Author Topic: Fodderletter, Kirkmichael, Banffshire residence names  (Read 7184 times)

Offline Meringue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fodderletter, Kirkmichael, Banffshire residence names
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 August 14 11:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Malky.  The four Fodderletters are still marked on all the maps I've used, so I was aware, but thanks for pointing it out.  It's just a shame that most of the records have omitted which Fodderletter people are at.  Most often, they just say Fodderletter, even when I have another record that clearly shows the person was at Mid Fodderletter, for example.  I'm trying to make that further division from the records I have, but it's like trying to sort a bowl of alphabet spaghetti in sauce into order in its bowl lol.  These Stuarts are slippery critters.

Kind regards,

Noelle

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 March 16 10:07 BST (UK) »
If you are still interested in Balneden - it is now run as a holiday let - 3 steading conversion cottages and the owner lives in the farmhouse.  It has tremendous views along the valley.  It is now called Balneden Steading and you will find it on various holiday cottage websites, or its own one.
Ali

Offline Meringue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 March 16 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ali.  I'll bear that in mind if I decide to take a holiday.  It's nice to think I could be staying in a place where my Stuart/McPherson ancestors once lived, though it's a lot more luxurious than anything they would have had in their day.

Kind regards

Noelle

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 15:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry, me again.  If you are still interested in Balnedan, check out a book of old photos of Tomintoul (it is a recent publication and easily found online).  It has two old photos of Balnedan - one with a female child in it - with a name, but I can't remember what it was! 

Offline Meringue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 10:25 BST (UK) »
I'll be sure to check it out.  Many thanks.  :)