Author Topic: Fodderletter, Kirkmichael, Banffshire residence names  (Read 7185 times)

Offline Meringue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fodderletter, Kirkmichael, Banffshire residence names
« on: Sunday 03 August 14 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, can anyone help me with names of residences in the Fodderletter area of Kirkmichael, Banffshire?  I have tried old maps etc to no avail.  I have the following places mentioned on birth & marriage records as being at Fodderletter: East Bulbain, Balbain, Bailebain, Bailbain, Bulnabin, Bulnabine, Belnabing, Bulnabing, Buchnabine, and Buchnabing.  Some of the variants are due to transcription problems/errors.  Are these basically all the same place? Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fodderletter, Kirkmichael, Banffshire residence names
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 August 14 14:37 BST (UK) »
They are probably all the same place. Looking at Roy's mid 18th century military map on the National Library of Scotland free maps website, the nearest name in the Fodderletter area is "Balnaden". When I change to a 6"/mile 19th century Ordnance Survey map, it appears as "Belnedan".

Offline Meringue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 August 14 15:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you for you help   :D

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 August 14 08:24 BST (UK) »
They mostly look like transcriptions of the anglicised versions of Gaelic "baile bàn", which simply means "white farm". I'm not sure how the name would get changed from b*l*b*n to b*l*d*n, but it's possible.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Meringue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 August 14 11:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your information, Forfarian.   I've started going through all the copies of baptism registers and logging all the place names so that I can hopefully sort out transcription errors and phonetic alternative spellings and look for a place match on the very early maps.  It's proving quite helpful so far.  It's just such a shame that so many of the cottages seem to have gone to ruin, and I'm guessing that many of the names will have been lost to history for ever.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 August 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
Were any of your baptisms there late enough to be in the 1841 census?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 August 14 19:27 BST (UK) »
In addition, West Nor' West of Belnedan is Bualgorm, North is Baileamhuilinn, Ballantruan, Balranaich, Balnalon, Balannish and Balcorach.

Regards

Malky

Offline Meringue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 August 14 22:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Malky.

Forfaran - Bualnabine or Bulnabine (can't read it very clearly) appears to be in Inveraury, according to a baptism register of 1827/8, so I've separated that one from Fodderletter.

However, I have what looks something like Bualbain? or Boralbain? of Fodderletter that is still a bit of a mystery, which is also on the 1827/8 baptism register.  However, I know from an entry on the Status Animarum of 1828 that the same couple were living with the wife's parents at East Bulbain, Fodderletter with the children in question, so the two places must be different phonetic spellings of the same place.  Whether this is any of the places mentioned in previous posts or is a fallen-down property by the time of the first decent map, who knows?  At least I know it is Fodderletter, which is better than nothing.

Neither place appears on the records after 1841, and the family had moved to Lyngarrie by then anyway.

I think that having sorted through where the various Stuarts were from the record scans I have, I should be able to work out which are mine and which are from one of the other branches.

Thank you both very much for your help.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 August 14 07:45 BST (UK) »
One thing to note, there was/is an Easter Fodderletter, a Mid Fodderletter and a Wester Fodderletter.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/019ca/

Regards

Malky