Author Topic: Butterfields of Haworth, Stanbury, Keighley and Bingley  (Read 24745 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Butterfields of Haworth, Stanbury, Keighley and Bingley
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 21 August 14 23:12 BST (UK) »
If the James on census near Kildwick  (with the Edmund Berry connection) is your James then I  still think your James is probably from this area originally.
Might come in useful in future

District 19 Keighley, Lane Ends/Oakworth area
12 pages (pages ancestry index)
 (Sorry missed occupations for first few)

1841 Census

Butterfields (all born in county)

Page 5
Hannah 1786
Mary 1816
Nancy 1836

Page 5
Mary 1816
James 1816

Page 6
John 1816 - wool comber
Mary 1816
Ann 6 months

Page 6
Robert 1816 - wool comber
Ann 1821 - wool comber
Emma 1838
Sarah Ann 1839
Squire (baby ?)

Page 7
Susannah 1796 - worsted weaver
Thomas 1822 - worsted weaver
Ogden 1826- wool comber
James 1826 -worsted weaver
Richard 1829
Abraham 1835
Betty 1838

Page 8
Elijah 1786- carrier
Ann 1786
John 1821 - wool comber
Mary 1823 - factory
Betty 1826 - factory
John 1836

Page 11 (near Pitcher Clough)
Wm 1816- worsted weaver
Martha 1816
Joseph 1839
Agnes 14 days
Mary Ann Pickles 1834 (illeg dau of Martha)

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 22 August 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
Just started looking at the detail on reply 25, but began today with reply 27 - (no wonder we get confused!)

Anyway, a lot of this does seem to point to James...I feel there is something connecting here, but haven't worked it all out yet. I agree that Lane Ends as an area seems significant in all this.

The 1841 list you sent is very interesting in its own right - Elijah clearly lived near to William his son.

That much is reasonably straightforward. This afternoon  I have been focussing on Susannah nearby.  She seems to be a "spinster", and I have the records for baptisms for sons Thomas and Ogden who were living with her at the time.

However, I also already have a record for a son Robert,born 1814. She is registered as being at Turnshaw when Robert and Thomas were born. And on the previous page of this census, we have a Robert who fits the bill - so more of her family living close by. So it looks like yet another illegitimate birth here - who is Susannah??

I've traced some new lines from Ogden which I didn't have before - and thankfully there are some unusual names which is making it easier - Lot and Selina for example, so I will complete that chart later on today.

The more I look at what I have here, and compare it with detailed maps of the area/districts at that time and the suggested population figures, the more I think the Butterfields were more or less all connected - but it is proving to be a major jigsaw. 

My part of the family moved to Bradford in the mid to late 1800s, when there was much more movement for work than earlier, the Industrial Revolution being in full swing then. But prior to that all the names are local to Keighley, and often very near to each other.  I have locations in Kildwick, Glusburn, Sutton, Steeton, Keighley itself, Cowling, Oakworth, Haworth, Oxenhope,  Hill Top, Two Laws, Long Lea, Turnshaw etc and many places in between - many of the other names look like farms or perhaps hamlets.

Very grateful for your help, sallyyorks....guess we could do with help from other "relatives" too...there must be some, surely!

Time for a chart, I think....

Cliffelinks65

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 22 August 14 18:22 BST (UK) »
re Susannah - I found a baptism in Keighley for a Susannah, b 1793, parents William B and Mary Lawson - could this be her?

Cliffelinks65

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 23 August 14 16:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry for confusion with posts. I do wonder sometimes wether it is better to edit or add another post, as i know it's easy to miss a post when reading .
Yes Bradford, I expect many families moved to towns and cities.
I noticed your Butterfields are at Tumbling Hill Street area (Butcher Street) , right near the centre off Thornton Road,(/Longside Lane/New Gratton/Thornton Road/)  wich was near where my John William B 1852 is in 1891 census , Leathem Street, not there anymore.
Your Gill is then up at Little Horton Lane and also not far from where John W moves to Havelock st , Grt Horton (near the big tesco at Grt Horton now) and then Tom is born at Rosse Street , back down toward Tumbling Hill Street. I wonder if the Bradford Butterfields ever  met up and knew their relatedness to each other . Sat in a pub like the Mill Lane with clay pipes debating it , "nay lad , that wer 't tother James o'er at Sheepoyles, yonder , favthurs muther wor a Pickles " , like that  ;D
When my lot first appear in Bradford on the census (1871 ) it is at Bowling (West) , near "Ripley Ville", Bowling Old Lane area. A lot of it all pulled down in the clearances of the 1970s.

I am very interested in the industrial revolution and Bradfords history, especialy the strikes, early trade unions, chartists and so on. The high rates of illegitamacy might partly be connected to the mill bosses / managers, but thats nothing certain me saying that.
Illegitamcy wasn't uncommon in rural areas anyway   

Your chart sounds great , quite a task. Im afraid im a bit all over the place with my records but have been thinking about doing some more 1841 Butterfield lists for the area this week . Will post them  :)
Will have a look for Susannah too

Keighley aug 20th ,1844 At Ogden Butterfields x marriage , overlooker,  of Lane Ends,  to
Hannah Lister x , of Lane Ends , minor, d/o Thomas, wool comber, 
Ogden has no father named , line drawn through
Witnesses
James Hey x
Sarah Foulds

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 23 August 14 20:09 BST (UK) »
...and thinking about you saying "could do with some help " from other Butterfields.  The site moderators/staff  can move the topic to the Yorkshire West Riding section of the website if you like. Could request topic moved from Beginners section to there .

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 25 August 14 09:09 BST (UK) »
2nd that request for this subject be moved to West Riding board.
 Brian
[Could a passing mod oblige]
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 25 August 14 10:24 BST (UK) »
I agree too - thanks - how do I ask for this?  Just reading the site notes...
Cliffelinks65

Offline Cliffelinks65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 25 August 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
Moved to the right board now - thank you!

Tried to be more organised this afternoon - I have extracted all the Butterfields (incl variant spellings) from the Keighley, Sutton, Kildwick, Haworth, Bingley and Addingham 1941 Census records. (Might check over Skipton, and Barrowford/Colne later).

So that's about 350 altogether. Now checking against my tree......

I suppose this is a statement of the obvious to more experienced researchers, but it is interesting to see how many other surnames keep appearing in these records time and time again. Feather, Hey, Pighills, Sunderland and quite a few more, all apparently much larger "families" than mine. I also noticed that it was very common for sons to be given the mother's maiden name as their first name - and in the Butterfields' case, this is very helpful with the jigsaw.

Hoping there are others with links to this area,

Cliffelinks65

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 18:42 BST (UK) »
It seems a common trait in the West Riding to use mothers maiden names as forenames for sons.
Although those names can be passed down a few generations too. I suspect there are also quite a few cousin marriages in the remote areas and before the industrial revolution.
Toms brother was named Sugden Butterfield b 1872 (and his uncle b 1845) and some other Sugdens in the family, but it is back in the mid 1700s where the name comes from (Agnes Sugden b 1753)

Squire is a forename found in the WR too, but according to elder family i remember, it has a different meaning than a passed on surname and was seen as cocking a snook at the Gentry in an act of defiance . How much truth is in that i dont know but it woudnt surprise me when you consider the harsh poaching laws and the "Bloody Code"