-6). If you notice in the Keighley burials for the same time period there are quite a number of early / young deaths of "decay"  .  She had other illegitimate children, Michael and Martha . Baby Martha was baptised after mum Martha had died "abode workhouse" .

Elijah marries Ann Hoyle.

An interesting Butterfield is Henry , who was a physical force chartist and sent to prison for illegally drilling men in Bradford. I believe he is probably the Henry born about 1816 Bingley he marries Mally Judson), occupation Stuff weaver 1841 .  . He is living at Hainworth Shay toward Bingley in 1851 . Near where many of his co-accused (sedition, drilling , riot ect)  are and not far from the ringleader Isaac Ickeringill . There is a long list of them in court same time. His record is on ancestry criminal records in 1848 . He is a pauper in 1851.

Sorry if this post is all a bit cobbled together  but do not have info at hand at moment . Just going by what I remember. Will post more info soon

Info from link below
"... believe Mary is the daughter of Joseph and Mary (nee Hey) Butterfield m 1755 . Mary was bpt Keighley 19th Oct 1763 (with sister Martha bapt the same date) Both born Ponden Mill  near Stanbury (owned by a different local family and before the big mill was built there)  .
There is a family connection with Addingham mill but thats later on .   
Another thing is that sister Martha has  illigitimate children  (as does Mary and another sister Unice)  .
Marthas  illegitimate children are bapt  at Keighley  ,  at  Haworth and a possible one  is bapt as far away as  Dewsbury .  ( Martha dies just after childbirth with her baby bapt living /Oakworth/Keighley Workhouse . Martha dies of 'decay' age  31  and is buried Keighley d/o Joseph)  .
Mary dies age 29 of "lung"  d/o Joseph  buried Keighley . So if its same Mary in above removal order   im wondering why Addingham and West Layton .
There is a lot of ilegitimacy in this family  and also im wondering if the siblings are moving around for work.."
also there is a later removal order
Held at Keighley library 1784
Removal order of Mary Butterfield from Haworth to Keighley
unfortunatly , this one dosnt give an age but it does fit with our Mary being pregnant and unmarried
(son James bapt Haworth 15th feb  1785 b****rd )..
... . . . also held at Keighley archives .
"Bastardy bond of John Butterfield of Pitcher Clough , Keighley , shalloon weaver , and Mary Butterfield same , the mother of a female child .  28 Feb 1760". 
All these 3 orders in my above posts are (i believe) about an extended family from a very remote sparsly populated part of the Keighley/Haworth Moor area near Ponden mill ..."

Topic with infi above about Mary removal order "a poor child" and bastardy orders
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=604211.0

Another topic about Joseph and Marys (Hey) marriage The mark of is a circle
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=584780.0

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 August 14 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hello sallyyorks,

I am so pleased you have seen my post, and many thanks for all this information.  Yes, I had seen your earlier posts - they prompted me to join up!

I will compare the information you have given with what I have here, and post again sometime tomorrow if that is ok with you.

The James I am looking for is my 3rd greatgrandfather, and I have his descendants direct to me all in place - if he is the one you mentioned, born 1785 to Mary illegitimately, then it would solve a lot.  He would certainly fit. (...but so do the other two James' I have....!)

Anyway, for now, back to my files to work things out, and I will write again tomorrow.

Many, many thanks for this.

Cliffelinks 65