Author Topic: Butterfields of Haworth, Stanbury, Keighley and Bingley  (Read 24749 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Butterfields of Haworth, Stanbury, Keighley and Bingley
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 August 14 21:41 BST (UK) »
OK great . I will have proper dates and more info tomorrow.
Am int pub at moment , funnily enough with another Butterfield !  :) (theirs  from Leeds area originally though)

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 August 14 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hello again, sallyyorks,

Here is what i have so far -

I have a record of a marriage in Kildwick between James Butterfield and Mary Tempest, 18 Feb 1806.

James and Mary had the following children - William b1806 (my direct line), Ann b1807, John b1809, Joseph b1810, Elizabeth b1812, Martin b1814, and Thomas b1816. I have further information about most of these children, and their descendants.

My William appears to have been married twice, first to Anne Smith, with whom he had 5 children, and then Mary Laycock, with whom he had a further 4. The last one of these was my paternal greatgrandfather Gill. At some point William moved to Bradford, I think with his second wife. Until starting this research, I had always assumed my family were all Bradford born - not so, it seems. I can give you more details on this if you need them.

So...the question is, where does my James come from in the first place?  These are the choices, all of whom appear in my extended tree (which is now turning out to be very large!):-

I have a James, b 1778 to Isaac and Betty Brigg – they had other children as well – John, Sally, then James, and lastly Isaac.
Isaac’s father was also Isaac, married to Anne Harrison, and his father seems to have been a John Butterfield, b 1676, and married to Mary Smith. These two seem to be as near as I can get to a “beginning” – I have many lines coming from John and Mary, and their children.

Then there is the James I mentioned in my first post, son of Jacob and Alice Moorehouse, who died when he was 5. Jacob also goes back to John b 1676.

I also have a James, b 1791 to Isaac and Martha  Hey (a relative of Mary Hey perhaps). Their other children were Mary,b 1782, Isaac b 1784, John b 1785 and Nicholas b 1794.

There is yet another James, living in Sutton, born in Haworth, on the 1841 census, with children Thomas, Anne Isaac, Adam and an Edmund Berry, who I think was Anne’s son.  Not sure where this James fits in!

It’s pretty clear that this family was in the area around Keighley – Stanbury, Haworth ,Kildwick, Glusburn, Sutton and towards Bingley...and I also think to the Barrowford/Colne area.  As you have said in an earlier post, likely to be all related, but moving around locally for work.

As far as James, son of Mary is concerned, I also have Eunice/Unice, Martha and John in my files. I don't know anything about Eunice at all, but John may have married a Mary Tatham, and had a child called Jacob. I knew about Martha's children, Martha and Michael, but not about the workhouse/bastardy issues you mention.

I've just read all this back - all quite confusing really, so I apologise if you thnk the same! I'd be very grateful for any clarification you can give, both about these James's and the family generally.

The irony of all this is that I lived in Bingley myself for ten years until moving north...my parents lived there longer, and had been born in Bradford before moving away for about 12 years before returning - and as a family we had no knowledge of family connections in the area at all!

Thanks in advance for anything you can add or take away!

Regards
Cliffelinks65

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 August 14 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi again .
Yes a lot of them do seem to stem from John and Mary (Smith) married 1696 Keighley
Have in my notes
Children
Isabel 1699
Ann 1705 (dies young ?)
Susannah 1707
Isaak 1710
John 1712 (Martha & Mary sisters with sons Elijah & James line)
Abraham 1715
Thomas 1718 ( think this is the mill owners line)
Anne 1720

Think my line back is (bapt or born)
Tom Butterfield b Bradford 1890 (m Ruthannie Ingleson)
John William Butterfield b Keighley 1852 ( m Sarah Jane Barton)
William Butterfield b Keighley 1816 (m Martha Pickles)
Elijah Butterfield b 1787 born Pitcher Clough (m Ann Hoyle)
Martha Butterfield b 1763 Ponden (near Pitcher Clough)
Joseph Butterfield b 1733 Keighley (of Ponden/Pitcher Clough)
John Butterfield b 1712 ,a weaver, Keighley (of area) (m Susanna Pighells/ Pickles)
John Butterfield marries Mary Smith in 1699 Keighley (of area)

What ties them together is that the parish records often give abodes. Pitcher Clough and Ponden Mill area are very close. They are on Google maps and I think where Elijahs brother Michael is born is right next to Pitcher Clough at Throstles Nest (Deanfield ?)

