Author Topic: Siggs Family  (Read 4188 times)

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Siggs Family
« on: Monday 04 August 14 04:56 BST (UK) »
Hi to all. I'm researching Matthew Siggs b 1753, Haverhill and his wife Elizabeth Baynes. Family search has a Matthew Siggs who died in Nov 1779. Can anyone tie these two Matthews together for me? Is he mentioned anywhere else?

Cheers
Jilly

Offline robesur

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Siggs Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 16:18 BST (UK) »
There was also a Matthew Siggs baptised in Haverhill 19 March 1775, the son of John and Ann so he could be that one also.
On the 7 Jan 1826 there is a burial of a Matthew Siggs in the parish of Shudy Camps, Cambridgeshire, about 4 or 5 miles from Haverhill, his age is given as 83 which would make a DoB about 1843. There is though also a burial of an Elizabeth Siggs in the same parish 24 Jan 1830, age 79, DoB c1854, were these husband and wife?

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 August 14 05:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks robesur for your reply. I always like to sift thru info sent and it has taken a little longer than I would have liked. I don't think the Matthew Siggs baptised in 1775 is my Matthew cause I think my Matthew was married in 1775. The Elizabeth Siggs sounds like mine though. I think my Matthew married Elizabeth Baynes in 1775 but this is what I can't confirm. Her dob seems to coincide with your date. The father of Matthew Siggs b 1753 may be Matthew Siggs b 1708 at Haverhill. I don't have a wife for Matthew the elder. cheers Jilly

Offline Kmsiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 April 18 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hello, how are you doing with your search for Mathew Siggs ? I’m a direct descendant  of his  second marriage and have a small amount of info, possibly you have more. Is there a way to compare notes on this site ? I have a tree made up on GenesReunited if it’s of any help to you. Thanks, Kevin Siggs.
Siggs of Suffolk, Cambridge, Essex, Chelsea and Fulham. Whiffing/Whiffen of Suffolk. Wise of North East Hampshire (Fleet, Church Crookham area)

Offline Kmsiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 April 18 23:16 BST (UK) »
As well as marrying Elizabeth Mathew was also married to Ann Leonard. She died in 1771 presumably from complications arising from childbirth as the child also died at the same time. There was one son survived from that marriage, John Siggs, he has many descendants ! Most spellings I've seen of Mathew's name use the single t. His son, James Whiffing Siggs, had 5 children who were baptised Elizabeth 1804, Mary Ann 1805, James Cracherode 1806, Charles Matthew 1808 and John Whiffing 1811. Elizabeth married someone with the surname Richmond and had 5 children before dying at the age of 34. Charles Matthew Siggs had a number of children by 2 different women, 8 by his second 'marriage' ( I don't think he married his second wife) one of which is my ancestor and 4 from his first marriage ( a school teacher who moved to York and took her children with her)
Siggs of Suffolk, Cambridge, Essex, Chelsea and Fulham. Whiffing/Whiffen of Suffolk. Wise of North East Hampshire (Fleet, Church Crookham area)

Offline jillyinnes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 April 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin
Am going away for three weeks. Will get back into this when I return.
cheers
Jill

Offline Kmsiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 May 18 14:06 BST (UK) »
My biggest problem with Matthew Siggs is proving a date of birth. I believe the Matthew recorded as dying in 1826 is him ( will leaving everything to youngest son Charles) but the age given would mean he was born 1743. According to his marriage license of 1775 to Elizabeth Baynes he would have been born in 1753 ( meaning he was married to Ann Leonard at the age of 16). A John Siggs married an Anne Whiffen in 1738 and I believe them to be his parents ( hence naming his son James Whiffen Siggs) but have also found no evidence for this. So

Offline Kmsiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 17:52 BST (UK) »
I'm looking at old research, I have Mathew as having a brother, John, born circa 1742. No idea where I found this information though ! Parents, John Siggs and Ann Whiffen.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 18:26 BST (UK) »
I'm looking at old research, I have Mathew as having a brother, John, born circa 1742. No idea where I found this information though ! Parents, John Siggs and Ann Whiffen.

This baptism is on FreeReg https://www.freereg.org.uk/
Haverhill (transcript) 1742 (no day or month shown) John SIGGS son of John and Anne

I assume the transcript is either Bishop's Transcript or Archdeacon's Transcript.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk