Author Topic: Help with two 18th century marriages  (Read 3122 times)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://thegenealogycorner.wordpress.com/
    • View Profile
Help with two 18th century marriages
« on: Sunday 03 August 14 17:45 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me trace the marriage of Richard Allen and his wife Margaret (née ?). I believe Richard was the son of Richard Allen Sr. and Comfort Godsall, both of Colwall, Herefordshire.

Richard and Margaret had at least one son, William, baptised in Colwall on 22 July 1722 (according to FamilySearch).

In 1751 William Allen (here's hoping it's the same one!) married Elizabeth Symonds in Colwall. Their grave states Elizabeth died aged 76 in 1795, so born 1719. William died in 1804 aged 81, so born 1722-1723 (hence my assumption it's the same person).

I have not been able to prove Elizabeth's parentage. There is an Elizabeth Symonds baptised in Colwall in 1739, but the dates don't match the gravestone and moreover Elizabeth Symonds (b.1739) is mentioned by name as a Symonds (not an Allen) in her father Robert's will in 1780 (available on Ancestry).

Feeling I'm at a dead end ??? Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Cimbrio
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)
Shropshire: MOUND (Hope Bagot)
Worcestershire: PARKER (Kempsey)

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help with two 18th century marriages
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 September 15 15:54 BST (UK) »
Posting in the hope that someone out there reading the above post may be able to help?

Time has gone by but the brickwalls remain *frustrated*

Thanks!
Cimbrio
Herefordshire: ALLEN (Colwall), CARTWRIGHT (Kington & Almeley), DAVIS (Colwall), EVANS (Pembridge), GODSALL (Colwall), JONES (Whitbourne), MORRIS (Kington & Kinnersley), MOUND (Wormsley), TIPPINS (Staunton-on-Arrow), RODWAY (Colwall), VICKRESS (Wellington & Hope-under-Dinmore), WATKINS (Almeley)

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 September 15 18:27 BST (UK) »
Was William married twice?
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 September 15 14:59 BST (UK) »
Do you know that Elizabeth was a spinster upon her marriage to William?  She would have been aged around 36 at the time, so possibly a widow, unless you know for sure that she wasn't?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cimbrio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Hepburn and Galium,

In answer to your questions, I do not know whether William was married twice but have not found clues to indicate this. I believe there was at least another cousin called William Allen, m. Anne Hankins in 1745 in Colwall but this couple had children from 1747 to 1769, thus I don't think this is the same individual as my William Allen. Then again, I have not seen the original documents so I cannot rule out transcription errors.

I do not know whether Elizabeth was a spinster when she married William (again, have not seen the original doc.) but the age certainly does seem to indicate she could have been married before...

The brickwall continues...   :(

Cimbrio