More in my notes is (though nothing certain because its so far back)
Joseph , a weaver,  and Mary (Hey) m 1755 both make mark but Joseph unusually with an O
Children
Unice 1756 abode Pitcher Clough
Martha and Mary 1763 Ponden Mill (next to each other on page)
John 1764 of Ponden (dies young ?)
John 1766 of Ponden
Ann 1766 of Ponden
Susan 1769 is bapt Haworth but of Pitcher Clough
Sally 1778 of Pitcher Clough
Rachel 1781 of Pitcher Clough
Whether these last few are of same Jo and Mary not 100% sure.

Martha has (all illegitimate)
Elijah 1787
Michael bapt (probably late) 1795
Martha 1795 (who is baptised just after Martha dies , abode Workhouse)

Mary
What can I say about Mary
I am pretty sure that Mary (i looked for another Mary it could be)  is the "Poor Child age about 4" in the removal order.
Here are the details

BC90049 Addingham Township Records 49D90
Overseers of the Poor
Removal Orders
49D90/6/e5
9th October 1767
Removal order of Mary Butterfield a poor child aged about 4 , from Long Addingham to West Layton
Location of Archive Bradford GB 202

Then there is this

Keighley Township Records BK1/16/1/88
Removal Papers
Removal Orders
Held at Keighley
Administered by Keighley Local Studies Library
Removal Order of Mary Butterfield , from Haworth to Keighley
Date 1784

This fits with the bapt of James and of Mary being removed because she is pregnant .

James 1785 Haworth bas***d son of Mary Butterfield
There is also I think a brother (also illegitimate)
William 19th May 1789 Keighley (I have in my notes Pitcher Clough for both but need to double check that)

Also relating to Pitcher Clough is an earlier Bastardy Order back in 1760

Keighley BK1/3/1/42
28th Feb 1760
Bastardy Bond of John Butterfield of Pitcher Clough , Keighley , shalloon weaver, and Mary Butterfield same , the mother of a female child

Running out of space . Will have a look on ancestry  tomorrow at your lot  :)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 August 14 20:47 BST (UK) »
Cont ....
PS forgot to add . Rather touchingly Martha and Marys sister Unice names her (illegitimate) daughters Martha and Mary
Keighley 6th of July 1786
Mary age 1 year dau of Eunice Butterfield of Pitcher Clough
Martha age 1 year dau of Eunice Butterfield of Pitcher Clough

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 17 August 14 20:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all this - I will compare with what I have here (I think you have added a bit for me!), and also post again tomorrow.

Cliffelinks65

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 August 14 16:11 BST (UK) »
Is this your James / the family or maybe a cousin in Sutton / Kildwick ?
Edit Sorry i see you have already mentioned these

1841 Census Sutton/Kildwick
Lane Ends / New Hall, Low Fold
Keighley dist 29
("All that part of the township of Sutton in the Parish of Kildwick,
 comprising from west Lane bottom to the nook, the north side
of the Bent . Northside of the Turnpike Road to Lane Ends")
All born in county
James Butterfield 1786 - lab (labourer)
Thos Butterfield 1821
Ann Butterfield 1821
Grace Butterfield 1821
Addam Butterfield 1826
Edmd Butterfield 1836

1851 Census (i think same place as above, or nearby)
Sutton
James Butterfield b 1781 - born  Haworth - widower- labourer ag
Isaac Butterfield 1821- b Sutton  son - - warp dresser
Adam Butterfield 1826 - b Sutton - son -  ag labourer
Edmond Berry - 1836 - B Sutton - grandson

Have double checked this from my earlier post
"James 1785 Haworth bas***d son of Mary Butterfield
There is also I think a brother (also illegitimate)
William 19th May 1789 Keighley (I have in my notes Pitcher Clough for both but need to double check"

As Jim said its Stanbury (not far from Pitcher Clough/ Ponden)

Haworth St Michael and All Angels
15th feb 1785
James a son of Mary Butterfield, Bas***d (of ) Stanbury

Willam is bapt 19th may - 1789 at Keighley of Mary

Edit - There is also this at Haworth
James Butterfield
20 Jan 1783
Baptism 
Haworth, St Michael and All Angels
Father's Name: John Butterfield

There are more James than i thought there would be , i see what you mean , its quite a common name at the time and id thought of it as unusual

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 August 14 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Just seen your latest message - will read now!
Meanwhile, here is what I have written this afternoon in reply to yesterday........

Going from John Butterfield  and Mary Smith, married 1696, I have all the same children as you, with the addition of a Mary b 1701. Of these children I have the following :
Susannah, b 1707 possibly marrying a John Midgeley 1727. She dies 1729
Isaac – marriage to Anne Harrison in 1733 , and 7 children
John – marriage to Susan(na) Pighills in 1732, and 3 children
Abraham – marriage to Sarah Bins 1843, and one child
Thomas – marriage to Alice Smith 1738, and 6 children

Rather than Thomas, I have this  Isaac as the ancestor of the Butterfields who owned the mills and ultimately Cliffe Castle in Keighley – I have traced out their ancestry as a separate tree, which is very   interesting its own right, with several prominent American and French connections, including Theodore Roosevelt’s family.

Looking at your line, I also have Tom Butterfield  b 1890 in Bradford....looking further into this, it suggests that we are probably distantly related (quite how depends on the” elusive James’s”, but related nonetheless!) At the moment Tom could be a 6th cousin 1x of mine.....or something like that anyway.

A few months ago I visited Cliffe Castle (fascinating!) and the surrounding area, in particular Haworth and Stanbury, for the first time in more years than I care to remember.  Our destination was the Grouse inn at Oldfield  - the landlord there in the later 1800s was a Butterfield – and, to get there,  we passed from Stanbury across the valley to Ponden, Pitcher’s Clough and Scartop.  All round that area I have Butterfield abodes at different times. Deanfield or Deansfield comes up quite often, also Hill Top, Two Laws and Haworth itself.  .  As you have said, it is still very rural, and must have been even more so then...so it is highly likely that most  of the Butterfields then were related. All these places are really quite close to each other.  But what a jigsaw it is proving to be!

As regards Joseph Butterfield and Mary Hey, I’ve looked into this family today, and think that Susan, Sally and Rachel are indeed  their children, as well as the others we have who were born earlier..  The Baptism records for Sally and Rachel mention both Joseph and Mary Hey; Susan’s just says Joseph as the father.

When we come to Elijah, Michael and Martha, it does seem odd that Michael was baptised about 4 months prior to Martha, so maybe it was a late baptism as you suggest. There are a lot of “gaps” between some births and baptisms in many of the other records I have from that time.
I note your comments about Eunice – I did not have this information at all.

Also, I am not familiar with the Township Records you mentioned – I only have the printed records from Haworth Parish and  I extracted the Keighley parish records myself from an online resource. I also have some printed records from Kildwick. Are these Township records held in Keighley and Bradford?

Lastly, for now, I have also done some preliminary searching for this Michael, who I didn’t know about – it looks like he went into Lancashire later, but I need to do more before I can confirm that.
All this is showing me how I need to focus on the detail – I feel I will be drawing more charts this week!

Now I will look at what you have just sent....back soon!

Cliffelinks65

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 August 14 18:13 BST (UK) »
Yes :) probably related ... great post about the area, yes it is interesting and Bronte country too. We used to go up to the Silent Inn sometimes , you can see Pitcher Clough from one of the car parks. Can't say ive heard  much good before about  any of the Keighley mill owners at that time though.

Have just noticed something about the 1841 Census we mentioned (Keighley dist 29). 
It is only an 8 page Schedule , so i have been looking through it page by page
James and co are on the very last page 8, and is the last household listed . I think  going toward Cowling and Oakworth area
On the previous page 7 is a Tempest family (living very close to yours)
Wm Tempest 1776 - pensioner
Ann Tempest 1791
Ann Tempest 1825
Jonas Tempest 1837

and on page 2 of same schedule
Jane Tempest 1781
George T 1821
Mary 1826
Edward 1836

page 5
Ruben Tempest 1821
Martha 1821

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 August 14 19:47 BST (UK) »
..sorry forgot to add . This is where you can find the Bastardy and Removal Orders . Its the archives wyjs
There is a search link top right
http://www.archives.wyjs.org.uk/

This is Marys first ? removal order
http://catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=BC90049%2f6%2f5%2f5&pos=8

I do think that the James on the census might be your James . He is in the right place and the right age . There is also a Thomas b 1821 with him . The age for Thomas is out but ages can be on the 1841. The "Grace" with them might be a wife of one of the sons (on 1841)
With baptisms , the baptism might be late, so not the same year as born. Elijah's wife's family the Hoyles have late late baptisms . Anns (nee Hoyle)  mother Agnes (nee Sugden)  is buried the same day as her (anns) little brothers baptism, he was named Sugden Hoyle . Some are job lots,  when a few siblings might be baptised on the same day . They were living in remote areas like you say and the nearest churches were Keighley and Haworth at that time , so a bit of a traipse for them .

Tempest being used as a first name in the family is fortunate . We have this with a line of Sugden Butterfields . Toms brother and uncle and so on were both called Sugden Butterfield , it comes from Elijah's wife's mum . Way back !

Hope all that made sense  :)