Author Topic: Prince Edward Island James McKenna (1821 -1881) & Mary Trainer (1822 - ?)  (Read 6691 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Prince Edward Island James McKenna (1821 -1881) & Mary Trainer (1822 - ?)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 December 14 04:39 GMT (UK) »
You cansee the McKena/McKenna in the Index, then browse to the actual pages for the actual handwritten images
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-26176-45778-20?cc=1937794&wc=M6PC-ZP6:238490801,238728401,238728402,238728403

Then more from later BMD info in Volume 2  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-26176-48599-18?cc=1937794&wc=M6PC-8MQ:238490801,238728401,238728402,238732601

There appears to be more than one Patrick and also more than one Bernard, perhaps one or both may have been another uncle to James?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 December 14 06:17 GMT (UK) »
I have to wonder if Thomas, along with several McKenna on page 51, belonged to the exact family...he lives right next door in 1881 to an Owen 26 years his senior...http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e325/e008113430.jpg

next 2  pages, 52&53 have lots more so they are all VERY close together:
Other older McKenna from Ireland on lot 22 ...Patrick 50 ,John age 70, Susan 58 another John further down page, 76 a Catherine 60
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e325/e008113431.jpg

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 December 14 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help.
James died 1881,I have his wife Mary Trainor residing with their son Patrick in 1881 census, I believe she passed away between 1881 and 1891 asi do not see her in the 1891 census.
As for daughter Bridget, I also have her marriage to Patrick Sheridan in Attleboro, Mass, US
The Beagan family connection is puzzling, I have to believe that they are related somehow..
Both families resided in Fort Augustus, PEI.
But I know from my father that his grandfparents were Patrick J McKenna & Margaret Kelly.
I found their parents names listed at an announcement for the marriage of Patrick & Margaret Kelly.
Listed as Jas (James) McKenna & Mary Trainor ,Margaret's parents were listed as well. (James Kelly & Bridget Gillan)
Quite possible that cousins came to PEI together with the tRainor's but I haven't found anything conclusive as of yet.
I will take a look at some of your links, whichI thank you for,
BTW the tree listed in showing the McKenna Gray tree is my site...
Thanks Dan

Posted on behalf of Dan who had clicked on the wrong button ;)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 December 14 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Dan the very first words of the query were that you were stuck ...needed help locating information about the parents of James McKenna & Mary Trainer??
 There was no Bridget listed, no Anne, nor the ancestors..child Susan was listed as born Ireland OR PEI... Nor was there a link to your online tree. ( where places of birth are stated for most, incl. specific locale in Ireland?)
 Also am wondering...Where was the ancestors/ location/ connection found and how was all that proven? J.J.

Offline danmckenna1961

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 December 14 23:02 GMT (UK) »
JJ,  When I initially posted, I was missing the parents James & Margaret Gray. Since posting I have received numerous leads. From this site as well as other sites. I did receive information that James and Margaret came to PEI aboard "The Margaret Pollard" in the early 1840's along with their children.
One of Bernard's descendants. (James brother) supplied me with the information that was passed down to her. I copied the message and saved it somewhere. I am in the process of organizing my information and leads.
As for the tree that I have posted, I recently posted that with some of the new information that I had received. Initially it was put up to allow distant relatives to look over and hopefully help with the research, confirm information or add to what I already have.
Again as I said, I am saving any replies, comments or any information and hope to get it all organized, as well as documentation confirming such.
Thanks again to everyone for all the help
Dan McKenna
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline scooper200

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 April 17 23:28 BST (UK) »
I am searching for a Mary Catherine McKenna (born 1875-1876)but I can't find any record of her in the birth records in PEI. Question: was St. Patricks of Fort Augustus the only Roman Catholic church on PEI in the 1800's? Mary Catherine (Kate) had some connection to Vernon River.

Offline danmckenna1961

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 03:55 BST (UK) »
In regards to Mary Catherine McKenna
St. Joachim's Roman Catholic is in Vernon River, PEI
In February 2010, St. Joachim's joined the newly-formed Holy Family Pastoral Unit with St. Patrick's, Fort Augustus and Our Lady of the Assumption, Stratford.
http://www.holyfamilypastoralunit.com/about/st_joachims.html
You can also get a copy of the cemetery transcripts @ http://peigs.ca/store/cemetery-transcripts/

I have a copy of this and will see if she is listed. Do you have any other information on her?
Parents, siblings or spouse?

Early settlers in this area were Scottish families who moved over from Tracadie and Irish immigrants who joined them later. A small log church was built at Waterside in 1804 and a second one a few years later near the water south of the present hall. A third church, constructed around 1830 and enlarged in the 1850s, stood close to today's cemetery.

In 1868, the present brick rectory was built, replacing an older one of age unknown. Since 1845, the parish has had a resident pastor.

In 1877 began the erection of the present magnificent brick church. It was consecrated by Bishop MacIntyre two years later, with Bishop Walsh of London giving the sermon. In 1902, the majestic pipe organ was installed.

Offline danmckenna1961

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 04:19 BST (UK) »
In regards to the transcripts at St Joachim's.
Unfortunately, I do not have that transcript.
I do have St Patrick's, St Bonaventure and St Ann's, as well as the Charlottetown RC Cemetery,
There are plenty of Mary's and plenty of Catherine's.
But none are listed as Mary Catherine,  I will look deeper for possible dates that match
The transcripts for St. Joachim's can be ordered online for $14.00 at the link on the previous message.
Dan

Offline scooper200

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 January 18 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information you provided. Sorry it took so long to get back to you but there are so many threads to follow, none of which have proved useful. I have found that Mary Kate's birth date could be sometime around 1868. She was somehow connected to a Susan McKenna of Vernon River who married a Phillip Rooney. Mary Kate spoke with a distinct Irish accent and gave her place of residence (and or birth) in the 1945 census as Carbonear, Newfoundland. There were McKennas (John and Elizabeth and family) who lived in Carbonear in the 1800's but left for Port Washington, U.S.A. where the daughters married. Mary Kate married Darius Lane of St. Brendan's Island, Bonavista Bay, Newfoundland, and lived in Gambo, Newfoundland until her death. I find the idea that she lived (or was born) in Carbonear as incredulous but stranger things have happened.If I could find her parents the mystery of Mary Kate would be solved. All the best and thank you for your efforts.
Frank Walsh.